Meeting the legend – JPSalas

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Thalamus
      @thalamus
      ContributorMemberModerator

So, I had this business trip where I knew that I’d have to change plane in Oslo on a monday afternoon. I also knew that there was going to be arranged a pinball tournament at my favorite place in the same city. What I did, was to fly out days in advance, book a hotel for some night privately in order to participate in the event.

T also thought to myself. How great wouldn’t it be to meet up with the legend JPSalas while being there ?!

So, I sent JP a short PM asking if he would be interessted to meet me. He quickly replied that he would. So, I spent a couple of hours with JP and his lovely wife Hilde. We did eat lunch together, and then walked up to “Tilt”.

I’m sure that many of you are wondering about who is the guy. Well, for the curious ones, you may have already gone to his website and had a peek. What the website doesn’t tell you is that the man himself is gentle and  smiling, just as the smurf avatar he uses.

So, here is a couple of pictures from our meetup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KN6Hxe7JNVov18Kz5
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/8CQxyuM8o8suSwdp9

On the first picture, you see him trying out Black Night Sword of Rage, for the very first time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Schreibi34
      Participant
        @schreibi34

Looks like you guys had fun!

Great to see the legend in person!

Thanks for sharing!

STAT
        Participant
          @stefanaustria
          MemberContributor

Very nice  :good:

JP get in love with Stern BK?

May we get a JP Version  ;-)

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Wow! Meeting the legend himself! Don’t get any better then meeting JP. Very cool @thalamus

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Bladeof
            Participant
              @bladeof

Thanks for sharing @thalamus, nice to put a face to a person who has brought me so much fun and enjoyment with his tables. IMHO it was TWO Legends meeting, Thank You for all that you do also. :good:

Loganchihuahua
              Participant
                @chihua07

That is quite a honor indeed.  He is the godfather of this hobby.  Thanks for sharing.

Seems like Norway has some pretty cool pinball spots. Tilt looks really cool.

TNT2
                Participant
                  @tnt2

Awesome. The guy is a pioneer in this hobby.

JR
                  Participant
                    @jfr1

Thanks for sharing @thalamus, nice to put a face to a person who has brought me so much fun and enjoyment with his tables. IMHO it was TWO Legends meeting, Thank You for all that you do also. :good:

That was perfect.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

That is quite a honor indeed.  He is the godfather of this hobby.  Thanks for sharing.

Seems like Norway has some pretty cool pinball spots. Tilt looks really cool.

I would not say that Norway is a mekka for pinball. After the information I gathered yesterday, it is only the 3 biggest cities in this country that has proper run pinball clubs. Oslo, Trondheim and Bergen. All require me to travel at least 500km. Had such fun each day. Yesterday, maybe the most fun. I ended up trying to figure out a slam tilt problem on Totem that was set up for the last day rotation. The guy I was working with insisted that we played some rounds for beers to verify that the machine was good to go. I didn’t tell him that I knew the machine quite well as I’ve had some stabs at the VP version. Ended up beating him time and time again and we got quite drunk in the end. Machine worked perfectly – and I wonder how we managed that – LOL ;-)

I want to add. The machine played very close to BorgDog’ physics. I simply played it like any of his Gottlieb’ releases.

Loganchihuahua
                      Participant
                        @chihua07

That is so fantastic that your VP practice and play paid off playing the real thing.  So cool.  What a great story.  I love that you enjoyed it over a beer or three :) and just had fun.  That’s what its all about!

JR
                        Participant
                          @jfr1

Love the Totem story! And Tilt looks to be a very cool bar in a great location. Did they still have a Banzai Run? What a bizarre table that looks to be. Thanks again!

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

At the moment there is unfortunately no Banzai Run no. Each time I’ve visited I’ve found that they have swapped out most of the machines they had last. For this competition they have Ghostbusters LE, No Fear, Totem, Attach from Mars, Medieval Madness, Dialed in, JJ Pirtates of the Carribean, Mousin’ Around, White Water, High Speed 2, Iron Maiden LE, Star Wars LE, Fish Tales, Gilligan’ Island, Addams Family, The Munsters, Deadpool and Black Knight Sword of Rage.

I met the guy that owns most of these machines ( except for the Stern’s ) and he told me that he lost count on how many he has a while ago. I’ve heard it is over 400. So, they are able to swap machines quite regularly. Was told that they will be holding a tournament in May next year where they will move out all the other games in order to give space for the pinballs.

I’m quite sure that I’ll attend that event :yes:

naeromagus
                            Participant
                              @naeromagus

Wow meeting the legendary jp in  person my heart would of been racing lol! . I’m glad to hear that you all had a nice lunch and played some pinball. My idea of a wonderful day.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

Well Thalamus, I think I hit the like button for almost every comment on this thread.  It wasn’t intentional, but if I missed one…I’m going back and liking it too!  Thanks again for sharing.

outhere
                                  @outhere
                                  MemberContributorvipModerator

Good things happening in the pinball world

roccodimarco
                                  Participant
                                    @roccodimarco

Hey, for anyone wanting to play Banzai Run, there is one at the Silver Ball Museum in Asbury Park NJ.   I was there this summer, and they have a LOAD of pins, inclduing Banzai!  A bit of a drive for some, but if you’re close to the area, there ya go!

JR
                                    Participant
                                      @jfr1

Definitely on my to-do list.  And Springsteen’s launching pad The Stone Pony is just a block down the road from there.

baalisan
                                      Participant
                                        @baalisan

This is so awesome Thalamus!  However I think the title of this thread was not entirely correct, it should be something like…The great meeting of the two legends – JPSalas and Thalamus!    :yahoo:

zimbakin
                                        Participant
                                          @zimbakin

Fantastic post man, thank you for sharing. Nice. But where is the photo of the other legend, Thalamus? ;)

Never take advice from me,
                                          you'll end up drunk.

sheltemke
                                          Participant
                                            @sheltemke

Fantastic post man, thank you for sharing. Nice. But where is the photo of the other legend, Thalamus? ;)

And as i see your WIP, the quality, your speed, your enthusiasm you are on the best way too sir :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?