This topic contains 174 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  RallyRally 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 161 through 175 (of 175 total)
  • Author
     grunger 
    Participant

Sparky shots are pretty much as the real machine IMHO….

The top post doesn’t is slow to drop, a very slow ball will give it time, but a normal speed shot won’t.
    This is the same on 85Vette’s table too, so I had assumed it was an emulation issue….

TNT2 
    Participant

Was playing this table today. It’s a combination of a very good table by Stern and an awesome recreation by Fren. Extremely fun to play.

Andypc 
    Participant

Table loads alright, but I get an error when I press the start button.

Line 185 (Null)

sw60.Isdropped=false

Any Suggestions?

TNT2 
    Participant

“Awesome…….”

TNT2 
    Participant

Table loads alright, but I get an error when I press the start button. Line 185 (Null) sw60.Isdropped=false Any Suggestions?

Were you ever able to figure out what was wrong?

freneticamnesic 
    vipModeratorMember

Some users who have liked this topic:

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Looks great fren!

We need a POP front end signature!!! Or no?

TNT2 
    Participant

Love this table.  :good:

RallyRally 
    Participant

Ok, so I waited 7 months to see if someone would post an answer and no luck.

I am still not able to run this table on my XP SP3 machine, using the latest version of both VP 10.3 and SAM-modified VPM 2.9, with the Machine Terminated Before Initialized startup error. As far as I can tell, this is a memory related issue.

The table will run in VP 10.1 with any SAM modified version of VPM if I use the mtl_116 rom and change Max Texture Dimension video settings value to 512. I must change the video texture to 512, close VP and re-open with it saved for this to even work. No other rom version or later version of VP will work, since texture dimension of 512 is no longer supported. As you may have noticed, mtl_116 is a smaller rom image than mtl_163 or mtl_164, and I must surmise that is why only it seems to work. I feel like if the size of the VP table file was also smaller, I would not have this problem but am not certain. I have pretty much given up on playing Metallica in VPX, but if you have any suggestions that are not already covered on pages 5-6, please feel free to offer them.

Sliderpoint 
    Participant
    MemberContributor

Well if you think size is a potential issue, you can go into the image manager and export all the images that are 1024xsomething and higher and resize them down to 512xX or smaller in your favorite graphics program and then re-import them.

RallyRally 
    Participant

Came back to this recently and took Sliderpoint’s advice: I exported most of the images and started cutting their size in half, then re-imported. The vpx table file size got down to 34.6 MB before it finally worked in VPX 1.3(using the 116 rom I mentioned before). Max texture of 2048 is allowable at this size. Plays great! Glad I can enjoy it after nearly a year going without Metallica.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

You must have a old Video card? I sure hope your not running xp still? :). Great you got it running finally

We need a POP front end signature!!! Or no?

RallyRally 
    Participant

I am still on XP unfortunately. I’ve got about 70 tables and manage to still have fun. Some tables I have done mods to get around difficulties, but I try not to outright put in cheats, as that just makes gameplay boring. This version of Metallica has its share of unpredictable ball behavior, and flipper accuracy could be alot better, but I still manage to get high scores with persistence. I’ve made it work with what I have and haven’t given up. I’m sure it will improve significantly with a system upgrade, but perhaps it’s proof that you can still get plenty of enjoyment out of a 10 year old machine with VPX.

Thalamus 
    Participant
    ContributorMember

I understand your reasoning for changing tables with your current computer. I’m quite sure that once you invest in new hardware you will see that some of the adjustments you’ve made will be thrown in the bin. If you eg. can’t run Metallica because of performance problems, you are probably also having other delays that you go around by tuning. The good thing I guess, is that you get to be quite skilled at that if you still want to change things after an upgrade.

RallyRally 
    Participant

Metallica is an interesting predicament for my setup because the table itself already consists in a number of significant shots for progress that are also precarious, even with precise shots. The snake rejects about half the shots to it, and SDTM drains from Sparky rebounds or missed left ramp shots are a random hazard, just to name a few. So I’ve found the key to enjoying this table is to shrug off a sh!t game and just keep playing. Eventually you start to focus and your luck improves and the scores get much, much better, and all you did was keep trying. I did raise the height of the left outlane/inlane divider a bit, but I did that 2 days after first downloading this table over a year ago, so there are plenty of other challenges to deal with. I’ve also never achieved a crank it up mode, but you don’t necessarily have to play that way.

I wonder though, since I am playing rom version 116, is the scoring more fair and balanced in the newer updates?

Viewing 15 posts - 161 through 175 (of 175 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2018 VPinBall.com

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account