Metallica WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    freneticamnesic
      @freneticamnesic
      vipModeratorMember

pro 164

Punch it!

nate
      Participant
        @nodzebra

sweet thanks ;)

Denzel
        Participant
          @zwylde

Hi guys, new member of VP.com here.

Just wanted to say hi and that I’m really looking forward to this (although, my cab does struggle a bit with VPX:-( – I understand that there has been a VP9/Physmod version finished for some time now – hopefully that will be released soon too; is Met Pro confirmed out of production now?; how about The Walking Dead?).

Thanks guys; have a great Xmas and NY!

Blashyrk
          Participant
            @blashyrk

I think Stern has renewed the metallica lisence,I read somewhere @ pinside that there will be more pro’s produced in January

Sliderpoint
            Participant
              @sliderpoint
              MemberContributor

is Met Pro confirmed out of production now?; how about The Walking Dead?).

I don’t think this forum for that question.

Denzel
              Participant
                @zwylde

Cheers guys – was just curious; I have no qualms in playing the table(s) on my cab at this time :good: ; very excited.

Phil Docker
                Participant
                  @dock

Other websites have the rule about ‘a table being out of production’, and another VP site waits for (I think) 4 years.
                  It is purely a rule for those two sites, it is not ‘law’.
                  Some people say an ‘agreement exists between VP and Gary Stern’. Others like me thinks it is a load of bulls-hit.
                  This game is going to be good – the authors’ tables always are quality. But no matter how good it is, it will never make a difference to Sterns’ game sales. It’s not as if we are making ‘replica’/copy pinball tables and shaving $1500 off the price.
                  I personally know people in the Pinball world who will play VP before they purchase the real game. So this version could make quite a few people part with hard earned cash for the real thing.

really
                  Participant
                    @st3rn

Rules/laws, I guess VP and FP do get asked sometimes by Stern or Jersey Jack not to host a machine. But seriously, come on, like I can afford a $8,000.00 or $10.000.00 pinball machine. I have take myself to the bowling alley like everyone else who wants to play some pins. Other than a copyright or license, I can’t even see why the manufactures get mad at all, unless they’re hoping sell the VP to Pinball Arcade or something along those lines.

James K
                    Participant
                      @hiljak

Sweet, Fren! Gonna have to dig out an old metallica T-shirt to wear when I fire this baby up for the first time! :yes:

James K
                      Participant
                        @hiljak

Also, slightly off topic. What kind of card are you running in your cab? I’ve noticed my cab struggles a bit with the sopranos vpx table. I think it had a 760 gtx tho which is decent. Just wondering if I should upgrade.

James K
                        Participant
                          @hiljak

OK cab is i7-4770, 16gb ram, 760 gtx but the hardware is over a year old now and I guess a bit dated. Any suggestions?

freneticamnesic
                            @freneticamnesic
                            vipModeratorMember

I’ve never seen it. Look here’s how I see it – these tables are being made, they’ve been made, they’ll continue to be made. It should make no difference whether that’s public or private sharing of them. It certainly doesn’t matter in other industries. You can go defend yourself to the RIAA or MPAA, and tell them that you only shared the album or movie with “friends” and see if they care.

This hobby is entirely different, we can argue it over and over but the fact is, VP, FP, TPA, they’re helping with the sale of pinball machines. I see more tables on route, they’re making more money, people are more aware about them. I’m excited to see what TPA has in store for modern Stern table releases, and I’m always excited to see and play the new Stern games on location. I’m not familiar with these “handshake” deals I hear about elsewhere, if it’s not going to be a public statement then I don’t see why we should care. If anyone comes to me from the industry and says, “hey, we’d really appreciate it if you stopped hosting these games” or “wait before they’re out of production” then absolutely, that’s not a battle I’m going to engage and I fully respect their request.

That has not been the case, I’m not here to hurt pinball. I want to promote it. I do that by creating tables I enjoy, or in some cases, tables I may never play. Star Trek and Metallica have taken so many of my quarters locally it’s ridiculous. I spend a lot of time on these tables and I put a lot of money into pinball in my city. VP is merely supplemental.

If I hear anyone say they decided not to buy a machine because the “VP version is good enough” I’ll call their bullshit. I’ve never seen it work that way. It just doesn’t happen.

That’s my take on the web of confusion that has been created regarding “rules”

Punch it!

freneticamnesic
                              @freneticamnesic
                              vipModeratorMember

James K, that really should be fine. That’s better than my setup and I have no issues. What AA setting are you using in VP? What about in NVIDIA control panel? is AO on? etc

Punch it!

Paulo Carvalho
                              Participant
                                @paulohotline

James, as well, if you have not done this setting adjustment in your Nvidia Control panel, try it:

maximum pre-rendered frames settings…

Solution for NVidia:
                                Go to the control panel and set the global “maximum pre-rendered frames” to 1, as in the following picture:

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/6365-If-you-re-experiencing-flipper-delay-in-TPA-PC-version-please-read-this

[Paulo Carvalho Mobile - 204-294-4389]
                                http://www.pinballowners.com/paulohotline
                                "Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"

James K
                                Participant
                                  @hiljak

I’m not at home until tommorow but I know i had to turn on one of the aa settings within vpx (the first I option I think) because without it, I had some subtle horizontal lines on the sopranos table. Havent changed any of nvidia control panel settings. What are the recommended settings and I will try those and report back.

rocknroll
                                  Participant
                                    @rocknroll

Gimme Fuel, Gimme Fire, Gimme that which I desire OOH!! :yahoo: Can’t wait. :good:

Phil Docker
                                    Participant
                                      @dock

Yeah – the rules are non existent – like a fable!

I would encourage you to carry on making the VP tables, it is not doing anyone or any company any harm.

Stern would of sent out legal letters by now IF they were bothered. Clearly they are not because SO many Stern games have been reproduced as VP/FP etc.

In the past people have also done FP tables using the same graphics, but without the real ROM.

It is a whole conversation that has been had countless times before. Not worth going into it as it is well documented on other sites.

Very happy that vpinball.com has no rules reference this.

PinBill
                                      Participant
                                        @pinbill

I’ve never seen it. Look here’s how I see it – these tables are being made, they’ve been made, they’ll continue to be made. It should make no difference whether that’s public or private sharing of them. It certainly doesn’t matter in other industries. You can go defend yourself to the RIAA or MPAA, and tell them that you only shared the album or movie with “friends” and see if they care.

This hobby is entirely different, we can argue it over and over but the fact is, VP, FP, TPA, they’re helping with the sale of pinball machines. I see more tables on route, they’re making more money, people are more aware about them. I’m excited to see what TPA has in store for modern Stern table releases, and I’m always excited to see and play the new Stern games on location. I’m not familiar with these “handshake” deals I hear about elsewhere, if it’s not going to be a public statement then I don’t see why we should care. If anyone comes to me from the industry and says, “hey, we’d really appreciate it if you stopped hosting these games” or “wait before they’re out of production” then absolutely, that’s not a battle I’m going to engage and I fully respect their request.

That has not been the case, I’m not here to hurt pinball. I want to promote it. I do that by creating tables I enjoy, or in some cases, tables I may never play. Star Trek and Metallica have taken so many of my quarters locally it’s ridiculous. I spend a lot of time on these tables and I put a lot of money into pinball in my city. VP is merely supplemental.

If I hear anyone say they decided not to buy a machine because the “VP version is good enough” I’ll call their bullshit. I’ve never seen it work that way. It just doesn’t happen.

That’s my take on the web of confusion that has been created regarding “rules”

Here’s my take on the matter for what it’s worth. I don’t believe these tables take away from anything in real life. As much as a resurgence as pinball has had recently, it’s still not like it’s on every street corner like it used to be. I’m in the fortunate situation that I’m in Chicago and have a lot of options around me, and some nice friends that have 30+ games in their collections that are close by. Point is that until you get to test something out for awhile you don’t really get a good feel for the rules and gameplay. Even on location sometimes games don’t work correctly, or the sound is turned down and you can’t experience it. If you don’t have access to a new game in a home how are you supposed to know if you want to buy it or not? Especially when these games cost $5-8k a piece. Look at the mobile platform for example, a lot of devs offer a “free” version to try before you buy. They are trying to convince you their app is worth the 2 bucks they want you to spend. With pinball, you’re expected to drop $8k if you don’t have access to one locally, and then pray that you like the rules and gameplay? That’s a ridiculous model.
                                        At least with VP we can test the new tables, and I would argue that it promotes sales for Stern rather than hinder them. If I put 100 games on Metallica and decide I like the rules, and gameplay, then I’d consider buying one.
                                        Finally, let’s be honest VP will never replace the real world experience. Not to detract from all of the hard work everyone has put into the software and table development, but it will never be like playing the real thing. That argument is silly too. It’s like saying playing Need for Speed is the same experience as driving a real Lamborghini. There is no comparison. What VP allows us all to do though is get 90% of the experience. You can fire up a shiny new table and SEE what it’s supposed to look like in real life, you can HEAR the proper sound emulation, and you can play and enjoy the tables. I think it’s a good tool to help learn tables, and make an educated decision about what games to purchase next. Thanks to VP I had the opportunity to play Indiana Jones, and Scared Stiff for the first time. I loved them so much I bought them both, and put money back into the hobby, and kept it going for someone else too. New table releases will only help the community, and new Stern sales. That’s my 2 cents.

really
                                        Participant
                                          @st3rn

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Master of Puppets table and the new one? Is the ROM different? I know the silver face toy isn’t in the newer pin.

Hurry hurry hurry, I’ve been sitting here all day waiting for Metallica!

James K
                                          Participant
                                            @hiljak

Wow, Fren! Looks and plays so nice! Thank you and you’re a BOSS!! :yahoo:

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 123 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?