Mini Pin Advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mrangrygrandpa
    Participant
      @mrangrygrandpa

Hi guys. I’m new around here and will be building out a Mini VPin sometime here within the next month. What started out as a machine for Mame has turn into a Virtual Pinball machine now and will be adding some arcade goodness to it later in the future.

For now, the computer I’ve got is working great and i’ll be using a 27″ IPS Monitor as my playfield with a 19″ as my backglass. I’ve got Visual Pinball/Future Pinball/Zen Pinball FX2/Pinball X all up and running. So I’ve got the majority of the software down and the biggest hurdle for me will be the woodwork.

I’ve been using this setup for a few weeks now with the 2 screens, but I’m thinking about biting the bullet and getting the PinDMD v3 and a coin door. Since it’s pretty darn expensive I figured I better consult some experts! My main questions today are:

• Does anyone have a PinDMD v3? Is it easy to setup? Does it pretty much work with all the different software?
      • Is a coin door on a Mini VPin too much? Do you think it will be too big and/or look dumb?

I’ve got a VirtuaPin Digital Plunger v3 on preorder (really hoping it will ship soon since they said 1-2 weeks) and I’ve already got a bunch of arcade buttons that I will steal from other controllers so I think I’m covered on most of the other things. I was trying to keep the cost down for this and add on things like the door and dmd later, but I figured since I haven’t built the cabinet yet, I might either work in the dimensions of these items or just go ahead and buy them and suffer the wrath of my wife.

Anyways, thanks for your time and advice.

freneticamnesic
        @freneticamnesic
        vipModeratorMember

I know nothing about the pindmd so I’m no help there

I do think a coin door is overkill, especially at that size. If you just want the look (like I did) you have some options, you can get crafty and make one out of styrene or something similar, foam core etc. I 3D printed a coin door for my minipin, it used a 17″ LCD for the playfield so it was substantially smaller. Here’s what it looked like before and after I painted it:

A real coin door would just look odd, and likely eat into the real estate on the front of your cabinet

Punch it!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Ummm… is not 3d printing a coindoor a little “overkill” LOL! nice! :good: PUNCH IT!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

freneticamnesic
            @freneticamnesic
            vipModeratorMember

No.

Punch it!

mrangrygrandpa
            Participant
              @mrangrygrandpa

You’re probably right about the size, so I didn’t go with the coin door. I did read a bunch of posts on vpforums about the DMD and watched some YouTube videos… so I may or may not have just ordered that  :)

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

No.

Kinda

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

No.

Kinda

Hey, if I had a 3d printer I might have done the same thing  :good:

AndersE
                  Participant
                    @anderse

Cool hehe.. I  have a tip here:  If you up your extrusion rate a tiny amount you will get better infill on the top-layers. And if you print it with ABS

you can acetone-smooth it so it would look really smooth.

This reminds me that i must upload my 3d printed rgb flipperbuttons design. Yes i also use a 3d printer for my vpin :)

I have printed leafswitch holders and pinball button nut (my own design)  with place for 3-led rgb strip (looks really good with clear buttons).

A box for the pinscape controller, enclosure for the ccd sensor for the plunger, legs for my electronic boards, spacers for pc motherboard into cab,

clear/diffusion flasher domes for 3w rgb leds and strobes, encasement for 3pcs of rotating beacons.. and probably some i forgot.

I know nothing about the pindmd so I’m no help there I do think a coin door is overkill, especially at that size. If you just want the look (like I did) you have some options, you can get crafty and make one out of styrene or something similar, foam core etc. I 3D printed a coin door for my minipin, it used a 17″ LCD for the playfield so it was substantially smaller. Here’s what it looked like before and after I painted it: A real coin door would just look odd, and likely eat into the real estate on the front of your cabinet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?