Mission Pinball Framework to Visual Pinball

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Sliderpoint
    Participant
      @sliderpoint
      MemberContributor

I get the same message.  I ran it with virtual -X and I see it starts with ‘GAME OVER’.  But I don’t get that far when starting just mpf both.  Agreed something seems missing or not registering correctly.  Will check log files in a bit.

-Mike

mfuegemann
      Participant
        @mfuegemann

Hi BorgDog,

VPX must be run as Admin. MPF has to be started with normal permissions, though.
        The file locations do not matter. I have the VPX table in the MPF root folder with a subdirectory for the MPF machine.

The current P-ROC bridge starts MPF using the cGameName Directory on Controller.run. Maybe I will try to implement that in the VPX bridge too.

Michael

Cadelle32
        Participant
          @cadelle21

I have no idea what I’m talking about but I have been following the MPF progress, I am wondering if it might be possible to run the VPX bridge along with the Spike bridge which would suddenly be a game changer making spike and spike2 sort of emulated.  Please let me know if I am way off base on this it’s the only way I’ll learn

mfuegemann
          Participant
            @mfuegemann

Hi Cadelle32,

the Spike bridges are a way to control a real Spike pin via MPF. All the rules and shows have to be coded/configured in MPF. As far as I know it is not possible to extract game logic or media from a Spike game.

Michael

Cadelle32
            Participant
              @cadelle21

I mean couldn’t we put a Motherboard, hard drive and power supply with linux on it, with a exact copy of the spike firmware in our machines creating a cpu node then use the MPF spike bridge and VPX bridge on our machine computer with a serial cable connecting the 2 computers, then a  sd card reader to read the game code.  Again I have no idea what I’m talking about. please inform me

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

Hi BorgDog,

VPX must be run as Admin. MPF has to be started with normal permissions, though.

The file locations do not matter. I have the VPX table in the MPF root folder with a subdirectory for the MPF machine.

The current P-ROC bridge starts MPF using the cGameName Directory on Controller.run. Maybe I will try to implement that in the VPX bridge too.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

running VP as admin did the trick (wonder why that is?).  pretty cool  :good:

Would definitely be nice to have controller start MPF as well. Looking at your vpx script and the MPF config it generally looks pretty straight forward.  I have a couple MPF projects that would be cool to have run in VPX.

Thanks again for getting this working,

Dan

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Played around with this a bit to see how to do MPF tables that are setup for P-roc or OPP or FAST or whatever.  Typically on those switch, coils, etc have numbers like 0-1-0 or 1-0 etc, to have those work with VP it is as simple as having the number in quotes “0-1-0” in the vp script like so:

Controller.Switch(“0-1-0”) = True

I just tested it with one switch, but should work for all types I would think.

mfuegemann
                  Participant
                    @mfuegemann

Hi BorgDog,

this is cool, as we can use the switch, light and solenoid numbers for the real hardware in MPF and have not to change the code after testing/developing with VPX.
                    I am fighting my way through modes and shots to port my Fast Draw to MPF as a VPX test table.

For me it is just a convinient way to code table features and even decide if a table is possible even before I start with real hardware.

Cadelle32
                    Participant
                      @cadelle21

mfuegemann, isn’t the game logic built into a cpu node, which is just basically a linux computer running the switches, lights, etc. just like what we all use everyday, the only real difference is the calls are to an sd card.  Isn’t MPF linux compatible, which could be put on the board running the spike bridge to the SD card, and running the VPX bridge to our windows computer.

Cadelle32
                      Participant
                        @cadelle21

I feel like I’m over simplifying it, but I wonder if that is the problem with the Spike system,  people are trying to connect to the system when in fact the system has to connect to you

mfuegemann
                        Participant
                          @mfuegemann

Hi Cadelle32,

I am not sure about the way the Spike System is installed on Stern’s machines and what part the SD card is playing.
                          For me MPF is a cool way to build me a “real” machine one day. I think it will be “The Web”, as I can use the media files, I collected for the VisualPinball version.

If You want to proceed with the Spike Emulation, good luck. I cannot help You there, unfortunately.

Regards

Michael

mfuegemann
                          Participant
                            @mfuegemann

Hi BorgDog,

the String values for object numbers are working only for switches. The function definitions inside the VPX Hardware Definition in MPF are set to expect integer values for the ChangedLamps and ChangedSolenoids functions.

This is necessary to work with the normally used code, I added in VPX too. If possible, I will ask the devs if we can add two new funtions ChangedLamps2 and ChangedSolenoids2 (or so) that can deal with string parameters. The code to work with this in VPX I have ready.

Michael

mfuegemann
                            Participant
                              @mfuegemann

So here is the updated Readme text and the demo archive. I tried to upload it to the Tutorial section, but I seem to have no permissions to do that.

Mission Pinball Framework:
                              https://missionpinball.org/

MPF_VPX_Bridge by jabdoa2:
                              https://github.com/missionpinball/mpf-vpcom-bridge

Installation:

1. Register mpf-visual-pinball bridge (run cmd shell as Administrator):
                              python register_vpcom.py –register

2. Create Your MPF table folder. In Your config.yaml enter:
                              hardware:
                              platform: virtual_pinball

3. In VPX edit script and replace the controller with:
                              Set Controller = CreateObject(“MPF.Controller”)

To run a game:

1. start MPF (mpf both), wait until the display has been initialized
                              2. start VPX (as Administrator).
                              3. Run VPX table.

Remarks:
                              The setting of cGamename in VPX is not used to establish or check the connection.
                              The VPX Bridge connects to the running MPF.

Switch numbers can be of type integer or string. (use quotation marks for strings in VPX: “0-1” od “sf1”)
                              Numbers of Lamps and Solenoids must be of type integer for the moment.

To code a pulse event (Standup Targets, Bumpers, Slingshots) set the switch to True on the Hit event and add a timer (150 or 200ms)
                              to set the switch back to False. Be careful with Drop Targets and Slingshots, here the built-in timer cannot be used as it is used for the animation.

Autofire Solenoids (Bumpers, Slingshots) need some special care. In VPX use the built-in functionality (Bumper_Hit, Slingshot_slingshot) and ignore the solenoid calls from MPF. Enabling/disabling such autofire_coils depending on a specific game mode will perhaps require an artifical lamp to tell VPX what to do.
                              To receive readable solenoid calls in VPX I had to add a coil_player section in MPF for the autofire_coils.

The flippers needed an entry in the coil_player too. In VPX the flippers will be held up while the main flipper coil or the hold coil is energized.

Have fun
                              Michael

2 users thanked author for this post.
                              BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Hi BorgDog,

the String values for object numbers are working only for switches. The function definitions inside the VPX Hardware Definition in MPF are set to expect integer values for the ChangedLamps and ChangedSolenoids functions.

This is necessary to work with the normally used code, I added in VPX too. If possible, I will ask the devs if we can add two new funtions ChangedLamps2 and ChangedSolenoids2 (or so) that can deal with string parameters. The code to work with this in VPX I have ready.

Michael

@mfuegemann
                                , just saw this.

Not sure I follow everything you are saying, but that sounds like a serious drawback if we can’t use the real hardware definitions for those.  MPF certainly works with many things in “number”, not just integers, so not sure why that would be that way. I would definitely want to be able to run a machine built in MPF for P-ROC or FAST or OPP hardware and not have to change all the numbering to have it work. Have you reached out to jabdoa on this?

mfuegemann
                                Participant
                                  @mfuegemann

Hi Borgdog,

I am in touch with jabdoa. If things go well, we can add the string type numbers for lamps and solenoids. I will post the updates here.

Michael

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

Cool, thanks.

mfuegemann
                                    Participant
                                      @mfuegemann

Hi Borgdog,

on my local MPF dev install I changed the virtual_pinball hardware platform and extended the bridge. Now I can use string type numbers for all objects.
                                      The code is not as lean as the existing “GetchangedSolenoids” call but I will try to improve it.

Michael

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

Nice.  I saw your postings over on mpf users google group as well.

Sliderpoint
                                        Participant
                                          @sliderpoint
                                          MemberContributor

Man, I am bummed I can’t figure out why this doesn’t work for me.   I can’t get past the “ActiveX component can’t create object: ‘MPF.Controller’.

I have completely reinstalled windows (win10, not saving any apps), then VP, then MPF.  And I still get that message.   Running as admin or not doesn’t matter.  Everything works individually.  VP works (including p-roc tables like CCC and evil dead).  I can run MPF  as well (demo_man, tutorials, etc).   Anyone have any ideas?

-Mike

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

have you tried running the python register_vpcom.py –register command from an admin command prompt?  shouldn’t need it, but it shouldn’t need vp as admin either.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?