mk47?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mk47
    Participant
      @mk47

Hi, I’m Markus.

I built the first version of my Virtual Pin Cab back in 2014.

So far I wasn’t active in “international” virtual pinball forums, but somewhat behind the scenes.
      For example I helped mjr a bit with the pinscape controller expansion board concept and proposed to leverage the TLC 5940.
      And maybe I was the one of the first to come up with a 5 monitor setup back in 2017 when I integrated two 7″ Displays mounted in a real apron. One shows the instruction card (guess why PinballY has that option) the other one mirrors the DMD. The effect of the real apron is that the table on the 40″ playfield gets anti-stretched and looks more like the dimensions of a real pinball machine.

After we had the incredible pinscape controller in place I went crazy and mounted 17(!) used solenoids of 5 different kind and sizes at different places in my cab and started experimenting with DOF. Thanks to online configtool we have the possibility to share a common configuration. which offers a great base for everyone’s individual setup. But if you have a closer look, you recognize that you can get much better “feedback” from your toys mounted in the cab if you “tweak” them individually:

• solenoids have different sizes and characteristics
      • shaker, gear and fan motors have different sizes and turn at different frequencies
      • LED stripes might need different brightness levels if mounted along the playfield or under cab

Since it doesn’t make any sense to do such adjustments individually per table in the online configtool I came up with my own solution to do it rule based and automated. As I was asked to share it I started to build a basic UI and finally published the DOF Configtool Client.

Nowadays the name of the tool doesn’t fit well anymore because I started integrating more and more features for regular administration tasks that have to be done on a virtual pinball machine. And I still have many ideas in mind and I’m interested in your feedback and feature requests. (And contributors would be welcome, too!)

That leads me to the reason why I wrote this introduction. The github issue queue isn’t a good place to discuss new feature requests or to answer questions about “tweaks”. Therefore I’m looking for a “home”. @randr What’s your opinion about having a topic in FRONT END SUPPORT?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

I can sure setup anything needed just let me know what you want. I’ve not heard of this tool before so just looking up your videos/github now.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

mk47
        Participant
          @mk47

@randr thanks for your reply. I’m close to the 0.6.2 release with some new features not yet shown in any video or described somewhere. And that’s what I want to change. I think of a beta thread like other tools do, to give testers links to fresh builds and to gather feedback before a “stable” release.
          And I think that there’s a need for a support thread or channel where I (or users) could answer question for example regarding rule based tweaks.

bord
            @bord
            MembervipContributorModerator

Wow. Looks really cool! Love this kind of innovation and the willingness to better the VP community. Following w/ interest.

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

@mk47 Let me know how you want it setup. Support thread area name and anything else needed and I can add it for you.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

mk47
              Participant
                @mk47

@randr that would be great. Even if the name doesn’t fit the tool perfectly anymore, I’m not a friend of renaming. So having a “DOF Configtool Client” section in FRONT END SUPPORT would be nice. Time will tell if anything else is needed.

outhere
                  @outhere
                  MemberContributorvipModerator

I think this would nice
                  Have the website be the place where you Set the type of hardware you have and DOF info like it is now
                  Then download the files to a program to Modify them to match your system With more options than what’s the website offers
                  I was informed it would bog down the website too much to have these options out there
                  Right now on the website if you change something on the right, Nothing with that game is ever updated again
                  We could have things in the program were you could just block certain lines from being updated And with other options that @mk47 is already providing
                  Have the default for all and  a default per game

mk47
                  Participant
                    @mk47

I think this would nice

Have the website be the place where you Set the type of hardware you have and DOF info like it is now

Then download the files to a program to Modify them to match your system With more options than what’s the website offers

I was informed it would bog down the website too much to have these options out there

Right now on the website if you change something on the right, Nothing with that game is ever updated again

We could have things in the program were you could just block certain lines from being updated And with other options that @mk47 is already providing

Have the default for all and a default per game

When I started The DOF Configtool Client about one year ago I contacted arngrim. I told him about my ideas but we agreed that the online tool should be “stable” and that it already drives its resources to the limit. So I have to “incubate” my enhancements in a client.

Yes, and this was one of my two biggest concerns. The other one was that you might have to the same thing on the right agian and again for a lot of tables.

@outhere
                    Did you try my tool already? I think everything you describe is already in place :yes:

The only exception is that you don’t “block” a line but use “tweaks” to turn it into your variant after each update from the online tool. This approach is much more powerful! But I understood that it is on the other hand complicated to get used to these rule based tweaks. Therefore I created https://github.com/mkalkbrenner/dof_configtool_client/issues/81 to provide an editing similar to the online tool, which seems to me like exactly what you describe :good:

mk47
                    Participant
                      @mk47

FYI As first post in the new forum I just anounced the 0.6.2 release.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?