Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    bord
    @bord
    MembervipContributorModerator

This will be a slow-burn as I don’t expect to have this project complete until summer, but it is in progress and seems like it would be fun to share here.

In August of 2019 I put an absentee bid on a Moulin Rouge at an estate sale. Flippers were clearly busted in the listing photos and there was some paint damage on the playfield. Lots of nerves when I got the call one Friday morning telling me I got it for less than I had set my max bid at.

IMG_20190809_155315973

At 78,361 plays it has certainly gotten some love.

IMG_20190809_155326532

One of the biggest risks in picking up a project EM isn’t whether or not it will work again (it will) but whether or not it will be a fun game. I spent the first couple days waiting for flipper rebuild parts just staring at the playfield trying to figure out if the gameplay and rules would warrant more than a few games.

IMG_20190817_112644827

It didn’t take much to get it cleaned up and running. At some point someone had done some really poor work trying to get the flippers working again. @scottacus was helpful in talking me through some EOS switch issues I was having with the flippers. With that solved there were just some small gameplay issues that needed to be ironed out.

IMG_20190822_184837504

So to the question of fun:

• huge challenge to complete the objectives? Yes.
    • satisfying skill shot? Yes.
    • risk/reward scoring opportunities? Yes.
    • fast action from kickers/slings/bumpers? Yes.
    • unique layout? Yes.
    • non-symmetrical layout? No.

Fun in almost all categories. The major objective is to light up the painting of 19th century Paris on the backglass. This is done by completing 1-10 rollovers/targets. The major reward here is a special and lit 100 bumper. There is a secondary score building opportunity by completing the A-B-C kicker holes. Thankfully this is a one-player game so you can build on your progress throughout the game. No one is going to complete the objectives on a single ball.

IMG_20190818_124647044

Our family likes to play socially so we played it for a few months almost daily before we started seeing significant new paint flaking due to the criss-cross nature of the flipper-area kickers. Then I had to pull the plug and put it into hibernation.

BorgDog
    Participant
    @borgdog
    MemberContributorvip

Look forward to following along.

Not a fan of symmetrical layouts?  I really enjoy both the ones I have, pinball pool and count-down, but then you can never have too many drop targets either.  One nice thing with symmetrical is that you get good at shots from both sides, right now I am getting really good at alley passes from the left side (alien star), but can’t hit one from the right to save my life.

BorgDog
    Participant
    @borgdog
    MemberContributorvip

Oh, I forgot to add that if you have a bunch of free time turbografx7 is currently doing a playfield restoration stream on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/turbografx7/ that has lots of neat tips and tricks.  They are 5 sessions into it at the moment doing an alien star.

bord
    @bord

One real pain point from day 1 was the backglass. The interactive feature is a painting of Paris that is hidden behind mirroring and that lights up in pieces as you complete 1-10 switches.

bg_full

My copy? All the mirroring was gone and sealed up from behind with tape by a previous owner. It looks significantly more miserable in person.

bg_painting

Although the scans hide a lot of the damage that you see when lit from behind, the degradation to the faces of the backglass characters show that this particular piece of glass isn’t salvageable. My daughter hates the backglass because “the people look gross.”

bg_face1

bg_face2

A recent re-screened version with proper mirroring is well-regarded but listed as sold out:

Untitled-1

An email to Ron Webb to request to be put on a list in case of a reprint revealed that he had one in storage that he would be willing to sell.

Now normally I’m a pretty frugal individual. I scrape the last tiny bit out of the bottom of a yogurt container and never leave the lights on in a room when I leave. Were the primary gimmick of the backglass not a one-way mirrored painting, I would have touched up my scan and had it printed on plastic and been happy with the results. But some idiot part of me decided that since the game would stick around for a while and the chances of finding another backglass were slim, I would spend more for the replacement backglass than I did for the entire game and the parts to get it working again.

The new backglass is in a box in my basement. It looks incredible. The purchase saved me dozens of hours of rebuilding the screen printing in Photoshop.

Was it worth the $$$? Ask me when I’m flipping this thing again next summer.

bord
    @bord

Look forward to following along.

Not a fan of symmetrical layouts? I really enjoy both the ones I have, pinball pool and count-down, but then you can never have too many drop targets either. One nice thing with symmetrical is that you get good at shots from both sides, right now I am getting really good at alley passes from the left side (alien star), but can’t hit one from the right to save my life.

I have to admit to a bias against symmetrical layouts, at least when I bought this game. Since then I think I’ve softened on this quite a bit, not insignificantly because of how much I like Moulin Rouge. But really there are a ton of really great symmetrical layouts – look at Capt. Card/High Hand. Your examples of PP and Count-Down are spot on, too. Just fantastic. I wouldn’t want a small collection of games with only symmetrical layouts, but I no longer have the same bias against them that I did.

I’ll have to check out that Twitch stream. I’m getting close to playfield paint time and can use all the pointers I can get.

BorgDog
    Participant
    @borgdog
    MemberContributorvip

Is that actually/supposedly Toulouse-Lautrec on the backglass?  IPDB doesn’t say anything about it, but that would be fitting.

and yes, worth the dollars

bord
    @bord

Is that actually/supposedly Toulouse-Lautrec on the backglass? IPDB doesn’t say anything about it, but that would be fitting.

and yes, worth the dollars

s-l1600

I’m sure it is, at least insofar as Toulouse-Lautrec looked like the lovechild of Jose Ferrer and a beatnik.

Scottacus
    Participant
    @scottacus
    MembervipContributor

What a fun looking project!  I know you’ve mentioned that your whole family plays it which makes it worth the while to buff it up a bit.  Was the original color of the cab purple like under the legs?  If so you’ve got a good sample of the original color to work from.  The other nice thing about the cab is that the art work is just simple geometrical shapes so it should be easy to mask.

Re-painting the playfield should not be too much of a problem.  My guess is that the hardest part will be trying to color match the white.  A good clear coat should protect it for many years.  Speaking of which I just ordered some SprayMax 2K gloss for Pirate Gold.  @BorgDog has anyone had any experience with this product?  It looks like a nice option from what I’ve read on Pinside.

Getting a new backglass will be something that you’ll appreciate once the rehab is done.  There would be no way to fix or reprint that glass with the funky one way mirror.  I’ve rehabbed a few and that flesh tone ink seems to always be one of the first to fail on a backglass.  It makes the people look weird and creepy.

I look forward to watching this project come together for you!

bord
    @bord

What a fun looking project! I know you’ve mentioned that your whole family plays it which makes it worth the while to buff it up a bit. Was the original color of the cab purple like under the legs? If so you’ve got a good sample of the original color to work from. The other nice thing about the cab is that the art work is just simple geometrical shapes so it should be easy to mask.

Yes, it looks like it is relatively without fade under the legs. Another MR owner had vectored the cabinet art and shared his files with me so I’m already set to cut stencils when the time comes.

I’m planning on doing Spraymax 2k for clear as well. Apparently the stuff is toxic beyond belief (as in no skin contact whatsoever) so I hope you’ve got some good health safety gear.

Thanks for the encouragement!

BorgDog
    Participant
    @borgdog
    MemberContributorvip

I haven’t tried the spraymax, but the guy I got my sinbad from used it and his other sinbad looks great, the one I traded for not so much :) but that was a paint issue.

I’ll second the safety gear stuff, no skin, no breathing, part of the reason I haven’t gone that route.  I’m planning a spray booth room for the forever shop and will try out the auto-clear stuff then.. assuming I’m still doing this stuff… may get to that sinbad project by then even.

randr
    Keymaster
    @randr
    ModeratorMember

@bord yet ANOTHER great project! looking forward to seeing this one :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
    for IOS and Android

Tom
    Participant
    @armyaviation
    MemberContributor

Man Bord you work fast, wanna come and get my hardbody and stellar wars working?

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

When I read this post this morning, it motivated me to spend my day off revisiting a start-up issue with my EM.  Got the Fluke out and …went through what I’ve gone through before, but this time spotted a leaf contact missing on the score motor.  This hobby is insane.  I know Steve has certain leafs listed but I think I want to find a bag of contacts and learn that procedure.  yay

Funny, my Spin a Card has the same artist as Moulin Rouge – Art Stenholm.  I would NOT have guessed that.  The art seems more Magic Circle.  Maybe a touch of Cross Town.  Speaking of symmetry – my Krynski EM came to me a couple springs ago.  It was going to be a donor cab for my VPcab.  But it still worked.  So while cleaning it up I learned about older EM’s and small flippers.   – my pinball DNA is 80’s stuff – 8BDlx, Centaur, P-Bot, yet over a few months the game play of this ’69 table grew on me and I came to love the things you could discover.  Things not obvious.  Lanes and bounces.  And learning how to play with small bats!  Krynski’s symmetry became a new part of my Pball DNA .  Then I built my vp cab.  And found tables like Magic Circle, Capersville.  Bizarre layouts from the 60’s!  Now I find these the most intriguing.

Thanks for sharing this project here bord!  And also thanks to B-dog,  Scottacus and any others for posting their projects here as well.  Pinside is a great site, but I like following projects here, that are being done by those that live in both worlds.

bord
    @bord

@jfr1, cool that Stenholm did Spin a Card. I had no idea. He definitely did a huge range of stuff. One of his best, I think, is Scuba:

2a17a9_3ce7fd28b1ff4d499b0f6a79d760765f~mv2_d_2176_1824_s_2

Drybonz
    Participant
    @drybonz

I like the theme on this table… also, the light-up mirror art is a nice attraction for this table.

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

THAT back glass is mesmerizing and perhaps my favorite.  SCUBA is also a Krynski symetric, I was going to mention that table for one that has a very fun bounce/shoot to it.

bord
    @bord

IMG_20200207_120746554

After spending some very depressing time in the back corner of the basement laundry room, Moulin Rouge has been upgraded to the rotisserie and even saw some daylight today as it was given a heavy cleaning with Naphtha to remove any old wax.

IMG_20200307_163751015_HDR

Next up will be an attempt to flatten out some raised areas where the wood was pulled upward by the post screws. This part scares me a bit.

BorgDog
    Participant
    @borgdog
    MemberContributorvip

to flatten those raised post areas I use 2 ball peen hammers, one with the peen /round side on the raised part then smack/tap it with the other.  I do my best to put a support directly under it but not always possible, usually just a chunk of wood cut to the length to fit.  unfortunately you do usually lose some paint at the same time, but mostly under the post.

nice to see it out in the sunshine… that rotisserie looks strangely familiar…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mr_H
    Participant
    @jhopwood

Those silver flippers, love them.

bord
    @bord

nice to see it out in the sunshine… that rotisserie looks strangely familiar…

Built by none other than @wrd1972 himself. I’ll do a separate post on the virtues of this thing one of these days. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW