Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Ha!  Those pics are from two years ago.  That Spin a Card was going to be a donor cab for my vp project.  But it still worked.  I had to rebuild the head as it literally was cracked in half.  But I stopped there.  The cab still needs redoing.  I got caught up with my vp build shortly after these pics were taken.

20180612_212738

So you got the HF $30 gun?  One guy’s comment says he uses a pancake compressor.  That possible?  I have a couple different compressors but using the small one would be much handier.  I’m guessing the urethane was water based?  How’d that come out.  I’ve never mastered smooth clear coats.  Bummed – just got done repainting a batch of kitchen cabinets and wish I’d ‘pulled the trigger’ on one of these spray guns.

bord
    @bord
    MembervipContributorModerator

Ha! Those pics are from two years ago. That Spin a Card was going to be a donor cab for my vp project. But it still worked. I had to rebuild the head as it literally was cracked in half. But I stopped there. The cab still needs redoing. I got caught up with my vp build shortly after these pics were taken.

20180612_212738

So you got the HF $30 gun? One guy’s comment says he uses a pancake compressor. That possible? I have a couple different compressors but using the small one would be much handier. I’m guessing the urethane was water based? How’d that come out. I’ve never mastered smooth clear coats. Bummed – just got done repainting a batch of kitchen cabinets and wish I’d ‘pulled the trigger’ on one of these spray guns.

@jfr1
    , $30 HF sprayer and pancake compressor works great. I did a whole weekend of paint/poly on kids furniture for practice and the only problem I had was occasional moisture drips. I’ll get an inline filter for that. Just lent the whole setup to a friend and he redid his entire kitchen with it, paint and poly and it came out amazing. One of the best DIY cabinet paintings I’ve ever seen. The regulator is detachable so if the gun dies (it will, one month and it already has some internal rust despite blowing it dry), you can keep the regulator and just replace the $15 gun. You’d spend twice that on brushes.

So when you get the urge to redo your cab I hope you take the extra teardown time and scan that Spin a Card pf. That is my favorite era of Gottlieb and a terrific game. I’m sure you’ve noticed the Spin a Card homage in WPT.

bord
    @bord

Got the cabinet and head sanded and primed over the weekend.

PXL_20201004_200204372

You can see the level of restore here. Preserve original details, don’t sand it to the point of not looking like wood, but get a good seal on it with Kilz oil primer.

PXL_20201004_200153099

Base color and webbing are up next.

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Will be very interested to see how you tackle webbing.  Thanks for sharing this.

Just in case anyone reading is still like me and using rattle cans, if you don’t have a couple can triggers,  get some.  They are life changing.

20201005_183847

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by JR.
    JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

…that’s a riser I bapped together today for an Arcade 1up Asteroids.  These are interesting home arcade machines.  Their latest – 40th anniversary Pacman is really cool.  Got the one from Bestbuy with the light up control panel and it’s an eye-catcher.  And has Galaga.  Highly recommended.

Acquiring Spin a Card set a lot of things in motion.  Learning about em’s and then building a vp cab.  When you first asked me about scanning SaC’s pf I didn’t see that happening anytime soon.  But that was a couple years ago.  Now it needs some inner maintenance so…hm.

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

“lent the whole setup to a friend and he redid his entire kitchen with it”

Dang,  does your friend have a WIP thread on the This Old House forum ;)  Entire kitchen?  You can shoot this thing inside?

Took me a bit to find the SaC insert on WPT.  Nice!  Love the starker lighting in your mod.  Hope @sg1bson is still working on bringing that same effect to TZ.      SG….Gibson?  That’s pretty creative btw.

SG1bsoN
    Participant
    @sg1bson

“lent the whole setup to a friend and he redid his entire kitchen with it”

Dang, does your friend have a WIP thread on the This Old House forum ;) Entire kitchen? You can shoot this thing inside?

Took me a bit to find the SaC insert on WPT. Nice! Love the starker lighting in your mod. Hope @sg1bson is still working on bringing that same effect to TZ. SG….Gibson? That’s pretty creative btw.

Haha thanks 👍🏻  I once shortened my name to Stu.. took me weeks to come up with that one 😂🤣 I didn’t do much more to TZ as I’m pretty happy with how it looks now, I’ve done a similar thing with Kingpin too. I’ll try and upload both of them later today

bord
    @bord

Webbing complete. Had a lot of webbing left on the cab before sanding to make sure color and density were a good match.

PXL_20201007_012901469

PXL_20201007_012846660

PXL_20201007_012937496

bord
    @bord

PXL_20201016_181228485.MP

Got my purple sprayed. Sanded down the slight edges at the stencil lines for a smooth feel.

Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

Keep us updated, please :)

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Hold on, did I miss the part where you show how you did your webbing?

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

This is my expert technique – – webbing

bord
    @bord

IMG_20200911_162313

The best match I could find was this Montana marble spray. In my case black was the right match, although some cabs with webbing were done in silver-ish. Worked great everywhere except areas with a lot of edges where it would literally web across the gap instead of making contact with the cabinet.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW