MP4 files stutter on backglass/ M4V files are smooth

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Randyre
    Participant
      @randyre

Anyone have any suggestions for settings?  I’ve tried them all. The problem only happens while in VPX, playing by themselves it works fine. Playing Attack from Mars plays fine, but Back to the Future videos stutter like crazy.

Going to install TRON and see how it plays.

Most forums say the MP4 playback issue is the 32bit version uses too much CPU.

Any ideas? Am I the only one having this issue?

Running on a i5-7400 and GTX1070 with a SSD.  Shouldn’t need more than that.

Thanks

Randy

1 user thanked author for this post.
      NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

we  don’t hear many issues with playback performance of Pup-Packs.

but, ones that have, the solution is usually to re-size all videos to the native resolution of their BG.  so you if have a 720p BG then using a utility like ‘handbrake’ you can batch convert all the pup-pack to a lower res and that should improve things.

Somone discussing about this on batman.  http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/batman-data-east-1989-pup-pack-backglass-topper/page/2/

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

You rig is nicer than mine (i5 2500k, gtx970, running in 4K), and I have no issues with any videos or pup-packs.

What version # of VLC are you using?

Let me know how the new Tron PuP-Packs (not the older PuP-Edition tables) plays for you.

Do you have a directb2s for these tables as well? Remove them and see if it helps.

There’s more than just file format to consider. MP4s can have multiple codecs that can be used for audio and video.

I use MP4 with h264 for video, and AAC for audio I believe.

Randyre
          Participant
            @randyre

I’m using VLC 2.8.8.

My backglass and 3rd Monitor/DMD are both 720. I might try and let the NVidia scale the backglass to 1080 and see what happens.

I’ll also look at converting the files to 720.

I’ll try the new TRON and see how it behaves.

Thanks

Randy

justn
            Participant
              @justn

Im having the same issue. Randy could you please update us on your results when you finish?

Randyre
              Participant
                @randyre

Im having the same issue. Randy could you please update us on your results when you finish?

Absolutely. I can’t stand when a thread dies out without a solution.

Randyre
                Participant
                  @randyre

@TerryRed

Tron has the same issues. Seems to be MP4 playback while VPX is running. I can play the videos fine by themselves. Also Don’t have the issue with AFM as it has M4v files.

Any other suggestions?  I’m searching for a better or different codec, but seems the only solution that is universal is don’t use VLC, but that doesn’t appear to be possible.

Randyre
                  Participant
                    @randyre

Took the one file that seems to play a lot, the DeLorean backing out of the truck. Converted it to multiple formats and multiple sizes. they all run very choppy, although the smaller ones “720” seems to play only marginally better.

What is it about AFM that plays so well, and Tron and BTTF not so well?  Going to try Avatar next and see what it plays like.

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Did you change any settings with VLC at some point? I’ve always had it at default with NO hardware acceleration! Your rig is definitely powerful enough.

Do you have fully updated nvidia drivers….dpi scaling at 100….nothing wierd with audio…no MSI Afterburner or similar program running?

Try Stranger Things Stranger Edition?

Randyre
                      Participant
                        @randyre

Started with VLC at defaults, then started playing with it. Also installed an older version 2,2,6 and the problem was still there. Tried stranger things and the problem exist with it as well.

Ok, against what is posted on the pinup thread, I installed the newest VLC 32bit, and guess what,. the Videos are smooth as butter. But now the table plays like crap, lots of stuttering and the ball “warping” all over the place.

So any other suggestions?

TerryRed
                          @terryred

Yes….only install 2.8.8 32 bit at default settings.

Also if you have Geforce Experience installed….uninstall it and see if that helps. It caused me some issues.

Monitor your CPU usage and see if its excessive….it shouldn’t be though.

Are you running the newest PinUP System,…or older Pinup Player 1.2?

Something is interfering with VLC possibly.

Do you have nvidia control panel 3d settings for vpx at default.

Don’t run ANY files for PinUP player or VLC as Admin. If you have PinUP System installed….then only run Pinupmenu.exe as Admin.

Randyre
                          Participant
                            @randyre

OK, I’ll go back to 2.2.8 as 3.xx causes bad table stutter, even though the videos play great.

I do have GeForce experience installed. i’ll remove it and see.

I’m running the latest PinupSystem, but not using the menu. I’m loading the tables direct for now.

TerryRed
                              @terryred

If you are on Win 10…try changing this setting for VPX if you are using exclusive fullscreen with VPX.

Attachments:
                              Randyre
                              Participant
                                @randyre

Thanks terry, yes Win10. Tried those settings and its a bit better for a while then videos lag and stutter again.

Also uninstalled GeForce exp.  Re-installed VLC 2.2.8 32bit and left defaults.

Whats next?   :wacko:

VideoCard is 3Gb and I have 8GB ram. That should be fine I assume. Also, yes I left Nvidia setting at defaults for VPX

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

Compare those files that play smooth to others…see what codec differences there are…it may be an audio issue.

After that….I’m at a loss….cant help but think there is another program causing issues.

See how much % your cpu is being used. Your GPU usage when only playing VLC videos, should be almost nothing. If the GPU is being used a lot then that may be the problem.

VPX, PinMAME, etc updated to the latest?

Randyre
                                  Participant
                                    @randyre

Compare those files that play smooth to others…see what codec differences there are…it may be an audio issue.

After that….I’m at a loss….cant help but think there is another program causing issues.

See how much % your cpu is being used. Your GPU usage when only playing VLC videos, should be almost nothing. If the GPU is being used a lot then that may be the problem.

VPX, PinMAME, etc updated to the latest?

Everything is the latest I’ll see if I can log some cpu and gpu usage.

the only difference in files that work and ones that don’t is that the AFM files are M4V files not MP4

Randyre
                                    Participant
                                      @randyre

guess I’m going to take he extreme route and do a complete reinstall of windows from the ground up.

HauntFreaks
                                        @hauntfreaks
                                        vipContributorMember

I have notice a “bit” of this, with popper running in the background I can see a little performance lag when running VPX on more demanding tables
                                        these same tables are smooth when just launching from the editor… I might not have noticed, but my wife said something to me, that she noticed it… then of course I also noticed it….

Randyre
                                        Participant
                                          @randyre

:good: FIXED :yahoo:  

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its fixed. Oh you say, that’s bad news? How so?

Well I had to do a complete fresh install of Windows, with a careful application of the related pinball files and programs, but alas….it does work with no issues. MP4’s play smooth and fluid, and tables have no glitches.

So not sure what was messed up, but whatever it was is now fixed.  Off to start a backup so at least I have a baseline restore for the future…just in case.

Thanks for everyone’s input and help.

Justin Riley
                                          Participant
                                            @baselope

Aw shucks….  I was hoping i would not need to do that, but I have tried all of the above and still have stutter on POTC, Avatar, etc.  Stranger things plays FINE.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?