Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    M4rsl
    Participant
    @m4rsl

Hello fellow pinball fans

This is my first Vpinball project. I bought a half baked cabinet from some as it seemded like a good start… but once I got it in my shop… I realized I wanted and needed to put in some true DIY effort to build something nice..    

The previous owner left me with some really good components, a solid PC (though completely ‘cut up’ in pieces) with a solid GPU, VirtuaPin boar and plungerkit, LedWiz board, a solid cabinet with all required features,… monitors, DMD etc… so… good start… but

The cabinet was too messy for me, so I pulled everything out, and started over

This is what the cabinet looked like when I got it… 

IMG_0136

This was what it looked like some hours later… me happier…

IMG_0165

The ledwiz was under-utilzed… just 7x contactors and 2x basic (bright) white flashers… got rid of the last and started to build  myself a resistor board for RGB flashers (sits right above the ledwiz in the above picture) to replace the basec flashers, and got the 8th contactor to complete a basic set… 

I also got some new and nicer looking start, exit etc buttons and RGB 3528 led strip for undercab and speaker lighting… 

But first… I needed to make a new faceplate for the backbox. The previous owner had a standard speaker panel and backglass monitor… the topper monitor was included but not mounted…. so I built this new backglass/backbox faceplate… 

IMG_0185

Now my DMD, topper (under actually) and backglass monitor all fit in)

Neatly milled out so it all sits snug and well in place… I also made the speakerholes smaller than the actual speakers and milled out an extra bit from the back so I could fit RGB strips behind the grill / out of sight… which at the time did not know if it was going to work out. (it did)

IMG_0197

Also got myself a LED beacon so needed a ‘beacon hole!’
    (NB don’t mind the plaster)

IMG_0198

After that I started working on the RGB flashers

IMG_0190

Milled out RGB LED the flasher base for the RGB flasher to be mounted on 

mounted and wired RGB flasher LEDs
     IMG_0195

And checked if the caps fit neatly…

IMG_0196
    The caps were ultimately mounted onto the rear of the RGB flasher panel which in turn is mounted as the rear part of the TV panel frame (see below)

IMG_0219

starting to look better now…. :-)  

I also replaced the buttons and filled up the ‘sunken holes’ for them… didn’t like the sunken buttons.. 

Now it was time to finish the backbox… mount the monitor, LCD panel and DMD, the speakers and LED strips, cable everything up neatly and close it… after painting the backbox first…. don’t mind the ‘interesting colour’ it was handpicked to blend in with Stuzza’s (on VPforums) amazing 50’s diner artwork

IMG_0200IMG_0213IMG_0216

Back to the cabinet…. 

Painted that too of course, but more to serve as a foundation to the vinyl decals a friend of mine was going to print, and added rubber based supports for the PC

IMG_0229IMG_0231

After the final assembly I played around with the software for 2 weeks… finetuning tables, removing some… adding some… browsing through the wonderful contributions in the VP communities, setting up the front-end.. but finally the day came to complete my project. 

My long time friend came over to apply the vinyl decals… so had to take a lot a part, which served me well as I now had an opportunity to replace my intermittedly failing virtuapin plunger board with a zebsboards plunger kit. I have to add, not everyone has issues with the virtuapin board… I just happen to be one of the unlucky ones I guess…. however the zebsboard kit works like a charm I have to say!

IMG_02628427F926-9518-4A86-9D11-CAAE29B883E1

Got my playfield glass today and…  behold… the final product (apart from the never finished quest for more SW updates) is there… 

I could not be happier with the result  :-)

IMG_0274IMG_0276

My kit…. 

Core i5 6C, 24GB, MSI Geforce 970, 480GB SSD

43in 4K playfield (Samsung TV)

28in 2K backglass (Benq monitor)

1280×390 topper (under) display (no idea… seems to come from China) 

pin2DMD

Zebsboard Plunger

LedWiz

8x contactors

5x RGB flashers

1x beacon

undercab RGB strips

speaker RGB strips

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by M4rsl.
    -RpT
    Participant
    @rpt

Cab looks really nice, grats!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    drumdude777
    Participant
    @drumdude777

Very nice. what kid of performance are you getting on the 4k tables? are you generally on medium, or high settings, or? what kind of FPS are you gettig on tables in 4k? thanks!

M4rsl
    Participant
    @m4rsl

Very nice. what kid of performance are you getting on the 4k tables? are you generally on medium, or high settings, or? what kind of FPS are you gettig on tables in 4k? thanks!

Hi,

thank you!

I generally get very smooth performance… can check fps for you, any particular table you’d be interested in comparing?

regards

Gwen
    Participant
    @gwen

Great work there! Very nice indeed. =)

Gwen
    - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

zimbakin
    Participant
    @zimbakin

Great build man, looks awesome. I like the raw timber look with graphics. Pretty cool.

M4rsl
    Participant
    @m4rsl

Hi,

thank you!

I generally get very smooth performance… can check fps for you, any particular table you’d be interested in comparing?

regards

Hi,

it’s running at 50-75 fps with quality FXAA on, most at 60fps+ , I can run 4x SSAA on most tables but a few (e.g TAF) drop to 40fps

Latest version of TOM:

IMG_0282

rgds

topper-2k
    Participant
    @topper-2k

Very nice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW