My Mini Cabinet Build

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jim Martin
    Participant
      @jimm5six

Hello,

I have had a full size cabinet for quite a while now but due to many factors I never really played it anymore. I decided that what I really wanted to do was to build a small version so it could live in and around my real pinball machines without trying to pass as a real table. I also was very interested in using one of those new 21:9 aspect ratio monitors but they had been way to expensive for a long time…

This is what I have had. My plan is to use as many parts from this as I can. Sorry for the cluttered picture, it’s the only one I could find right now.

20161119_233304

I found the monitor I wanted to use and pulled the trigger. How will it look?!? Here’s some initial tests:

2017-09-20-16.31.00
      2017-09-20-16.34.55

Now to pillage the old Cab for components… Just need a box to hold all this stuff:

2017-09-24-11.45.31

Jim Martin
      Participant
        @jimm5six

Continued…

I added a new video card as the one I had was pretty old, now its got a 1060:

2017-09-24-17.02.14

Ok, seems to work good! I took some important measurements and opened Fusion 360 and started to come up with a design. At first I was trying to make the side just 1 piece, but didnt like how wide it would have been for the backglass monitor so i separated that out. I needed 12 inches wide for the motherboard so that was as wide as I wanted it. I came up with what almost looks like a scaled down version of a full size cabinet.

mini_cabinet
        mini_cabinet_cutaway

Feels good, time to build!

-Jim

Jim Martin
        Participant
          @jimm5six

I used 1/2 plywood and cut out all the pieces. Clamped it together and hoped the monitors still fit :)

test-fit-1
          test-fit-2

They did! So some glue, nails, wood filler and sanding later and I had a box ready for paint

Ready-for-paint

I painted it basic black because i plan to do some graphics for the side art. I just wanted the wood sealed and a surface that it will stick to.

Painted

-Jim

Jim Martin
          Participant
            @jimm5six

added all the components to the bottom board.

test-fit-components

Make sure everything still works.

Everythng-still-works

I added side rails.

side-rails

This is where it stand right now. I need to cut holes for flipper buttons, but i wanted to feel where they should go so I didn’t pre-cut them. I also need to figure out the plunger, make the “lock bar”, coin button and start button. I also need to reconfigure all my games to run on two monitors instead of three.

Thanks for looking, if anyone wants my Fusion 360 file I would be happy to share it.

-Jim

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

Cool.  Looks nice Jim, I like the 2 monitor setup.  I always wanted to try one of those 21:9 monitors for a cab, but I already have 2 VP cabs…  :scratch:

Sliderpoint
              Participant
                @sliderpoint
                MemberContributor

Really like that monitor aspect ratio, looks good!    I actually saw a Red Bull impulse isle drink cooler at walmart,  the front door was a large screen that ‘looked’ to be a similar aspect ratio, might have to dig into the internet to see how big these go.

-Mike

Jim Martin
                Participant
                  @jimm5six

Really like that monitor aspect ratio, looks good! I actually saw a Red Bull impulse isle drink cooler at walmart, the front door was a large screen that ‘looked’ to be a similar aspect ratio, might have to dig into the internet to see how big these go. -Mike

Interesting, yeah let me know if you find out any interesting detail on that. I would worry about resolution and refresh rate…

Jim Martin
                  Participant
                    @jimm5six

Cool. Looks nice Jim, I like the 2 monitor setup. I always wanted to try one of those 21:9 monitors for a cab, but I already have 2 VP cabs… :scratch:

Thanks Dan!

What did you do for lock bar on your minicab?

-Jim

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

LOL, hmmm built the cab 3 years ago, still no lock bar  :wacko:   just rounded the corners on the front of the wood and sanded smooth, still have plans to custom fab my own metal one, no idea if I’ll ever get to it.

rothbauerw
                        @rothbauerw
                        ModeratorContributorMembervip

I had one custom fabricated by a local machine shop for about $90.  Would have been $50 but I wasn’t clear enough with my request/drawings.  Oh, that included custom side rails too.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Jim Martin
                        Participant
                          @jimm5six

I had one custom fabricated by a local machine shop for about $90. Would have been $50 but I wasn’t clear enough with my request/drawings. Oh, that included custom side rails too.

Thanks, good to know.

-Jim

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

Does look good! surprisingly good with that ratio monitor!

Nice job!

WHAT is that custom playfield in your first picture?

********************************************************
                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                            for IOS and Android

Jim Martin
                            Participant
                              @jimm5six

Thanks, I really like the aspect ratio, its very close to a standard body WMS game 1:1

That my custom pinball project @Sliderpoint and I are working on called : ESCAPE!

Here the pinside thread if you’re interested:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escape-a-new-pinball-project

roar
                              Participant
                                @roar

Am I the only one who wants to know more about the ‘white wood’ playfield you’ve got started there? What are you up to there.

TerryRed
                                  @terryred
                                  MemberContributorModerator

Does look good! surprisingly good with that ratio monitor! Nice job! WHAT is that custom playfield in your first picture?

I do believe that it X-Files.

edit: DUH…THAT playfield… lol.  Nevermind.

I also love seeing someone use a 21:9 ratio for the playfield. Works perfect, as does using the one screen for the backglass.

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Thanks, I really like the aspect ratio, its very close to a standard body WMS game 1:1 That my custom pinball project @sliderpoint and I are working on called : ESCAPE! Here the pinside thread if you’re interested: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escape-a-new-pinball-project

Very nice! Will be watching that progress for sure.

for IOS and Android

Jim Martin
                                    Participant
                                      @jimm5six

Just a quick update to say I created and printed a Lockbar. I am very happy with how it came out. Still needs some final sanding and finishing but the fit is good. We will see how long it lasts. Its two layers thick so its very flexible; I wasn’t sure it would even print so Overall I am thrilled! I still need to decide what I want to do for launch, but for now the right flipper doubles as launch and overall I am happy with how the cab is working.

2017-11-25-15.05.38
                                      2017-11-25-15.05.50

Jim

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

HA! like the iron next to cab for scale. Lock bar is neat that you printed it all very nice :good:

for IOS and Android

jbg4208
                                        Participant
                                          @jbg4208

That’s a clean looking build. I’m curious as to you Landscape setting for VP. What is your basic starting point? Those images of diner and Cyclone look almost real.

Jim Martin
                                          Participant
                                            @jimm5six

thanks, I start with the very basic setting of: 2, 45,45,270,1,1,1,0,0,0. I just bang those in and then I use F6 to make it look as I like, every table is different and sometime they change allot but i like knowing where I start.

-Jim

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?