My Nikola Tesla themed cabinet build

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant
      @jfr1

…need more than that.

Gwen
      Participant
        @gwen

I did make a number of sketches of my initial ideas.  I’ll have to look around to see if I still have them.  As far as the work in progress – yes, this forum thread is my record of the construction once I actually got it started.  I knew I wanted to try and find some original antique furniture parts  to use in my construction, especially for the top of the backbox.  And one day I got lucky while shopping at the “Re-Store” in town… sort of a recycled home improvement center.  I picked up the cabinet top scrolls for $8, and a bunch of brass knobs for 50 cents each.  The inlaid brass scrollwork I did on the lockdown bar was inspired by the Pinball FX3 Tesla table, and the gold pinstriping and painted scrollwork came to me while I was building my time machine model.

Mainly I wanted to build a nice virtual pinball cabinet that was also an homage to Nikola Tesla and his works.  The idea was sort of “What if Tesla had invented modern pinball, and some much more advanced technologies than he really had, and he decided to build a machine to show the world the future in a different way, but with the general aesthetics of his time?”  I wanted it to look like what he might have built.  So I actually looked at photos of many of his inventions built into small cabinets etc. for inspiration.

Gwen
        - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

JR
        Participant
          @jfr1

This is amazing stuff. I need to go back to page 1 and read from beginning!

Anthrax1980
          Participant
            @anthrax1980

Awesome build! RESPEKT!

dlgg7
            Participant
              @dlgg7

Wow! Love the idea! Have a few laying around from the grandkids, now to incorporate them into my build, hmmmmm, :good: :good: :good: :good:

OLD Grandpa!

Gwen
              Participant
                @gwen

Here’s what I’ve been up to the last several weeks of staying at home.   I dug out a resin garage-kit of the police spinner from my favorite film – Blade Runner.  I have had the kit on the shelf for literally 12 years waiting for the right time to work on it.  The kit was not at all designed for lighting so I have had to make some heavy modifications to it.  Lots of cutting and filing etc.  It took me about a solid week of work to build the electronics for the lighting.  The model currently has 57 led’s in it including selectable flash patterns for the police lights.  The spinner is 1/12 scale so it’s about 17 inches long.  I also just finished totally scratch building a street light from the movie (which I think turned out pretty great) complete with lit up display monitors to use in the diorama I am working on.  I also plan to build a scale model of the White Dragon Noodle Bar.  The spinner model is about 90% complete right now.  I’ve been having a lot of fun with the project…

Gwen

Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

And you dare to only show us pictures @Gwen ? Video – I demand video ;)

( very cool ) :good:

Gwen
                  Participant
                    @gwen

Hehe, video will be forthcoming soon.

Gwen

Gwen
                    Participant
                      @gwen

Ok, as requested, here is a short video of my spinner model: https://youtu.be/2ILIAtDkWTU

Gwen

3 users thanked author for this post.
                      Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

I was kind of right – a video was needed in order to fully appreciate the work. Very nice :good:

The Loafer
                        Participant
                          @theloafer

Ok that’s all kinds of awesome.  Your attention to detail is off the charts, merits a “subscribed”  :).  Bonus kudos points on those Fokker DVIII videos, wow. Must be something to pilot one of those!

robertms
                          Participant
                            @mophead

Fantastic job Gwen, you’re certainly multi-talented.

Love Blade Runner too, great film: “Tortoise? What’s That?”

Gwen
                            Participant
                              @gwen

Thanks guys =)

Gwen

JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

“Tortoise? What’s That?”       ‘Ever seen a turtle?’

This is really cool Gwen.  Taking orders?  I’ve probably watched Blade Runner in it’s various versions more than any other movie.  Became fascinated the  first time I saw it  – – and didn’t like it – – because Han’s hair was too short!!  But over time, Scott’s genius steam-punk vision and Vangelis’ perfectly matched soundtrack, won me over.  And I think Scott finally got it right with The Final Cut, and I even liked 2049.  Did you know a model of the Millenium Falcon makes a cameo in the original movie?  Final Cut is back up on Netflix right now btw.

I was dating a gal that had a movie review show on cable TV when The Director’s Cut came out in ’92 and she got me this press pack with some b&w’s!!

20200404_185214

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                robertms
                                Participant
                                  @mophead

Funny, I can relate to everything you just said @jfr1, love the Vangelis soundtrack too.

The Loafer
                                  Participant
                                    @theloafer

Unpopular opinion:  I actually like the theatrical cut more than the multi-others.  I think the film was definitely framed very much in the film-noir style so it lent itself to the private eye voice over.  I do prefer the ambiguous ending of the Director’s cut but still, love the original.

JR
                                    Participant
                                      @jfr1

Interesting @theloafer – when I discuss this movie with someone who hasn’t seen it which is rare, I recommend watching the theatrical version first. Specifically for the voice over. I know the studio had it added post-shoot but I liked it. The Final Cut seems more for those who had seen the original countless times.  After decades of hearing the voice over it was neat to see how Scott wanted it to be. And I think the ending is more effective.

Gwen
                                      Participant
                                        @gwen

My favorite version is the final cut honestly.  I don’t have a big problem with the theatrical voice-over (though it wasn’t really necessary) but I don’t much like the happy ending, and the unicorn scene is important because it speaks to who and what Deckard really is.  Also they did a great job of fixing the awful stunt-double for Zhora, as well as synching Deckard with his voice in the scene in Hassan’s shop on animoid row,  in the final cut.  I can watch any version anytime I like though since I have a 5 disc set on blu-ray with the theatrical cut, director’s cut, final cut, the original work print, the “Dangerous Days” making-of , and an additional archive of interviews with tons of people involved.

I will never forget watching the theatrical version in the base theater at Wright Patterson AFB during the first theatrical run back in 1982 though.  =)

Gwen

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

+1 to the 5 disk B-ray set.    …now about that table lamp –

‘Move in, track left…stop.  Center and pull back.  Stop.  Pan left.  Stop.  Enhance 1,2 to 16, 17.’

20279_gridImage

Half Life inspired?

Oh…Deckard isn’t a replicant.

The Loafer
                                          Participant
                                            @theloafer

I got that suitcase edition on bluray too!

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 238 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?