My Tables are all sideways!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bwag
    Participant
      @bwag

As a newbie, I realize this is probably something that happens often.  I’m building a cabinet, and am trying to configure the computer and monitors.  I’ve downloaded several tables, along with B2s and when they play, the tables are sideways.  My main monitor is in portrait mode, and under video settings in Visual Pinball X I have FS checked.  I know it must be something simple.  I’ve spent way too many hours trying to figure it out.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Attachments:
      gtxjoe
      Participant
        @gtxjoe

You need to set Windows to Landscape mode

1 user thanked author for this post.
        BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

You need to set Windows to Landscape mode

You don’t “need” to.  You can change the table POV settings to work in portrait just fine.  Some table downloads will come set to portrait as well.

The Loafer
          Participant
            @theloafer

Let’s try a different answer.  The majority of tables released are set up for a windows in landscape configuration.  As borgdog indicated both can be acceptable and have their own pros and cons (including ease of use in some of the front ends)

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

Quick dirty version of how to change:

Open the table, switch to backdrop view, change XY rotation to 0, swap X scale and Y scale value, and then you probably need to adjust offsets as well, camera mode is best for that.  It takes just a short time per table and once you have done a few it’s mere seconds.  I adjust all tables regardless of what orientation they come in so it’s really not much more.  you can also save some standard POV files to get you close.  Here is a tutorial on camera mode: https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/

rotate

Attachments:
              xenonph
              Participant
                @xenonph
                MemberContributor

As explained above, you can also import/export POV files.

When you have adjusted POV to your liking, you can then export this POV, and use it on other tables as a base POV.

Just click File tab, then click either export or import, then click Backdrop POV. (As seen in pic.)

01a

Attachments:
                NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

you will have a much easier ride if you setup your main display as landscape. (start menu on left side looking at cab)…

you CAN run in portrait, but I wouldn’t suggest….

Sliderpoint
                  Participant
                    @sliderpoint
                    MemberContributor

Well I DO suggest it, so whatever…

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

The landscape thing is basically inertia… at one point, you HAD to do that to get VP to work in a cabinet, it was a limitation of video cards at the time that most of them wouldn’t drive a monitor in portrait at all. So at this point, it’s just a thing that VP authors do, and it’ll take an overriding reason (other than we can set monitors to portrait so easily, it can be scripted to do it when needed, so why change anyway?) to actually question whether it’s time to change it.

The reasons most people suggest not using portrait mode is trying not to field questions about how to change it, and they feel it’s less work to just use things like scripted orientation flipping when you need to run software that requires running the monitor in true portrait. Plus, it can be a pain in the frass to edit the POV of each new table, every time, and a number of people’s pincabs are already set up for the way things are.

On the other flipper, on-the-fly orientation switching requires add-on software (which I DO run on my desktop, but don’t want to run on the upcoming pincab since it’s another thing that can break), which I used to be able to do with an AMD card without added software before a software update showed they decided it wasn’t something people needed to be able to do outside of the displays panel (and it’s always possible the big two may break iRotate in the future too!), plus again, we’re into fielding questions about such from the sorts that want it to work without “odd” physical workarounds like “set the monitor to landscape mode” that don’t seem to have any real reason other than forcing one to administrate their pincab at an angle (which I personally have trouble with when it comes to mousing), or having it be on the left end of their lineup so they can be at the side of the pincab entirely (which is doable for me, but may not be ideal in our line of three machines where the right side of the lineup is hard against a wall).

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

bwag
                      Participant
                        @bwag

Thank you so much for this!  I appreciate it VERY much.   :good:    I’ve been able to adjust several tables.

Jackn
                        Participant
                          @jackn

Hello,

i have the same problem here.

I want to use my playfield monitor in portrait mode AND use the FS mode (as i own a cabinet).

Sure, i can adjust it in the settings, but can it be the truth that i have to do it for each table seperatly ?

No default ?

Thanks

Joachim

outhere
                            @outhere
                            MemberContributorvipModerator

If you have windows set to portrait mode you will have to adjust every game

If you have window set to landscape then see here for more info
                            https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=4982#entry330264

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

Yeah, unfortunately, until Visual Pinball lets you set rotation independent of POV (basically becomes rotation “agnostic” like commercial virtual pinball offerings), you’ll have to edit the POV on every single table, or set Windows to Landscape on the playfield monitor and live with administering from the side of the cabinet and running “rotate on command” software for the commercial programs that expect a portrait monitor.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Jackn
                              Participant
                                @jackn

Hello,

ok – seems that i have to live with this.

Thank you very much

Badazzwi
                                Participant
                                  @badazzwi

When i started my build i had my mind set on running in portrait. After changing around a number of tables i gave landscape a go and nver looked back.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?