This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  bord 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
     bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

Part of our family vacation this year was spent in northern Wisconsin. Among the highlights was time spent with my parents, who live and work at my dad’s display gardens/perennial nursery (pm me if you ever want to visit).

Lurking in their basement are some childhood memories, including a vintage bumper pool table from circa 1950. This was a favorite game of mine growing up but has since fallen into disuse and disrepair.

IMG_20190725_121738792

Having three kids of my own, all of which love watching the Rescue & Restore channel on YouTube, I thought it would be fun to start picking away at this thing and getting it functional again.

IMG_20190725_124807488

The first order of business was vacuuming the entire thing from top to bottom and cleaning out years of internal detritus.

LRM_EXPORT_321532166750952_20190725_172745680

The next job was getting the 20 cent coin mech working again. The workings of this thing were a wonder to me as a kid and it is interesting to see how my boys share the same fascination.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  bord. Reason: typo
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  bord.
     bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

IMG_20190725_172304732

With internal clean up done and basic mechanical functionality restored it was time to assess the playing surface.

The felt shows a lot of wear and areas where it has been torn. Clearly this was done by my younger siblings as a person as upstanding and responsible as me would have never denigrated such a cool toy.

IMG_20190730_142351259

The biggest barrier toward playing a game on this table is the bumpers. All but two are cracked or have stripped threading which keeps them from staying in place. Nothing $40 and an amazon.com order won’t fix, right?

IMG_20190725_132008567

So while waiting for new bumpers to arrive I decided to bust out some magic erasers and get the exterior of the table looking good. I doubt this had been cleaned since it moved into my parents basement 40 plus years ago.

IMG_20190725_172312583

Lurking beneath the grime was a still vibrant and very attractive atomic-era paint spatter pattern.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  bord.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
     Thalamus 
    ContributorMemberModerator

That looks very fun. When you mentioned bumper pool table, I was at first not sure what you where talking about. Then I remember some pictures from a old Sears catalogue we had at our home when I was I young lad. I’ve never seen such a game over here in Europe, but, when I now searched it on youtube I can understand why it was a favorite. Here, pool is synonymous with 8 ball only.

bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

Rare here, too. Although it seems to have been more popular around the mid-century mark. I thought it was the most normal thing in the world growing up because we had one in our basement but never knew anyone else that had one or had even played one.

It’s a fun game and a lot more beginner-friendly than 8 Ball.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

We had very similar one when we were kids. Very cool

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

JR 
    Participant

Man, I’d forgotten about these things.  Buddy of mine had one when we were kids.  Having a full size pool table at home, I was not too impressed first time I saw it.  But wow, they are a LOT of fun.  Thing ended up in our house off-campus at college years later along with a foosball table – not a lot of work got done in that house – and the bumper pool was a huge hit!  Might have to keep an eye out for one.

Very cool Bord! And what a great way for the kids to learn about shooting pool.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  JR. Reason: syntax ..wait, spelling!
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  JR.
     Dark 
    Participant
    vipMemberContributor

A nice little story, thanks for sharing.

3dcreation

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Cool, stuff @bord:good:

My cousins had one growing up that we used to play when we visited, although I believe it was octagon shaped, plus had a top for it to be a regular table or a poker table.  played lots of cards there too, Hearts mostly.  They also has one of the “home” pinball machines as well, not sure which one though.  They were a fun place to visit.  Thanks for the memories.

Tom 
    Participant

Gotta love a family coin op restore.  Wish my parents had those gems in their basement.  My first coin op restore was a jukebox and my kids absolutely loved watching it and listening to it so it’s gonna be with us for a long time.

JR 
    Participant

Zoiks.  This is weird.  https://cleveland.craigslist.org/spo/d/cleveland-slate-bumper-pool-table/6918807087.html

Very bizarre.  This seller is maybe 1/2 mile from where I work.  Slate?  Yep, just contacted the guy and going to look at it tomorrow.  My gf is going to love having this in her basement.    slate bumper table?

Love this website.  My gf?  not so much

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Gosh I sure remember ours being bigger lol! But probably I was just a kid. @bord has a coinop machine which is very very cool.

Jesperpark 
    Participant

I have seen bumper pool tables but never knew the rules before now, seems like simple and fun family game

Have fun restoring your bumper pool table @bord thanks for the share

bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

So today the sad trombone played loud and clear for this project. Despite taking diligent measurements, the replacement bumpers I ordered were too large. womp womp

LRM_EXPORT_69373456122838_20190730_234009654

They fit the holes just fine but the diameter is much larger, making the game extremely difficult and, if you are playing with a center hole, also impossible.

Unfortunately, these are also the only replacement bumpers I can find anywhere. I’ve seen other people online inquiring about where to get the ones I need but with no good leads. I suspect they are unobtainium. So for now that is where this project stalls out.

The good news is we were able to put the large bumpers on the table and get my seven-year-old son some experience playing and learning to bank shots properly. He has been the biggest cheerleader for this project so I’m glad he was able to play a bit after the bumper disappointment.

LRM_EXPORT_28251520922956_20190729_194126854

I also got to play against my dad for the first time in more than 20 years (he can still beat me), which I’m sure many of you can appreciate the personal value of.

I will take one of the old bumpers home with me when our vacation is over and work on modeling it to scale with an eye toward 3D printing a full set. Maybe when we visit again over Christmas we will have properly sized bumpers to play with.

LRM_EXPORT_28452816686237_20190729_194447669

JR 
    Participant

Wow.

Onevox (PeteM) 
    Participant

Great read. I always thought bumper pool was an invention for homes that didn’t have room for a full size pool table. I’ve never seen a coin op version. Does the ball dispenser still work? I was trying to see how the coin mech triggered it.

Tom 
    Participant

Are those posts made of plastic, that would be interesting to see them 3d printed.  Do you have a printer Bord

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Tom.
     bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

@rooster, here is a video of the ball dispenser in action. It is easy to disable for free play. The video is hosted by my son (of Farm Time fame). Excuse the mess, the basement is only used when we visit.

@armyaviation, no 3d printer at home but I’ve used print on demand services with great results, though somewhat pricey. Depending on the project cost I may consider getting a small printer and selling a few sets of the hard to find bumpers to offset the cost.

The bumpers are a good example of the Blender skills I picked up for VP extending their worth into other arenas.

Onevox (PeteM) 
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Mechanical solutions are fascinating. And your son is a natural tour guide. Tell him thanks!</p>

bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

Kids are always surprising. I asked him if he was interested in giving a quick overview. Had no idea that he had staged two dimes in his pocket to prep for the performance.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Video is not playing for me :(

edit: I’m in St. Cloud no cell coverage ignore

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  randr.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account