NASCAR (Stern 2005) – Surround Sound Mod

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

NASCAR (Stern 2005) – Surround Sound Mod

Surround Sound Mod for VPX 10.4

To realise the directional sound effects VPX 10.4 and a surround sound equipped cab is required. Standard cabs should play with enhanced left/right sound separation for many table objects.

To realise the benefits of both directional sound AND an “enhanced” level of tactile feedback, a cab equipped tactile audio exciters is recommended.

Many thanks to requlem for permission to release this mod. This table is based on requlem’s v1.0 released 10 April 2017 – Thanks to all other authors involved.

Thanks to Haunfreaks for some image modifications and ball/flipper shadows and a HUGE THANKS to DJRobX and the rest of the VPX Dev Team for the excellent VPX surround sound code that has made this possible.

*For further information regarding the installation of surround sound and/or the tactile exciters as used in my cab, please see https://www.facebook.com/groups/PoorMansDOF/

8 users thanked author for this post.
      Ben Logan2
      Participant
        @benlogan2

Looks

G R E A T!

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

So I have to say something as you keep putting out statements about the surround sound that makes it seem like you need PMD to use it.  Surround sound in and of itself has absolutely nothing to your so called PMD tactile feedback exciters.  It is surround sound, as in sounds are directed to different speakers based on what they are coded as.  That your PMD setup works wonderfully with it does not mean that in any way shape or form do you need PMD to use it.  You are doing PMD and surround sound both a disservice by linking them like this. The giant “PMD Surround Sound Mod” is misleading and in fact even the first line of your description is just Surround Sound Mod for VPX 10.4 which is what it is.

OK /rant off, I’ve been hitting the Jack again (Jack Daniels for those of you who may not get the reference… whiskey.. I’ve been drinking OK ;)

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

I have no doubt that 7.1 surround with exciters are very nice, and I will probably go that route myself some day. But, BorgDog is correct. It is just a optimized sound mod and it would work just as good for those that have regular speakers in 7.1. Different experience for sure, but still.

Even without 7.1 you should be able to get a better experience.

Jesperpark
            Participant
              @jesperpark

I had it figured out, I love me some Jack Daniels, however I’m told i rant a bit when drinking it too.  I say that is everyone else’s problem not mine :whistle:

RustyCardores
                @rustycardores
                MemberModerator

To realise the directional sound effects VPX 10.4 and a surround sound equipped cab is required. Standard cabs should play with enhanced left/right sound separation for many table objects. To realise the full benefits of both directional sound AND directional tactile feedback, a *PMD equipped cab is recommended.

I’m sorry, but I thought I had covered it well enough in my original statement.  You need surround sound equipped cab, but to realise the “full” benefits of the tactile feedback it can offer, then exciters are “recommended”.

DJRobX
                  @djrobx
                  MemberModerator

Borgdog you are 100% correct.

When asked to describe “PMD support”, I find it’s more of certification process, sort of like what THX is to movies.    Rusty has a reference surround system set up and I worked with him directly when developing the VPX surround option.

So if a table has a “PMD” mod, it means Russel has verified that the code fully supports VPX surround, and that the sounds are balanced to work well on his reference system.     I think it’s important work, especially since people are just starting to get surround in their cabs.

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

The point is it’s not a PMD mod, it’s a surround sound mod. That PMD by it’s nature uses surround sound is nice, but it is not what surround sound is and I think calling it a PMD mod instead of a surround sound mod is just confusing, and yes it is important because not everyone configuring surround sound in their cab is putting PMD in and people looking at just the title are going to see PMD mod and not bother because they don’t have PMD. People who DO have PMD are conversely likely going to know that any surround sound mod is going to be beneficial for them.  I for example have 2 sets of 2.1 speakers in my cab, one in the backbox, one in the main cabinet.  I also have DOF – 2 flipper mechs, 2 slingshot mechs, 3 pop bumper mechs, a 3 chime mech and a knocker all real pinball mechs (plus 3 more solenoids), and frankly don’t have room to add exciters to it nor do I feel I am missing anything by not having it, but yet I can still benefit from better spacial sounds of a surround sound mod (for the few sounds that are left, mainly ball rolling sounds).

tldr version:  surround sound is not the same as PMD

RustyCardores
                      @rustycardores
                      MemberModerator

OP modified

DJRobX
                        @djrobx
                        MemberModerator

because not everyone configuring surround sound in their cab is putting PMD in

And by PMD you mean exciters.   I also find “PMD” is a little hard to define.   Rusty advertises it as an alternative to DOF, and I usually chase behind him and say “… but it’s a great complement to an existing DOF setup!”

That’s why I think of it more as a certification like THX – the actual result is that we end up with a table that has improved surround sound, “expertly” balanced by Rusty on his reference system.   Not unlike when a physics expert like ClarkKent goes through a table and adjusts the physics.

I also think it’s important for folks – especially table authors – to understand that these mods are typically going to improve the experience for all users, not just surround users.    We will typically change each PlaySound command and ensure it is being played at the correct spatial location and at a balanced volume, which is an improvement even for stereo users.    So if Rusty makes a mod like this, it’s a great idea to just integrate his changes into the main table!

RustyCardores
                          @rustycardores
                          MemberModerator

Rusty advertises it as an alternative to DOF, and I usually chase behind him and say “… but it’s a great complement to an existing DOF setup!”

You’ve trained that out of me….. I advertise it as both now ;) lol

STAT
                          Participant
                            @stefanaustria
                            MemberContributor

Thanks Guys, thanks Rusty, haven’t DOF Stuff and Extra Sounds, but Worth an Upgrade because of visual Updates,
                            Thanks for that, Hauntfreaks

Sven34
                            Participant
                              @sven34

Fantastic, tabel for Stern Thank you  :good:

Mark70
                              Participant
                                @mark70

So in easy words: Stereo (only) users will not get any disadvantage (missing sounds etc.) by playing a surround sound mod table, but they can benefit from a “better” stereo sound! (?)

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

I can’t see how that is possible Mark70. So, all tables that implements surround sound will benefit you as long as you don’t have anything less than two speakers.

Adjust the audio properties to match as best as possible your setup. Doesn’t hurt switching between a few alternatives. Since I haven’t tried real 7.1 myself, I’m not sure how much of a difference there really is. But, don’t expect big changes with “normal” 2 speaker + sub.

Mark70
                                  Participant
                                    @mark70

Hi Thalamus, this is what I did understand from DJRobx’s post above.  Like sounds would be better allocated to the (even just two) channels.
                                    Wether stereo improvement or not, at least it is good to know that you can use these mods even for stereo setups without missing any sounds.
                                    I am using a stereo + subwoofer system and still very happy with the sound quality. But you never know, maybe in a few winters : )

DJRobX
                                      @djrobx
                                      MemberModerator

So in easy words: Stereo (only) users will not get any disadvantage (missing sounds etc.) by playing a surround sound mod table, but they can benefit from a “better” stereo sound! (?)

Yes, exactly.   Just better overall table sound, no matter what system you have.

Rusty will also typically add sounds where they’re missing (like soft clunks as the ball rolls down ramps), or improve the quality of existing sound samples.   More thorough choreography.

RustyCardores
                                        @rustycardores
                                        MemberModerator

Yes, exactly. Just better overall table sound, no matter what system you have. Rusty will also typically add sounds where they’re missing (like soft clunks as the ball rolls down ramps), or improve the quality of existing sound samples. More thorough choreography.

and together, Rob and I are continuing to come up with more realistic audio choreography, while at the same time making it easier for the table author to implement.  :good:

Ben Logan2
                                        Participant
                                          @benlogan2

The lighting on this one looks really realistic — especially under the ramps.

Anyohe else get lost balls and need a restart? Happened to me twice. I’ll try deleting nvram.

RustyCardores
                                            @rustycardores
                                            MemberModerator

The lighting on this one looks really realistic — especially under the ramps. Anyohe else get lost balls and need a restart? Happened to me twice. I’ll try deleting nvram.

This version in terms of game play is unmodified from requlem’s original, as it is a mod to implement surround sound only.  I’d suggest checking in the original table thread as well for answers to any lost ball issues.

That said, I have had a ball drain once or twice and it not reappear in the shooter.  A simply nudge solved the issue at the time for me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?