NBA Fastbreak – DarthMarino Mod

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    themotherbrain
    Participant
      @themotherbrain

Thanks for the really nice table!  :good:

DarthMarino
      Participant
        @darthmarino

Hi Darth,

Thanks for updating one of my favourite tables.

Not sure whether it’s my playing, but everytime I try to hit shot 2 from the kicker at the back of the table the shot is blocked even though the defender isn’t in the way. It then kicks to the shot 3 kicker which then releases the ball back to the table.

Cheers

Rob

That’s odd. I’ve never had any issue like that and I’ve played this thing more times than I’d care to admit in the last week. Where exactly is the defender when this happens?  Can you take a video of this happening?

I rarely get blocked and when I do, it’s because I was rushing.  If you get blocked it should roll into shot 2 or 3 (depending on which side you are on) and then kick into the magnet which drops it back into the bumper section.

DarthMarino
        Participant
          @darthmarino

anyone has a link to the backglass mentioned in the description?

I tested it with the one made by herweh.

robbo43
          Participant
            @robbo43

Hi Darth,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I’ve just completed some more testing. Turns out the issue is related to fast flips, not the table.

I didn’t really play the table before enabling fast flips. When fast flips is enabled the following happens with the in the paint kickers:

Shot 1 (sw68) fires the ball with the plungerkey (or lockbarkey as I’ve got it mapped) and passes with the right flipper

Shot 2 (sw67) does not fire the ball with the plungerkey. It fires the ball with the right flipper key so no pass to shot 3. This is what initially confused me – I was hitting the plunger/lockbarkey and the ball wouldn’t shoot leading to me thinking it was being blocked.

Shot 3 (sw66) fires the ball with the plungerkey and passes with the flippers

Shot 4 (sw55) does not fire the ball with the plungerkey. It fires the ball with the right flipper key

Another downside to fastflips is the flippers don’t work for the million dollar shot.

I will make a post to let DJRobX know the issue and see if anything can be done.

Again, thanks so much for updating the table.

Cheers

Rob

DarthMarino
            Participant
              @darthmarino

Thanks for the details. It funny, some guys were talking about adding fast flips to this table on Facebook.  Apparently it’s on the list of compatible games.  I was going to add the code in tonight for the eventual update but I will hold off for now.

So far my change list is pretty minor:

-STAT’s settings for the flippers.

-Redone walls for the cabinet (see post near the bottom of page 1)

-Rearranged some flashers and removed the bleedthrough visible beyond the cab in desktop mode

-New floor image on the DT background

robbo43
              Participant
                @robbo43

Hi Darth,

So I think you may want to leave the fast flips code out for the time being. The kicker issue is fixed by adding a couple of extra lines of code, but this does not fix the dead flipper during million dollar shot issue. DJRobX is going to take a look in due course.

Cheers

Rob

vogliadicane
                Participant
                  @vogliadicane

ok, I’ll wait for some more updates. I still play the first version and I’d like to thank you for this upgrade, I like it a lot. :yes:

If you are planning more updates you might also want to set the lighting/ambient (keep this low) to RGB 0/0/0. Then the ball doesn’t look washed out.

Will the image change of the sidewalls be an option for cab users? I like the old one.

DarthMarino
                  Participant
                    @darthmarino

ok, I’ll wait for some more updates. I still play the first version and I’d like to thank you for this upgrade, I like it a lot. :yes:

If you are planning more updates you might also want to set the lighting/ambient (keep this low) to RGB 0/0/0. Then the ball doesn’t look washed out.

Will the image change of the sidewalls be an option for cab users? I like the old one.

It will default with the black walls but there will be a line of code for a “StadiumMod” that will use the old ones. I will try out the lighting.

DarthMarino
                    Participant
                      @darthmarino

Hi Darth,

So I think you may want to leave the fast flips code out for the time being. The kicker issue is fixed by adding a couple of extra lines of code, but this does not fix the dead flipper during million dollar shot issue. DJRobX is going to take a look in due course.

Cheers

Rob

Yeah, I saw the discussion and that was my first thought.  Besides that, I can’t even get fast flips to work to test it out. I have a pretty recent pinMAME. I updated when Batman Dark Knight came out to get the crane working. I changed the solenoid line and added the init line and the flippers just don’t work for me.

DarthMarino
                      Participant
                        @darthmarino

I watched some footage of the real game to confirm some changes I was thinking about.

-I removed the random setting from the auto plunge so it always dumps into the bumper area.

-I jacked up the slingshot force to 9.  I think it plays better and it should fix an issue I thought the initial release fixed where the ball will sometimes get into an endless back and forth between the slings until you give it a few good nudges.

I also confirmed something about the shot clock. Sometimes if you do an event within an event the clock doesn’t work right. It just says 00 and starts blinking when time is almost up.  This is all controlled by the ROM so I couldn’t do anything about it anyway but it does also happen on the real machine.

Mark70
                        Participant
                          @mark70

Thanks DarthMarino, DJRobX and everyone involved :good:

blackvulcan3
                          Participant
                            @blackvulcan3

Hey DarthMarino, I put some time in today. Really nice, I agree with STAT about the flippers and tried his changes. They are good but I still cant make the H ramp from the right flipper, the strength of shot just isn’t there, for me at least.

The other issue I have is that the ball strength on each ball start is low, but I see you had made that random, it didnt appear random for me, just seemed to either not make it up high enough or just barely make it over into the right flipper ramp.

FastFlips didnt seem to work for me with the change in Solenoid value to 2, but going from the comments above I’ve changed it back to 1 anyway.

Still, this is some really nice work on a table that doesn’t get the props it should. Lots of fun.

DarthMarino
                            Participant
                              @darthmarino

Hey DarthMarino, I put some time in today. Really nice, I agree with STAT about the flippers and tried his changes. They are good but I still cant make the H ramp from the right flipper, the strength of shot just isn’t there, for me at least.

The other issue I have is that the ball strength on each ball start is low, but I see you had made that random, it didnt appear random for me, just seemed to either not make it up high enough or just barely make it over into the right flipper ramp.

FastFlips didnt seem to work for me with the change in Solenoid value to 2, but going from the comments above I’ve changed it back to 1 anyway.

Still, this is some really nice work on a table that doesn’t get the props it should. Lots of fun.

The H ramp should be easier to hit in the update.  The auto plunge will also land in the bumper section every time.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              Thalamus
                                @thalamus
                                ContributorMemberModerator

Thanks for the update !

blackvulcan3
                                Participant
                                  @blackvulcan3

Thank you for the update DarthMarino. Really excellent improvements. The shot strength is back and the H ramp can be made with the right shot and the ball starts well into the bumpers. Its really nice, great work.

blackvulcan3
                                  Participant
                                    @blackvulcan3

Further to my last and you saw a reference to it at VPF Darth, I have isolated the high scores to an nvram issue but only in PinballX and only NBA Fastbreak. From the editor it works fine and updates the nvram, from within PinballX, nothing.

I was on 2.65, updated to 3.06 of PinballX, same issue.

I may have to ask Tom direct (and put away enough time to get familiar with PinUp Popper – I have holidays in September and was hoping to wait until then).

Great table, if anyone else has issues like this and are resolved please let me know.

blackvulcan3
                                    Participant
                                      @blackvulcan3

Thanks to DJRobX and another member of VPJ they advised to add this to the script.

Sub Table_exit()
                                      Controller.Stop
                                      End sub

this will close the table properly and quickly so VPX doesn’t kill it without the nvram save.

DarthMarino
                                      Participant
                                        @darthmarino

Thanks to DJRobX and another member of VPJ they advised to add this to the script.

Sub Table_exit()

Controller.Stop

End sub

this will close the table properly and quickly so VPX doesn’t kill it without the nvram save.

I will add this to the next update.  So far I just did a small graphical change and I put the flashing “shoot” button on the apron instead of  just the small red light.  I will probably make this optional since its not supposed to be there.  Not a very worthwhile update so I’ll probably wait until the fast flips are sorted out.

DarthMarino
                                        Participant
                                          @darthmarino

I’m finishing up a few small things for 1.2 but the good news is that DJRobX got the fast flips to work correctly in all modes including Million Dollar Shot and the Trophy Multiball wizard mode.  It will require whatever the next VPinMAME is so I may hold off until then to put it out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          CarnyPriest
                                          Participant
                                            @carnypriest

SAMbuild – I can begin a new beta cycle if you are looking to make a release. No problem.  :yes:

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?