New Build: Using older graphics cards & other items

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Playa1970
    Participant
      @playa1970

Hello,

I am piecing together some older components, as I needed the newer pc for my arcade/MAME cabinet.

I have a FirePro V8700…very nice card back in the day.  256bit bus with 1GB GDDR5.

Thoughts on using this card?  From what I am thinking….VPX doesn’t rely heavily on vertex shaders and all the other 3-D gaming requirements, correct?

Wouldn’t a powerful 2D card or a workstation card like my V8700 be a very good card to use?

I also thought about Crossfiring 2 V8700’s together…for the heck of it, thus adding more power (but of course, VPX wouldn’t take advantage of all that processing power, since it’s not an app programmed to do so, etc, etc)

VPX is mostly concerned with CPU and RAM, yes?
      I was hoping to put together a Xenon Quad Core, single or dual Firepro V8700’s, 8-16GB DDR3 Ram.

What about hard drives?  Would an SSD make any difference when playing tables, or just stick to a decent SATA?

Any and all comments and replies are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
      Brian

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

VPX likes a good video card i would say 4gb ram would be min if you want a stutter free playing cab 1GB just is not going to be enough

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

gtxjoe
        Participant
          @gtxjoe

VPX is video card centric and requires more horsepower than Mame arcade games

reccomended card is a GTX1050 ti or equivalent for 1080p. the FirePro is underpowered  I have an old gtx 660 and I can’t turn on all of the video bells and whistles in VPX

go to a 1070ti for a 4K setup

SSD recommended since you will be nudging/shaking the pinball cabinet. My pin cab is my media server also so I also have 3  traditional Sata hard drives and I have not had any failures. So not mandatory

hlr53
          Participant
            @hlr53

I tried a GTX730 4 gig mini in an old Gateway desktop I had for work and a lot of VPX tables bring it to its knees. To get at least 60FPS on a lot of EM tables I turn everything off in VPX and play with the settings in the nVidia control panel only.  It has no trouble on Future Pinball tables, even Slam’s which look resource heavy. VP9 tables run 4X faster.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?