New player here! Starting a DIY project.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Yskonyn
    Participant
      @yskonyn

Hello pinball wizards!

As I’ve already posted in the introductions thread, I am a new DIY digital pinball player.
      I’ve bought a Sharpin bartop pinball kit which I am going to modify into a proper VPX digital cabinet with a backglass and DMD over time. The project is based on practicality and portability, because I do not have the space for a full size pinball machine, even though I would LOVE to own one at some point. :) I guess we’ll first have to upgrade the house. :D

Anyway, the Sharpin will run on my old gaming hardware which I have laying around because of a recent PC upgrade; Intel i5 4670K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, Asus Z87-A motherboard and a Geforce 1050Ti (the only part I needed to buy for this).

I am planning to house all hardware inside the Sharpin cabinet, perhaps lowering the bottom plate a little to make it all fit. The ‘prototype’ will just be placed on top of a computer case for now, to confirm everything is working first.

I’ve already been tinkering with VPX on my gaming desktop and was able to get the Terminator 2 Judgment Day table running well! Very cool! Shoutout to the user that created the table for us to enjoy! It’s a teenage favorite of mine (we had one at our football cantina) and I am very excited to be able to play it again after all those years!

But seeing as bits and bobs are scattered over various websites I’d like to ask you for your favorite VPX tables! Which tables do you feel are must-haves running on anyone’s cabinet? Or perhaps which author’s are confirmed to have quality work put up on the sites?
      Also, which websites should I bookmark? I currently have this one (obviously! ;) ) and  vpforums.org.

I am sure many more questions will come over time. I am very grateful for all the stuff that you guys share here, the time and effort that has been put into creating guides, etc so someone new to all this, like me, has a proper kickstart! THANK YOU!

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

“I’d like to ask you for your favorite VPX tables”    I think you’ve already figured out how finding tables that YOU are interested in is the best reward.  If you’re a T2 fan perhaps check out STTNG?  That’s not too shabby.

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

@yskonyn, glad you’re around.

If you haven’t tried Herweh’s Mousin’ Around I highly recommend it. Just pure fun.

My forte is pre-1986 games so if you ever venture into that territory I have a bunch to recommend.

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

..and Herweh’s Hurricane is what I finish my night’s with.  Wildman’s backglass actually makes me look up.

Yskonyn
            Participant
              @yskonyn

Thank you for the input, guys!

The tables that feature things from my childhood/teen years are (perhaps for everyone) those that appeal to me most, usually film themed.

But various tables have different versions and also roms seem to come in different versions.
              is there any rhyme or reason for selecting which version one should install?

That’s what I meant with author recommendation . I can imagine not all tables are compatible with the current VPX for example? Or perhaps require dependencies I need to be aware of?

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

I refuse to mention favorite tables. There are so many great ones I would not be able to do a fair judgement of them all. There are of course guys that are better authors than others. Then again, if eg. flupper where the only one to make tables we would have maybe 4-5 tables ;) Yes, I did mention one, but, there are others that with the help of friends have made just as good releases. What you should look for is the guys that have been in the business for minimum 5 years. Those are the best artists. But, it surely doesn’t mean that they are the only ones that have released great tables. Again, not going to point out individuals. The older guys are just better at this then the “younger generation”, in most cases.

If you like how a table plays, stick with the author, is my suggestion. Don’t trust version numbers or newer releases blindly. B-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?