NFozzy physics vs JP Arcade physics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

Has anyone done a comparison of the two yet.  I haven’t had a chance to extensively play  JPs new tables so I wonder how they add up to Nfozzys physics

rothbauerw
        @rothbauerw
        ModeratorContributorMembervip

I have.  I don’t think it’s fair to compare them.  I don’t think JP is trying to simulate real world physics and he calls them Arcade physics for a reason.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

rivaldo85
        Participant
          @rivaldo85

What tabels (can u send links) are fizzy physics?

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

This is what he wrote in his first post

“But there were a few things I wanted to change to make the ball behave more how I think a pinball ball should behave.”

not trying to put either down, I think both play very well compared to where we were in the past.  I was just wondering how they differ and whether their could be benefits to comparing to come up with an even more realistic physics, if that’s even possible??

rothbauerw
              @rothbauerw
              ModeratorContributorMembervip

I for one am very happy with the current state of nFozzy physics.  I don’t think they really require much, if any, adjustment at this point.  In my opinion, much of what JP was/is trying to do is already accounted for in nFozzy physics.  But I am probably somewhat biased as I have spend several hundred hours or more developing and building on to nFozzy’s physics to play more like real pinball.  That includes side-by-side comparisons and precise calculation of velocities and behaviors based on slow motion video.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Tom
              bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

I have. I don’t think it’s fair to compare them. I don’t think JP is trying to simulate real world physics and he calls them Arcade physics for a reason.

This is where I landed on the issue, too. JP’s build style is a minimal aesthetic – use what VP offers and keep things simple – and he has done a lot w/ that model. I think he used the same aesthetic with physics – minimal things fixing some of VP’s deficiencies at the flippers. They feel fast and flow-y but the ball speed doesn’t attenuate like it does in real pinball and personally I miss the rubber dampeners too much. I think arcade physics is a good description.

robertms
                Participant
                  @mophead

JP summed it up best over at VPF:

“..I was happy with the result, as I could make most of the tricks and all the shots and backhands as in the videos. There are of course limitations to the VPX flippers, as my settings only try to get the most out of VPX physics just like they are now. If you prefer some more precision then you should go for the flipper and rubber enhancements that nFozzy and Rothbauer are doing in their tables, but since those settings require a lot of math calculation done in the script then you’ll need a really good CPU, otherwise the table will not be playable.”

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

Ahhh makes sense.  The wierd thing is, my setup is a hodgepodge of used parts I threw together, and older I7 with a used motherboard.   Mine runs perfectly fine.  I would think that many more people have better setups than mine but maybe I am wrong

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

A good way of testing that Tom. Take the table you expect is most demanding from JPS 3.0 released tables and apply rothfozzy physics to it. You then can compare not only how they differ when it comes to physics, but, also if your own cpu can handle it well. I’m sure there are people in our community who are on the very edge, and where the scripted solution will start to come into play too much. Fortunately, for me, my cab seems to handle this very well. Just make sure that you are using the latest information of the tutorials. I had one table that was released with rothfozzy that I could not fall in love with. I was given a new copy, where I was told that all that had been done to it was to update it with the latest info. And, it is now – together with a few, recent created updates, the best playing table I’ve got.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?