No Good Gofers (Williams 1997)

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Clark Kent
    Participant
      @clarkkent
      MemberContributor

And another update:

As I have a scanned wheel decal, I replaced it on the table. Also color corrected the plastics and improved some of them as I have very good photos of the original plastics.

Also replaced some sound with high quality recordings. Bumpers, slings, trough, kickers, etc.

Removed some unnecessary and unused images to make the file a little bit smaller.

Same link as above!

Rothbauerw: The script is a new one from DJRobX. With the new VPM and the latest VPX version it’s fully ROM controlled and could spin in both directions and is relatively exactly showing the right value. On my system it is butter smooth but if you could do it even better with the same behavior – why not!

Dark
        @dark
        vipMemberContributor

You know Clark, I’m often one to come to your defence and I try to see the best in people but I have to admit I’m annoyed.  If you had a scan of the wheel why didn’t you mention it earlier?  I spent hours straightening out the wheel with the resources we had not to mention extra time spent on rendering the wheel blur images for realistic motion blur in 3dsmax that probably are now the ‘unused images’ you now refer to.  Also it’s been well established that many table authors don’t like you posting in their table threads with dropbox links,  either get permission to mod or contact the author privately and have enough patience for them to assess the updates, but go ahead just continue being inconsiderate.  Or if you are going to post dropbox links you could maybe check with the author first to see if that’s not going to piss them off.

3dcreation

Clark Kent
        Participant
          @clarkkent
          MemberContributor

Dark, no problem, I understand what you mean. Bodydump never reacts to any PMs or posts addressed directly to him, others also told me so, too. I think it’s the best to present the latest developments to the public otherwise no improvements will reach the players. It’s definitely not disrespect and no offense meant – it’s just to make the table the best it could be! This must be in the sense of the table author I think. I often contact authors privately, many projects have been release with my additions. Most times I ask the author not to mention me at all.

Yesterday I found the wheel decal in my archive and wasn’t sure if I should use it but after checking the one from the table I noticed that the one I have is much more exact. You spent hours for the blurred images or just the decal itself? I just added them again with the scanned wheel – I just used radial blurring filter from Photoshop to get the same effect. But all in all the new wheel code from rothbauerw seems to be a little bit better and the additional blurred wheels are not necessary.

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

The original pic of the wheel we had was not square and when it spun it would wobble a lot, I spent hours flattening it to reduce the wobble to a minimum.  The blurred images don’t take long to make, it’s maybe 10 mins of set up and 5mins of rendering tops.  I take the wheel image in 3D, and animate it spinning at aprox. the same rate as what I’d seen it in videos,  I apply a realistic motion blur effect in 3dsmax which calculates the blur based on speed,  the software does all the math.  For NGG if I remember correctly it had 8 stages of blurring depending on the speed.

I’m currently busy with Gilligan’s Island but I could re-do the blur effect some time with the new wheel image, and if you know exactly how fast or how many spins per second, I can animate it to match.

3dcreation

vamprecords
            Participant
              @vamprecords

link is not working..

Clark Kent
              Participant
                @clarkkent
                MemberContributor

That’s a good question – but how could we possibly find out how fast the wheel spins on the real machine? It spins so fast that you can not count it. I had the idea to make a 120 fps video of the spinning wheel but the speed is always different. I think I’ll discuss that with an owner of the real machine, I know someone who has the machine.

Did I send you all the Gilligan Island stuff I have?

Clark Kent
                Participant
                  @clarkkent
                  MemberContributor

link is not working..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdw5wphc8a27fnn/No%20Good%20Gofers%20%28Williams%201997%29%201.0.1%20NewPlexi.rar?dl=0

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Dark
                    @dark
                    vipMemberContributor

That’s a good question – but how could we possibly find out how fast the wheel spins on the real machine? It spins so fast that you can not count it. I had the idea to make a 120 fps video of the spinning wheel but the speed is always different. I think I’ll discuss that with an owner of the real machine, I know someone who has the machine. Did I send you all the Gilligan Island stuff I have?

Yes you did but majority of the resources were already available through the VP9 version of the table.  Unless you have a PF redraw we are good for resources on Gilligans since we got HD photos of all the plastics disassembled from the table.  I also got HD pics of Kona which is why the model looks just like the real thing.  John90803 was a huge help in getting what we needed.  I’ve been waiting for him to respond to me though for a final request, I need good flat HD pics of the cabinet art for my ‘virtual’ build.

3dcreation

bodydump
                    Participant
                      @bodydump

Wow.  I’ve done my best to avoid the drama that has become so common in this hobby.  Sometimes I do this by just ignoring things like Clark’s condescending disrespectful comments and dropbox links.  But I guess Clark’s going to force me into this.  I have all of the PM’s ever sent to me on VPF saved.  I have only one conversation with you, way back when you wanted help on QBerts Quest, which I helped you with.  I took time to fix several issues.  I don’t have much free time.  I spent time and worked on it, sent it to you and you replied  that someone else did it for you.  You wasted my time.  I let it go.  Now you’re going to use the excuse that I don’t answer PM’s to justify releasing a mod days after the tables is released.  Did you try PMing me? No.  For someone who claims to not want credit, you sure do toot your own horn a lot while making zero effort to keep your work anonymous.  I would think that if you wanted no credit, as you’re always saying, that you would share your changes privately with the author.  Although I don’t like you, I do like you physics changes, but then you change backdrop settings and lighting to the way you like them. Really?  Oh wait, that’s right, you’re doing it for the community.  Where have I heard that before?  Hauntfreaks and I had the backdrop and lighting exactly how we wanted it.  I think table authors should be able to at least make tables look the way they want.  Anyway, I vowed never to get sucked into the drama and here I am.  So with that I will add myself to the lengthening list of authors no longer releasing tables due to you and your disrespect.  I certainly don’t mind mods but I do mind blatant disrespect.  I would have been happy to work in your changes in future updates but your approach to all of this made that impossible.  Thanks to all the people who actually made the hobby fun.   I always knew as the hobby grew and more people joined that this day would come.  At least my family will be happy :)

Sliderpoint
                      Participant
                        @sliderpoint
                        MemberContributor

Sorry to hear Bodydump, but I 100% understand your decision and I share your thoughts on it.

-Mike

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Bodydump I’ve mentioned before that I think Dropbox links are desrespectful to the author in a release thread. I respect whatever you think bodydump

********************************************************
                          Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

robertms
                          Participant
                            @mophead

So with that I will add myself to the lengthening list of authors no longer releasing tables due to you and your disrespect.

BIG bummer dude.. :-(

TNT2
                            Participant
                              @tnt2

I debated on whether or not to comment on this. I am not a table author so perhaps my opinion is irrelevant.

But as a VP user I grow tired of Clark Kent’s negative impact on the VP community.

Drybonz
                              Participant
                                @drybonz

The drama, in general, gets a bit old.  I have never been involved in some niche of the internet that has so much never-ending drama as visual pinball.  One ends just as another begins.

When I see a modded table link in a thread I tend to just assume the person that posted has checked with the author, but I guess that’s not always the case.  Sorry to hear this happened.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                DJRobX
                                  @djrobx
                                  MemberModerator

I’ve been off in my own little thread at VPU trying to perfect that silly wheel per request from Bent98 and Bodydump, and I missed all this drama.  No wonder I hadn’t gotten any feedback.    :(

I think CK is trying to be constructive, but he seems to have trouble understanding the types of things that set people off.     Last year I got very irritated with one of my interactions with him too, and stopped contributing for quite a while myself.    But after stepping away from the “scene”, taking some deep breaths,  I realize his “nagging and condescending remarks” are coming from a place of wanting to make things better.    In this case he says so explicitly:

“It’s definitely not disrespect and no offense meant – it’s just to make the table the best it could be!”

I don’t blame you for feeling the way that you do about him posting modded versions of your table.  I hope I haven’t also offended you by posting updated scripts that utilize the new wheel code that I wrote, but I though it was just the simplest way to share what the new VPM was capable of without requiring work on your part.

I remember back when Dozer started releasing the FOM mods,  I tried to as gently as possible suggest that it would be good to have an optional setting to reign in the effect to be more realistic, and lots of people jump all over me, horrified that I was somehow trashing his work (despite me repeatedly saying how awesome I thought it was).   Dozer understood and seemed totally fine.  But it shows that it’s sometimes REALLY hard on an Internet forum to offer up suggestions without coming off the wrong way.

I’ve had a lot of fun working on the wheel problem, so thanks for the great table.    Lots will undoubtedly enjoy playing this great game thanks to your hard work.   I hope, like me, you come to the conclusion not to let one person ruin it for both yourself and everyone else.    But if you decide that you’re finished releasing tables for good, I can respect that too.   Just know your hard work was appreciated.

Dodger
                                  Participant
                                    @dodger1980

Well that pretty much sucks.

Clark Kent
                                    Participant
                                      @clarkkent
                                      MemberContributor

Bodydump, I apologize for the inconvenience, it was never my intention to step on one’s toes. As I already said, the highest goal is to get the best and most exact gaming experience possible – and if you look at my fixes and corrections I certainly reached that goal, NGG plays perfect now without ball stucks or any other problems. If you want you can use the improvements without mention me at all, I do not need tribute. I tried to contact you several times in the past but as far as I remember I never got an answer (an other member also told me so). That’s why I addressed my first post concerning improvements in this thread directly to you but you never answered to that, too – why didn’t you told me back then it’s not ok for you? No hard feelings, really. I think it would be nicer to get less drama and more working together. But all in all I’ll stop posting my improvements, although it’s collateral damage for the regular players. I’ll keep my closest contacts informed when I have another version or any new table improvements by PM.

Umpa
                                      Participant
                                        @umpa

Well this sucks on all accounts!

rothbauerw
                                          @rothbauerw
                                          ModeratorContributorMembervip

I appreciate and respect the wishes of the authors.  I also appreciate Clark’s contributions to the community.

During my short time on these forums, I have seen authors interact in many different ways with those wishing to help.  Some have leveraged open collaboration in the threads, dropbox links and all.  Others prefer PM.  Some don’t want feedback or help.

In general, I have seen this community respect the wishes of the author when they’ve made it known.  Whether etiquette was breached or not, one message setting boundaries on what’s acceptable would save everyone a lot of heartache.

Personally, I participate here because I really enjoy it.  If authors choose to use my contributions, I am grateful.  If they don’t, I probably learned something in the process and gained satisfaction from figuring out how to get something done.  If I offended someone in the process, I apologize.  But please let me know.  I’ll do my best to respect your wishes.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Gromit
                                          Participant
                                            @gromit

I have enjoyed Bodydump’s work and Clark Kent’s improvements. They are both major contributors to the VP world. It’s really a shame that we can’t work some way to work out a release structure to make authors and contributors happy. We’re all losing BIG time if both these guys stop doing what they do. It all seems to come down to miscomunication…

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 129 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?