NOBS (BorgDog 2016)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/nobs-borgdog-2016/

I had posted a wip of my Nobs table about a year ago on vpf, and have since redone a lot of the table with a lot of help/suggestions from sliderpoint. The vp table is pretty much where I would like it to be, and I’ve actually started building it in Mission Pinball Framework (MPF) as I’m seriously considering making a real machine version. The table is built about like an early gottlieb system 1 would be with digital displays, but still chimes in the cabinet. I’ve gone beyond what the system 1 machines did and added things like high score initials that they never did (although aftermarket replacement brains for them have added it).

Gameplay:
      If you play or understand the card game Cribbage, then this will make some sense to you, if you have no idea how cribbage works you will be a little lost but I’ll try to explain the basics.

The 3 main scoring mechanisms in Cribbage are pairs, runs, and 15s. 15s being a combination of cards that add up to 15. Each pair counts for two points (or as I call them in this game “pegs” since the game is usually played with a board and pegs to keep track of score). Each 15 counts two pegs as well. Runs are 3 or more cards in sequence, suit does not matter, and score 1 peg for each card, ie a 4 card run scores 4 pegs. Cribbage is about probabilities and maximizing your count. A lot of cribbage I didn’t see translating very well, but did make the main theme of hands. In cribbage you are dealt 6 cards at the beginning of a hand, you choose your best possible combination of 4 of those cards and discard the other 2 to the dealers “crib” which the dealer gets as another hand when scoring comes. Dealing rotates among the players each hand. After all players has discarded their 2 crib cards the top card on the remaining cards not dealt is turned over and becomes part of everyone’s hand for scoring. That is where the probability comes in, what cards are most likely to come up. In cribbage all the face cards count as 10 when scoring 15s so there is a pretty good chance of a card that counts as 10 coming up.

As you can see on the Nobs playfield there are 4 hands to be completed for pegs through a combination of rollover and drop targets. when you complete one of those hands you are awarded pegs based on that hand and what card is showing on the roto target in the upper right (the “turn” card). So one thing to do in the game is pay attention to what is on the roto and shoot for the most points accordingly.

The 4 color coded hands are as follows:

1. K, Q, J rollovers on the top and the 5 rollover in the left outlane. by itself completeing this hand scores 9 pegs (3 sets of 15 for 2, and a run of 3 for 3)
      2. 6, 5, 5, 4 drop target bank on the left side. by itself this hand scores 12 pegs (2 sets of 15 for 2 each, 2 runs of 3 cards for 3 each, and a pair of 5s for 2)
      3. A, 2, 3 drop targets and the 2 rollover on the right side. by itself this hand scores a double-run of 3 for 8 (cribbage shortcut for 2 runs of 3 for 3 each and a pair for 2)
      4. 6 and 9 drop targets on the right and the 8 right outlane and 7 left inlane. by itself this hand scores 8 points; 2 sets of 15 for 2, and a run of 4 for 4.

(hopefully I counted correctly LOL)

To add more scoring I did a few things that are not necessarily part of a real cribbage game. hitting the roto target scores the value of the up card (face cards are 10), a lit star rollover scores 1 peg (they are lit by clearing other rollovers), hitting a drop or rollover that is the same as the roto scores a pair for 2, hitting a drop or rollover that in combination with the roto adds up to 15 pegs a 15 for 2, and hitting the extra ball stand up target spins the roto and pegs 1.

A game in cribbage is 121 pegs. And games are counted separately from pegs. Playing in 2 player mode also allows for “skunks” and “double-skunks”. A skunk is when one player wins the game (more than 120 points) and their opponent has 90 or less points and counts as 2 games won, and a double-skunk is when the loser has 60 or less points and counts as 4 games won (tournament and local rules differ on these though). High “scores” are kept track of for both the total number of pegs you earn during the match and total number of games won.

Extra balls are awarded for winning a cribbage game, and for hitting the target when lit, which is lit after hitting 6 lit rollovers, either all 6 on the playfield, or can be the same ones after scoring a hand it resets. Of note as well is that when you make the 6 lit rollovers in addition to lighting the target for extra ball it also opens the gate on the right outlane to drain, although that one has a rubber post for potential saves. The left outlane opens once you clear the 5 rollover there, and resets when the hand resets.

I am looking for feedback on play, rules, more ideas for scoring, anything basically is game :)

Oh, and the name of the table “NOBS” is a cribbage turn that applies when scoring your hand if you have the jack that matches the suit of the turn card you score 1 peg for nobs. Also you may notice that while the scoring display keeps track of total pegs for the match (all 5 balls), the individual cribbage games are kept track of on the figure 8 cribbage board around the pop bumpers. And extra pegs do not roll over into the new game, so having a total of 242 pegs doesn’t usually mean you won 2 cribbage games unless you happened to win both with exactly 121 pegs (not very likely).

10 users thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Holly crap this looks great!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

xenonph
        Participant
          @xenonph
          MemberContributor

I love the card game Cribbage!!

To meld it together with Pinball is absolutely brilliant!!

You really did a great job!! Looks magnificent!!

Thanks for all the work you do for the Pinball Community!!

It is appreciated!!

Carry on Sir!!

Drybonz
          Participant
            @drybonz

Thanks, BorgDog… looking forward to playing this.  I like how much thought you have put into the scoring and rules, and that it looks like an actual old-school table. :good:

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

I love the card game Cribbage!! To meld it together with Pinball is absolutely brilliant!! You really did a great job!! Looks magnificent!! Thanks for all the work you do for the Pinball Community!! It is appreciated!! Carry on Sir!!

Thanks, if you have any other ideas as you play for more cribbage-ish scoring please let me know.

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Man Borgdog this is very clever indeed! great table!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

bord
                  @bord
                  MembervipContributorModerator

Wow, man. Build this thing.

Al
                  Participant
                    @alandee

Hate Cribbage .. love your tables :)

This is a cool fun table to try and beat !

Cheers,

al.

Ben Logan2
                    Participant
                      @benlogan2

Awesome, Borgdog. So creative. Can’t wait to try it tomorrow. You are on a roll lately, sir. Thanks!

StevOz
                      Participant
                        @stevoz

You da dog, this is great mate..woof!  B-)

The shifty options are Ace!

freelunch
                        Participant
                          @freelunch

After losing ball 5 on a game I got a lot of pegs:
                          Script Error
                          Line 1984
                          Invalid procedure call or argument ‘ASC’

This is imo the most interesting EM style table I’ve played because of the unique scoring. I like how changes to the game state encourage the player to reevaluate how they can score. I’m not a cribbage player, but the theme seems well executed.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

Never heard about the card game and the rules as you explain it – is getting me a headache. ;-)

But, I’m sure I’ll figure it out after a while. You know I love you tables and I have a feeling that once I understand the scoring this is going to become a jewel in the collection. Thank you very much Dan.

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

After losing ball 5 on a game I got a lot of pegs: Script Error Line 1984 Invalid procedure call or argument ‘ASC’ This is imo the most interesting EM style table I’ve played because of the unique scoring. I like how changes to the game state encourage the player to reevaluate how they can score. I’m not a cribbage player, but the theme seems well executed.

hmm, I’ll have to see if I can replicate that error, it’s in the high score initial entry section, and from where its at you were playing desktop right, no db2s?

Never heard about the card game and the rules as you explain it – is getting me a headache. ;-) But, I’m sure I’ll figure it out after a while. You know I love you tables and I have a feeling that once I understand the scoring this is going to become a jewel in the collection. Thank you very much Dan.

lol, yeah cribbage is best learned in person, but basically for this shoot to try and clear the hands is how you get the most points, if you can get a hand that goes with the roto you get more points, pairs are the easiest to recognize so if the roto is on a 4, then then left drops of 4, 5, 5, 6 is the best thing to shoot for (lots of points), it doesnt add anything to the 6, 7, 8, 9 hand (no pairs no extra adding to 15, no extra runs).

I don’t think I mentioned it above but if you clear all 4 hands in one ball it lights all segments of the double-peg and then everything is double for the rest of that ball, and the skill shot at the beginning (hit the flashing lane) scores 2 pegs.

freelunch
                              Participant
                                @freelunch

hmm, I’ll have to see if I can replicate that error, it’s in the high score initial entry section, and from where its at you were playing desktop right, no db2s?

Correct.

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

Just uploaded a version 1.1 that should take care of the issue.  Don’t know when I broke it, as I know it used to work.  Thanks freelunch (even though I don’t think you exist, no such thing I’d always been told)

Andypc
                                  Participant
                                    @andypc

Thanks for the table BorgDog :good:   Does anyone have a wheel image for this yet?

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus
                                      ContributorMemberModerator

I just made a temporary one from https://cooltext.com/

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

I made a cheesy one, artwork is still a wip so things will get updated later.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                        HauntFreaks
                                          @hauntfreaks
                                          vipContributorMember

you never cease to amaze me….

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

you never cease to amaze me….

LOL @hauntfreaks here, try this http://nobs-pinball.blogspot.com/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?