Noob question – lockdown bar install and side channels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DeadFlipSociety
    Participant
      @deadflipsociety

Hello all, I’ve been hunting, but coming up empty on what feels like something that I’m sure is documented.

I’m building a mini-pin (18″ wide) and just got my custom lockdown bar. I don’t have a real machine to contrast it with.

A possibly important note is that I’m using 1/2″ ply, not 3/4″

My question is this – how the heck is the lockdown bar supposed to be installed?

First the bar. If I try to make this flush with the front of the cab, there is a “ledge” which is part of the receiver tab (pic 1) that lifts it off the ply. I don’t know what the purpose of that is, but having a metal tab that is taking player weight pressing down on the plywood feels like a recipe for delam. The effect is that it lifts up the front edge higher than I would think I would need (pic 3). It also seems like this isn’t a good solution for solid purchase. I’m not sure what the point of this ridge is. If it were flipped, it would make sense to hold the glass (rather than the tabs), but something just isn’t adding up.

Now the receiver. Trying to figure out how to position this properly to get the bar to fit snugly. I’m guessing that my 1/2″ ply is not serving me well here and that I should shim it to get it to pull the bar straight down?

I’m sure there must be a good resource out there for the whole lockdown/siderail/glass/trim build process? This is pretty much the first part of struggled with in the build.

Any suggestions or resources appreciated!

IMG_7485

IMG_7487

IMG_7484

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

The lockdown bar and receiver is designed around 3/4″ plywood, so you will need a shim to move the receiver back about 1/4″. The lockdown bar is also designed to lock down onto the siderails on either side, and the siderails help support it on the left and right ends. Once everything is in place, it won’t put excessive force on the plywood faces, even as the receiver pulls it down, it transfers through the side rails into the top of the side walls. Many receivers are also designed to bolt through the cabinet in at least one place, sometimes through the coin door frame, sometimes above it, providing an additional point of strength.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        DeadFlipSociety
        Participant
          @deadflipsociety

I’m still not getting the point of the edge towards the player on the lockdown bar. Is it designed to create the right offset for the siderails? Any thoughts from folks on how to sequence the dry-fit and placement appreciated. If I read the reply correctly, this sounds like I need the glass, siderails and trim pieces all in before the lockdown bar will rest properly and I can secure the receiver?

LynnInDenver
          Participant
            @lynnindenver

It all works together. That lip inside the lockdown bar isn’t likely to even contact the wood once everything’s together, or if it does it’s not going to provide a significant transfer of force from someone leaning on the bar.

To make it all fit together, you don’t need the glass, although you will need the glass channels. You’ll need a 1/16″ slot in the sides of the cabinet (like you would do for arcade machine t-moulding), the glass channel goes into that like a piece of t-moulding, the siderail goes over that, then the lockdown bar sits on over the siderails. When properly installed, the receiver will pull the lockdown bar tight against the side rails.

On Radiant Silverball, I locked in the receiver too early, and I had to make front panel modifications to get things to lock down right once I got the siderails installed and such, and figured out I’d mounted the receiver too high and it would not only interfere with sliding glass in (vintage Bally receiver, so there’s actually a front lip on it), but it also didn’t pull the lockdown bar tight against the siderails and made the whole thing feel loose.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
            Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
            Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?