Our Build – Radiant Silverball

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

So we’ve been collecting bits and pieces for this build for going on a couple of years now. This past weekend, we finally are putting rubber to the road to get our cabinet built. Right now it’s a 47/32/18 (47″ playfield, old LG, 32″ backglass, and an 18″ for DMD/low Topper). Legs and lockdown bar are vintage Bally pieces, and the coin door my husband is pretty sure came off a 6-player X-men. “Radiant Silverball” is a take on the video game title “Radiant Silvergun” combined with “Silverball Mania”. I’ve already been working on designing side art to go on this machine.

20190331_200642 20190331_200632

The legs had to get repainted – they were originally red (I think they came off old Bally bingo machines), but were all beaten up. We bought eight legs and picked the best four. Between that, stripping the paint, and repainting, we would have honestly been better off buying a brand new set of legs.

The main cab is, as you can tell, specifically made up to emulate the profile of a Gottlieb System 1, since that’s what we already have at hand. With the 47″, obviously we’re doing a vintage width widebody, which is why we bought a vintage lockdown bar and receiver (actually, I just didn’t want to spend the added cost of getting a custom bar made). The lockdown bar was in pretty good shape (and may have come from a HUO machine), but the receiver had obviously seen some hard route years, it was rusty and dirty. I cleaned it up enough to receive the first custom piece – I was able to get Titan Pinball to run off a version of the Bally receiver label that says to “Install 0 Balls” to cover the receiver.

20190331_205347

Still to do on the cabinet body: Get a coin door lock. Add the “plinth” near the back to support the backbox. Build the support frame for the playfield monitor (I’m hopeful I don’t have to “decase” that 9 year old screen, math says it should fit with a little wiggle room) and install the cabinet rails to hold it up. Drill and install buttons and plunger assembly. Get siderails and glass guides to install (I’ll probably have to cut the rails down to fit; there isn’t a lot of room between the sides of the lockdown bar and cabinet, but the cabinet is a little deeper than Solar Ride’s so we have fudge room). And then there’s the backbox, the primary plywood is cut and awaiting assembly, then I need to build the mounting system for the two monitors.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

Nice!  look forward to following along.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Great start! Keep the photos and updates coming please.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Nemo
          Participant
            @nemo

That’s cool, love the “insert 0 balls” decal  :good:   Curious bout the artwork you are creating….

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

And the first update… with “and I’ll form the head” cried out.

20190401_190546

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

Onevox
              Participant
                @rooster

Looks great! Looks like one of those “we got a pinball and realized we couldn’t have them all” builds. That’s what mine was.

Onevox

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

20190402_200254

And the backbox monitors are installed. :yahoo: Yes, I’m actually planning on doing something akin to @TerryRed’s Pinkadia and run toppers over/under the DMD display.

LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

20190403_210550

OK, I need to shim the playfield rails to raise the screen up to where I really want it and level it left to right… but we finally have some life.

Now, I just need to wire up the second Pinscape board and install some buttons… hopefully the connectors I ordered get here a little earlier than Monday…

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Nice build so far and being based on old cab style you can actually put a drink on the glass  and it won’t slide off :)

for IOS and Android

LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

No new photos yet. I did get the button and plunger hardware installed yesterday, and the Launch Ball button arrived today. I did have to 3d print a washer to fit that, the nut on it actually slides through a 30mm hole. I’ll be wiring buttons and leds sometime this weekend, and I already have the Pinscape configured for a minimum button layout.

BTW, pulling the screen back out to install controls was a bit of a pain – I banged my pinky because I managed to drop it once it slipped free, but the monitor survived the experience. It’s a little tricky to get out, partly because I removed the back to buy us some vital clearance so that the flipper buttons install in the correct location. I also have the monitor in “upside down” relative to most people’s builds, because the “normal” player end had the IR receiver located where I needed to cut part of the bezel away.

Odds are good once I get the buttons wired and the monitor back in, it’ll get to sit for at least a few weeks before I tear it back apart to paint the cabinet. Although I suppose I could just stain it black. :P

LynnInDenver
                        Participant
                          @lynnindenver

20190405_211403

And LEDs are all wired up.

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

Was going to say pictures please:)

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

And we have proper liftoff… the machine is now PLAYABLE. :yahoo:

20190406_205951

And for funs, only the second time I can honestly say I’ve seen this table being run on an actual cabinet, the first time was STV’s Middle Earth cab at the Pinball Showdown.

20190406_205542

Plunger works with Nailbuster’s old mouse plunger software, and the Pinscape is capably handling the nudge capabilities. I’m going to start diving into the side of this in terms of dealing with software, media and table POVs.

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Someone has been busy!

Great progress and looking good :good:

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

You know. Once you have it up and running. It is very tempting to take a break and enjoy the work.

LynnInDenver
                                  Participant
                                    @lynnindenver

You know. Once you have it up and running. It is very tempting to take a break and enjoy the work.

And you know? It’s actually a great point to take a break and enjoy the work.  :good: We have a MAME cabinet for me to build next anyway.

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

So, to make a note, do not use female disconnects on traditional flipper leaf switches. I had to wiggle in and solder the things in place, otherwise the right flipper varied from “good” to “numb” to “machine gunning” depending on how you pushed the button (the TV speakers being right there and piping mechanical sounds don’t help). The “designed to solder” lug on the leaf switch prevents the female disconnect from ever getting a good connection.

Scottacus
                                      Participant
                                        @scottacus
                                        MembervipContributor

Nice job on the cab build!

LynnInDenver
                                        Participant
                                          @lynnindenver

Gotten into the Gs for resetting POVs for the cabinet. Also, getting the “aside” project done… may I present, Legacy of the Stick. It lives right next to Radiant Silverball.

Legacy of the Stick

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

WOW! I dont even have 4 friends to play that cab!

Nice work you have been BUSY!

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?