This topic contains 128 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Bladeof 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author
     bord 
    Participant

2.2 is up.

I included a way to switch to the 3 flipper European variant in the script. New lighting, 7.1 sound (thanks, @thalamus!), physics updates, new meshes here and there.

Like 10+

Some users who have liked this topic:

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
     randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

The 3 flipper option is very cool :good:

Currently playing around with FP to VP conversions. Nothing serious just trying to have fun.

1 user thanked author for this post.
     Thalamus 
    Participant
    ContributorMember

What ? The Europeans fucked the game up ? I had no clue that there existed or exists a version without the dreaded “flipper fucked” right pair. That is just wrong wrong wrong B-)   I appreciate however that you’ve added that as an option. And I will try it, but, right now I’m still in shock and lost for words. Really looking forward to give this new runs, but, I’m having hard time understanding how you can do better than the previous release. Crossing my fingers and hope you’re right.

Thank a bunch Bord ! :rose:

arconovum 
    Participant
    MemberContributor

interesting 3rd wheel, some say two’s company, three’s a crowd, but some really like three’s company, it makes it all the more interesting!!!

Bob Albright 
    Participant

Awesome release. Plays super well. Thank you!

The Loafer 
    Participant

Holy ok gonna try this out in a few min.  my mind can’t imagine the possibility of this gem being improved, so new lighting, physics, meshes, wow.  I really appreciate the level of polish you provide on your tables and your willingness to revisit once you learn new techniques, more assets become available, etc.

The Loafer 
    Participant

I tried the latest version:

• Very cool alternative this Euro 3 flipper version. Nothing touches the original and it does make it easier but still, it’s history and worth preserving so I “saved as” and now have a “Paragon Euro version (Bally 1979)” sitting along the regular (YEAH, I SAID 1979! LOL).
    • I did find a bug but it’s probably not your version, maybe it’s VP. For some reason I noticed the playfield doesn’t darken like the rest of the assets when I turn the day/night slider down.  If I turn it completely to the left, I can see a totally dark ball and the “paragon” overlay at the top (to fill the gap) is totally dark but the playfield stays about the same.  I recently upgraded VP exe so it might be a recent bug. I’ll experiment but letting you know in case it’s something at your end. OK, didn’t wait, experimented right now by trying other tables.  Your eight ball deluxe’s day/night slider works fine as well as other tables I tried… except one: G5K’s attack from Mars, it loads, I see the darkened playfield then poof, it clears up same as if I have the slider all the way to the right.  Back to your Paragon, I don’t initially see a darkened playfield, its bright right away, even with the slider all the way to the left.  Interesting, can anyone else duplicate at your end?  I’ll go check VPF in case something like this is mentioned in the VP exe beta thread

STAT 
    Participant
    MemberContributor

Thanks bord :good:
    There is a nice “Story” about the 3 Flipper Version on IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1755

” … The way it was relayed to designers through interpreters was that their players liked to hold the pinball on the flipper, take a drink of beer and brag to other players about the skill shot they were about to shoot. That couldn’t be done with the original Paragon design … “
    The one with the Beer, could be me ;-)

1 user thanked author for this post.
     bord 
    Participant

I did find a bug but it’s probably not your version, maybe it’s VP. For some reason I noticed the playfield doesn’t darken like the rest of the assets when I turn the day/night slider down. If I turn it completely to the left, I can see a totally dark ball and the “paragon” overlay at the top (to fill the gap) is totally dark but the playfield stays about the same. I recently upgraded VP exe so it might be a recent bug. I’ll experiment but letting you know in case it’s something at your end. OK, didn’t wait, experimented right now by trying other tables. Your eight ball deluxe’s day/night slider works fine as well as other tables I tried… except one: G5K’s attack from Mars, it loads, I see the darkened playfield then poof, it clears up same as if I have the slider all the way to the right. Back to your Paragon, I don’t initially see a darkened playfield, its bright right away, even with the slider all the way to the left. Interesting, can anyone else duplicate at your end? I’ll go check VPF in case something like this is mentioned in the VP exe beta thread

Not a bug per se but a byproduct of the lighting method. By pre-rendering the lighting in Blender and placing them on a flasher I get results that I prefer to VPX lighting. I can tonally match GI light color to the other elements that I render and get more realistic falloff and shadows. The cost of that method is less flexibility for end-user modding. G5K is doing something similar. The difference on Paragon is that there isn’t a GI on/off state on the game so GI is always on at startup.

You can still effect light values but it is a little more complicated. Significantly lower the opacity of the flasher called “Shadow” and lower the disable lighting value of an elements you want to darken (i.e. plastics).

By all means weigh in on the benefits/detriments of this lighting approach. Is this a total dealbreaker on a game or a minor annoyance? I really like the benefits as a builder.

The Loafer 
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation, I figured as much.  The table looks great as is, but my own take (and I can’t stress enough I speak for myself) is that I prefer the lights to show off a bit, so a dimmer playfield really allows it to shine.  In saying that, Paragon is one of those games that has outstanding art so I def don’t want it TOTALLY dark because… well it’s Paragon!

It most definitely is not a deal breaker, just a personal preference.  There are a few tables like this (helllloooo Centaur) where the art is so good, you want to look at that playfield and backglass, but sometimes the “night” mode really gives me the older “arcade mood”.  So with some tables, I sometimes just go ahead and change it to brighter/darker room setting for a little while so yeah flexibility is appreciated… but that’s for 98% of the tables, I can certainly live with a few that have lesser flexibility if it means lights and shadows are better I say keep doing what you are doing!   You really produce great looking games. When I was testing this yesterday, I booted up EBD and ended up playing for an hour… up to 2:00am… when I have to be up at 6:00am… ugh.

Thalamus 
    Participant
    ContributorMember

Bord ! You did it !!! :good:

Bladeof 
    Participant

Thanks for table update Bord, it is much appreciated :good:   Question for you or anyone, I know Fast Flips is supposed to be included, but on the update version 2.2 and on 2.1 table when pressing f11 to check left flipper response time it reads between 6-17ms. No changes to script have been made, usesolenoids=2. Is Paragon like Simpsons PP and WPT where Fast Flips is active but does not show the FF response time using f11 or is it not active. Anyone else noticed this.

tedbell 
    Participant

Thank you, Bord! Now I can play this wonderful table in all of its glory!

I have a texture issue which is not unique to your Paragon table, but it does happen to me on this table so I was hoping to get some input on how to fix. Some textures are rendered with a stair-step pattern. I have included my display settings. This only happens on some tables, and just with a few textures.

Attachments:
     bord 
    Participant

I have a texture issue which is not unique to your Paragon table, but it does happen to me on this table so I was hoping to get some input on how to fix. Some textures are rendered with a stair-step pattern. I have included my display settings. This only happens on some tables, and just with a few textures.

Yikes, @tedbell. That looks bad! Have you tried checking Alternative Depth Buffer processing on your card or software vertex processing? Those are both there for troubleshooting but I don’t know much beyond that. Good luck. I’d want that fixed ASAP.

The Loafer 
    Participant

what are your hardware specs?

arconovum 
    Participant
    MemberContributor

@tedbell you have the ‘Max texture dimension’ maxed out (unlimited), try it with lower setting(s).

tedbell 
    Participant

Thanks for the help – I will try to lower dimension size and depth buffer. I am running a AMD RX480 on windows 7

arconovum 
    Participant
    MemberContributor

Thanks for the help – I will try to lower dimension size and depth buffer. I am running a AMD RX480 on windows 7

8G should not be a problem, but drivers may be , if you have the latest try to downgrade , if the inverse is true try to upgrade.
    In AMD catalyst make sure you have no special GPU handling of features, these features must be application controlled only.
    Unfortunately you are in a situation where no common solution is readily known, and you are left with trial and error to resolve it.

tedbell 
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the info – it is very helpful to know that its not a known issue. One last technical question – why do I have to reset DMD for it to show up? It seems like each launch of Paragon, the DMD is sitting behind the table window? Running in windowed desktop mode. Hitting F3 fixes it, but is there a more permanent fix? Probably user error…

Sorry to distract the thread – now back to playing Paragon!

This is definitely a lot harder than the TPA version – I can’t even break 100k!

Jopp 
    Participant

Thank you for the update on this already marvallous vpx version.

Love the artwork, great!  (just finished my all 4K setup so can now see it in it’s full glory :-) )

Thank you all again and great it has SSF now!

My favorite pinball machine?
    Where I can put my name on as G.C....

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2018 VPinBall.com

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account