Pascal Janin System 1 motherboard

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I saw a post from @Thalamus, https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33986&page=3, that reminded me about a question I had.  I bought a Pascal Janin replacement motherboard for my Totem years ago and absolutely love it.  It gives you so many new options, updates and mods to the games.  Thalamus was referencing Sinbad in this post but  I would love to update m Totem table with the same modifications.  Most notably it allows for a skill shot when you first start, adjustable ball save, a really cool lightshow with the insert lights, and about double or triple the dip switch options.  That’s just the beginning besides for circuit protection and replacing 3 old boards with one new one and all the wires.  Just an amazimg option for system one games.  And the same board for all games!

I was wondering if anyone actually knows the guy?

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

There is a few reason why keeping script code in a git repo is awesome. One of them being able to see the difference from the previous version. So, you kind of can see what got changed from the non skillshot version vs the one with it enabled. Extra benefit, it is color coded. https://github.com/sverrewl/vpxtable_scripts/commit/99ef0406bdf1eb91d94c18f87dc48546bb3c7e68#diff-1702957e78ee57c23942ca51fa8ce7bc

For what I understood from @borgdog – there is no change to the rom, so, it has to be scripted. I don’t think features like ball save can be done without modifications to the table itself. But, adding extra “drains” and stuff like that – it might be possible. VP is flexible, and with the creative minds in this forum, I’m sure we could enable these extra features, but, it would also require table updates.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

That’s really interesting, I have had it sitting next to me for years, did the Totem table, and never thought of incorporating it. Thanks.

How was the tournament @Thalamus?  Did you get a chance to play Hardbody much, hope the table helped a little

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

The skill shot was fairly straight forward to add to Sinbad, and the freeplay ‘mod’ I put in Hulk (?) as well.  Would be pretty straight forward with any of the system 1 tables I think and could probably be streamlined more, although they would all have to be custom as the switches are different, and what to use to add the skill shot reward (pts etc) would be different as well.  Adding the other stuff, ball save, light shows etc would be lots more work to integrate.  of course you could just re-script the whole thing like the FP people do, and then you can add whatever you want.

I’m very happy with the Pascal Janin all-in-one boards, have them in all my remaining system 1 machines and his equivalent system 80 board is what is going to run Alien Star.  I don’t use a lot of the features though, decided ball save was too up to date/modern for my tastes, but skill shot is on most of them, and the attract light shows are nice.

I don’t know him but have exchanged a few e-mails with him.

Thalamus
              @thalamus

The tournament on itself went well in that I played better than I’ve done before. Nerves isn’t that much of a issue for me now being that I’ve participated a few times already and have some confidence that I’m not the worlds worst player :)

Well, it to make a long story a bit shorter, had played 4 out of 6 rounds and I was ranked very high. Actually, 2nd of all. Then I was matched by the computer to be grouped with 3 players that are all ranked inside top 5 in the country. Doesn’t help to be on their home turf, playing their local machines in such situations :) But, yeah. They are better players and I actually gave them something to chew on. But, playing an EM like Sea Ray where you get 3 ball house balls doesn’t feel right. That game should not have been in the tournament as it is very open on the left outlane and not really controllable. It was more of a luck of chance than anything else. Needed 15k and had 11k after first ball. Then on the last draw, I was again because of my current position drawn with good players. In the last round I was matched with guys that was on the bubble so to speak. I lost by approx. 200k on Big buck hunter to go into the next days competition. It was all my fault. But again, very close – next time I’ll think before I plunge ;) When you play for many hours, it is actually quite hard to keep the concentration.

What I’ve learned though is that sometime VP gives and sometime it takes away from you. Old Gottlieb tables by BorgDog is almost like owning the machine yourself. New physics like Roth ( and nFozzy + DjRobX etc – fast flips ) have provided us with is much closer to the real machines and if your cab has the right hardware you will be able to train on VP. Most tables however still needs changes in ordet to become as close as these improved tables are. Some actions I’ll do that is related to VP physics automatically that can be dangerous to do on real machines. My way of compensating for a propper drop catch pr. example is pr. example one thing you should not rely on for a real machine.

Oh and. Hardbody, was down – so was Bram Stoker Dracula which I’ve spent extra time putting out strategy for.

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

Ahhh boo on Hardbody.  Well sounds like it was a fun time

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

H-Body and Drac were down? That stinks. What were the hi-lites?

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

The running machines ( from memory ) where : Sea Ray, Firepower, Dipsy Doodle, Sky Jump, Viking, Star Trek ( Bally ), Sinbad, Elektra, TNA, Street Fighter II, Indian Jones ( the good one – williams – hehe ), Pharao, Sopranos, Big Buck Hunter, Tron, Kiss (Stern – wish it was Bally), Jurassic Park and Golden Eye. This is a small, newly started pinball club approx 30 minutes outside of Oslo depending on transport of course.Just a basement, with some great machines and of course awesome pinball freaks like us.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8kcMxLXDVx25ue6eA

Picture taking just before the finals, many had left by then. I’m staying behind with my friend from Trondheim which ended up 2nd.

And this is why Norwegian pinball players isn’t as good as the Swedes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WWJBgjB9AoMN3VvN9

The Swedes play pinball and drink some beers. We, drink beers and play a some pinball.

( I just had to add this quote, and picture, as it was said by one of my friends on the official Norwegian television just this week )

Hi-light ? Dipsy Doodle was more fun than I expected. It played very well, fair and hard. Of course you don’t say no to the latest Elwin’ Jurassic Park. Ok, maybe the game code needs some more work but, still – fun and very nice flow.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

thanks for the pics.  nice setup that basement, planning on a big room in the next house to gather the machines in one spot, hopefully still with open space like that.  figured out this morning while trying to verify tna rules that I currently can’t remove the glass from my tna where it sits, needs to move back about 3 inches which moves the vp cab that’s behind it back 3 inches which means the front door to the house will no longer open all the way.. arrrggg.  who needs a front door anyway right?

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

I thought I was the only one that had a pinball game by my front door.  My wife was wrong…

JR
                        Participant
                          @jfr1

Having a pin blocking the front door is a real statement.  Love that.  Fire Dept. …maybe not so much

Can I circle back for a second – – reading about Thal’s Oslo tourney experience is fun stuff!  Thanks for sharing.  Quite a run up the leader board!  And love the list of classic tables that were there.  Very cool.  …any more pics?

The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

Great thread and nice recap thalamus maybe next tournament you will best those ranked players

pascal boards: I had one in my sinbad, my brother in law has one in his cleopatra .  It’s a fantastic mod, so reliable too.  The best features for me are the skill shot plunge and the high score saves with initials.  Yeah it doesn’t reflect the era but it sure gives you incentive to replay the game when the high score has been bested!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?