PC in cab – case or no case?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Conehead
    Participant
      @conehead

Hello again! Is there any recommendation/”standard” to put your PC in a case while in the cab itself, or is it better for circulation/air flow to just install the motherboard, etc in the open, and perhaps mounted on some risers or something.  I imagine it’s better to leave it open without a case so it’s easier to get to, and then the cab itself really acts as the “case”.

Thoughts?  Thank you!

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

If you’re doing a “full size” PC, you can get a frame meant for benchtesting rigs to help hold the cards upright – video cards expect a case in place as part of the structural support. Since the PC is in the cabinet, it doesn’t need a real case so to speak.

I only stuffed a whole cased PC into mine because it’s a miniITX form factor so it’s already as small as it can get, and it was already built (my old desktop).

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Conehead
        Participant
          @conehead

” video cards expect a case in place as part of the structural support”  <— Thanks for pointing this out!  Based on your input I’ll still get a case to install the parts, but just won’t put the cover on it to allow for air circulation.  Much appreciated!

topper-2k
          Participant
            @topper-2k

Based on your input I’ll still get a case to install the parts, but just won’t put the cover on it to allow for air circulation. Much appreciated!

Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. And I’d kinda arrived at the same place. I might see if I can remove the decorative plastic stuff on the front of the case, try to get it down to something close to a frame.

Conehead
            Participant
              @conehead

Good idea!  I’ll try doing the same.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?