phantom of the opera

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    robwaade
    Participant
      @robwaade

i dont mind taking it apart its just not having good photo smarts and not sure on scanning playfield what i can do randr lives about a half hour away from me maybe he can help me on the phone with ideas how to accomplish it

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

I can help if needed  :good:   :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
        RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

I wish you were near me, as I have a 1.2 Gigapixel (yep that’s 1200 megapixel) scanning camera available to me and I am champing at the bit to do a playfield scan.

Just imagine what could be done with a distortion free, evenly lit, dimensional & colour accurate 1200 megapixel playfield image. ;)

Drybonz
          Participant
            @drybonz

Oo!  Selfie!   B-)

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

Ha, I don’t think I could do anything with an image of that size, maybe my pincab has the power to actually open the file, but not a hard drive big enough to hold it.  It would however be awesome  :good:

Dark
                @dark
                vipMemberContributor

If you scan the plastics I’ll make them into primitive plastics for you if no one else will.

Also I’m not terrible familiar with the table but there’s an organ model or something with a mechanical door or something that probably needs doing for that table.

3dcreation

robwaade
                Participant
                  @robwaade

Organ door pics20170228_100836
                  20170228_100915
                  20170228_101105
                  20170228_101131

robwaade
                  Participant
                    @robwaade

first time figuring out posting pictures maybe not best quality can do more or videos

Dark
                      @dark
                      vipMemberContributor

Hey rob, thanks for posting the pics, looks like a fairly simple planar object (box-like), so what will be needed for that for best results will be square photos of each decal, preferably without the red lighting.

Below you can see I (quickly) did some photoshop trickery to make this image square but it is subject to some distortion the more I have to warp and skew it into place.  So for best results you want to try to get flat surfaces like this facing the camera in such a way so that it ends up looking square like the image below.

PhotoFixExample

The easiest way for me to explain 3D UV texture mapping is just imagine you bought a model kit and you put it all together and the final touches are the decals, the stickers.  In order for the decals to apply to the surfaces properly they need to be the same or similar shape.  For the ramp decals that run along the ramp floors you may need to take a bunch of pics from a top view so they can be pieced together without as much perspective, if the photo of the decal doesn’t actually match the shape of the 3D mesh ramps it will be very difficult to squeeze it in without distortion.

3dcreation

robwaade
                      Participant
                        @robwaade

Does it matter i think it might be more rectangle than square i can check it closer when i get home with small ends front to back of organ if that makes sense how im explaining it its looks like a bike jump from sides and front when it opens the top line left to right keeps its normal height front lifts up maybe about 3 inches range if that helps

Drybonz
                        Participant
                          @drybonz

When he says square, he means so that the image is not a skewed perspective.  Make sure you shoot it from directly over top, so the image is not at an angle.

Also… if you are getting glare on shiny parts, you should be able to use some kind  of a black backdrop behind the camera to reduce that.

Dark
                            @dark
                            vipMemberContributor

When I say square I mean like, do this when framing a pic:

I just mean that you want what ever the main subject is to be framed in such a way that it’s minimising any perspective, if it’s something square or rectangular it should have right angles in the photo as well.  The pics you took of the organ are all on various angles which is fine for reference but not ideal for sourcing texture maps.

3dcreation

robwaade
                            Participant
                              @robwaade

not a great photo mind on taking pics just took em quick to show you organ on game

Drybonz
                              Participant
                                @drybonz

You can do eet!    :good:

Dark
                                  @dark
                                  vipMemberContributor

not a great photo mind on taking pics just took em quick to show you organ on game

Yeah I realise you posted them because I asked about it,  I just want to get the point across so you can get lots of good useful pics.  Another thing that can be useful is pictures with a measuring tape/stick/ruler that show ramp measurements at various heights, it can really help improve the accuracy of ramps.

3dcreation

robwaade
                                  Participant
                                    @robwaade

One issue i have is bad lighting not sure how to keep from getting glare if i dim lights then i need a flash then that is bad and to see stuff i need to have game lights on or a smaller light tried more pics tonight with a smaller light i either get glare or not enough light to get a good enough picture not a photo thinking person any suggestions im putting pictures of room its in if that helps20170228_224515
                                    20170228_224440
                                    20170228_224232
                                    20170228_223501

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

get a lamp for light. i use a table lamp or 2 for light when taking pictures

********************************************************
                                      Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                      for IOS and Android

********************************************************

robwaade
                                      Participant
                                        @robwaade

ive tried its the glare if its  close enough to get good light without a flash. and when i move light where theres no glare then its not enough light its in the corner of room and a few feet in front i have theater seat riser.not sure where to place lights :mail:

robwaade
                                        Participant
                                          @robwaade

hey dark i was thinking about showing measurements with a ruler im having issues with lighting randr gave me a good idea i just am having glare or not enough light i posted pics of room its in if that helps thanks sorry for not being more on the ball in the photo world i leave pictures to wife and shes not very photo smart either with lighting how to achieve whats needed let me know if you come up with something :mail:

Dark
                                            @dark
                                            vipMemberContributor

You have to try to position lights at the sides off to an angle of the subject to avoid glare, it can be tricky for sure.  Camera flash will pretty much always produce glare because light source is coming from pov, it’s all shiny plastics.  It’s probably going to require some trial and error on your part, maybe buy an extra tripod to hold a light or use clamps maybe?  You just have to think of it as a fun learning experience, just another extension of the hobby! :P

Take your time to figure things out, I’m in no hurry, I’ve got lots keeping me busy but I’ll be following this thread.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?