Phurba ornate dagger 3D toy from “The Shadow” Bally 1994 by Dark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dark
      @dark
      vipMemberContributor

https://vpinball.com/?post_type=cmdm_page&p=168506

Phurba ornate dagger 3D toy from “The Shadow” Bally 1994 by Dark

Resource photos provided by: Bord

See the full WIP project here:  https://vpinball.com/bb_project/the-shadow-3d-toys-wip/

This model is free to use any way you like however it is not to be re-distributed or used in any commercial product!

A high poly sculpt was created in ZBrush and the details were projected onto an optimized low poly mesh with the use of projection mapping in 3dsmax.  I separated the mesh into a few parts to make baking easier/cleaner and then recombined all the textures and mesh’s into one for the final.

Most of the maps were rendered at 4096×4096 with high quality render settings then downsized to 2048×2048.  Considering the size it will end up being on the table I recommend the textures should be downsized to at least 1024×1024.

The ‘dagger’ lower portion of the mesh does not render correctly in VPX using tangent normal maps so I made two versions, one version is a single mesh and the other has the lower dagger portion separated to provide more compatibility.  What you can do is either not apply the normal map to the lower portion or use the XYZ normal map.  Since the final size on the table is fairly small, it’s likely hard to notice much of visual difference regardless of what you decide.

Local XYZ normal orientation is X+ and Y+ (blender/vpx orientation)  In VPX “Object space” must be enabled to work correctly.

I also rendered ambient occlusion maps (AO) despite VP not supporting them at this time, perhaps we can use them in the future.

The table template contains both whole and split mesh using a few different combinations of the normal map applications.

3dcreation

7 users thanked author for this post.
      Dark
        @dark
        vipMemberContributor

3dcreation

4 users thanked author for this post.
        randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Great stuff as always dark!!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
          robertms
          Participant
            @mophead

@dark great job on the dagger, no surprise there B-) . BTW thanks for posting these Sketchfab previews, very cool to be able to examine your impeccable work from all angles :good:

flstclasic
            Participant
              @flstclasic

Nice!

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

As always. Job well done. Thank you very much @Dark for not forgetting your VP buddies. A while back I remember I was really scared when you announced that you would be focusing on something else. And here you are – making awesome work for us again. :heart:

I just hope I can take you up on the “promise” that @bord will do his magic for this table some day ;)

Dark
                  @dark
                  vipMemberContributor

As always. Job well done. Thank you very much @Dark for not forgetting your VP buddies. A while back I remember I was really scared when you announced that you would be focusing on something else. And here you are – making awesome work for us again. :heart:

I just hope I can take you up on the “promise” that @bord will do his magic for this table some day ;)

I’ll be slipping back in and out of vp retirement for years to come I suspect.  Making models for pinballs is always an easy way for me to pick it back up.  It’s nice to see the models end up actually serving a purpose but a problem I have with making pinball toys is that even if I make it a 100% accurate photo realistic recreation of a toy it still is just a cheap looking mass produced toy more often than not.  As I said in the hobbies thread, these things seem to go in cycles for me, when I gather enough ambition I’ll try to take on a more challenging project.  The last time I retired from VP I ended up making a high poly sculpt of an orc that I optimized and made into a game quality mesh.  I spent a long time trying to rig the character for animation but I struggle with character rigging and it ended up that the overly muscular orc I made was extra challenging to rig.  I could get it moving fairly decent but the complicated shoulder rigging just killed me.  The model itself looked really good with a level of detail that you could observe pours on skin.  I spent a really long time doing research and working on that orc project, doing many things over and over until I got them right.  So while that project had many successes, the failure to see it rigged and complete killed my enthusiasm for a while and I ended up just taking a break from 3D for a while to make time to play some online games with some friends.   Fast forward a bit and I find myself with an urge to get back into it and here we are once more,  I have free time to work on this stuff right now (but not too much longer) so I’ve tried to make the most of it.

3dcreation

Dark
                    @dark
                    vipMemberContributor

@dark great job on the dagger, no surprise there B-) . BTW thanks for posting these Sketchfab previews, very cool to be able to examine your impeccable work from all angles :good:

There’s a lot of options you can play with in the ‘model inspector’ as well.

3dcreation

Ben Logan2
                    Participant
                      @benlogan2

Beautiful model, Dark! Thanks so much for including the 3D viewer window with your posts, Always a treat to give these a spin. Thanks also for the update on your life as it relates to 3D modeling. Glad to hear you’re actually taking some time to play games with friends, You’re such a creative dynamo, it probably takes discipline for you to step back and just play! It’s good for he creative spirit though, right?

Thanks again, Dark. Much respect.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?