PinballX not letting VPX directB2S backglass display

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    walamab
    Participant
      @walamab
      MemberContributor

I’ve tried posting this problem on the PinballX forums with no luck or solution so I thought I’d try here. When I start a VPX table from Pinball X it will often not display the B2S backglass image. I say often because if the VPX table I want is already in the “select” position when PinballX opens, I can start it and the backglass will display and the table plays fine. Other times the backglass will be displayed but the table will take forever to load and then plays VERY laggy and is unplayable. Most of the time the backglasses just won’t display at all. The tables play fine without the backglass but its just not the same.

I am using the term display rather than load because DOF works just fine regardless of what gets shown on teh display. There just simply isn’t a backglass image on my backglass monitor.

I’ve tried every permutation of settings I can think of and have even tried using the taskkill command in the before start and after exit options of PinballX thinking the problem could be related to PinballX’s use of B2S for its backglass display and having multiple instances of the B2S program running simultaneously.

None of this seems to help.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to work around it? If so, can you please share how?

Thanks in advance!

Walamab
      Table Developer Wannabe and general arcade geek!

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Is this other system in pbx? Is system type selected visual pinball? Are you using exclusive full screen? Is pbx, vp, b2s, pinmame all set as run as admin?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

I think TerryRed (the pinkadia guy) posted about this problem quite a bit.  I’m not sure if he ever resolved it, but maybe he can jump in here and let you know what happened.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

Are the b2s starting in exe mode?

walamab
            Participant
              @walamab
              MemberContributor

Is this other system in pbx? Is system type selected visual pinball? Are you using exclusive full screen? Is pbx, vp, b2s, pinmame all set as run as admin?

Yes I am using “Other System” in PBX. I’m running VP9, PM5 and VPX on my cabinet, The system type is indeed visual pinball and I am running in exclusive full screen (I think…I’ll double check). All of the components are set to run as admin (that’s the first thing I tried).

Are the b2s starting in exe mode?

I’ve tried changing this setting and seems to have no effect.

Thanks for help!

Walamab
              Table Developer Wannabe and general arcade geek!

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

I do not run in exclusive full screen but did try it. Seems great but until it “works” better I’m running windowed so I’m not much help. It seems a timing issue to me for backglasses that are extremely large in size so maybe try making a backglass smaller or add delay to start of “alt-tab” so pinballx has time for it to load seems to be the problem. i would bet tom speirs is looking into a fix for pbx he is very good at making stuff work how we need it to work

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                  @terryred
                  MemberContributorModerator

Try alt-tabbing to be sure that the dB2s file is loaded but is maybe hidden.

When I had VPX running in windowed fullscreen, I had no problems at all with dB2s files, or anything else for that matter. I however got fed up with VPX occasional stuttering. (GTX 960, i5 2500K is more than enough for VPX!) Being a long time PC Gamer, I knew this issue was related to windowed fullscreen (which is the devil in PC Gaming), which has even more problems when running along side other programs (like B2S server / dB2s files).

So I got the VP10 beta 2 newest release which has support for exclusive fullscreen (finally). Now VPX ran buttery smooth and perfect all maxed out. (vsync enabled in VPX and double check the table options to be sure they are the same, NVidia control panel vsync = application controlled).

After getting that running, I was now having issues with not getting a lot of dB2s files to load / display, “only” when launched from PBX. They all worked fine when being launched from VPX directly outside of Pinball X while also using exclusive full screen. I tried having B2S enabled in PBX with no change. I also tried changing PBX to windowed full screen and exclusive full screen with no change.

So for me, I finally tried setting up VPX as an “other” system that is “custom”… NOT visual pinball related.  This got EVERY dB2s file to finally load and display (when launched from PBX) except for Monster Bash, Walking Dead, and Demolition Man out of the 45 VPX tables I have.

However, sometimes at this point you may find that some backglasses will take focus away from VPX after being loaded. I find I have to enable the built in Alt-tab fix in VP10 beta 2 that will wait a specified number of seconds and then cycle between the backglass and back to the playfield, in order to get VPX in focus.

It may not be as “clean” looking when loading, but it solves all of the annoying stuttering from VPX.

I also have my VP9,PM5, and VPX as separate systems. I have never used the “alternate exe” function of PBX. Could that cause an issue?

I have VPX,VP9,PM5, TPA, PFX2 and MAME all as “other” “custom” systems in PBX. This got around all the problems I had with getting other things to run like dmdext, and DOFFx2. The cause of the issues was from the “hidden” support of keystrokes / menu navigation that PBX does for each system. Nothing wrong with that (Tom’s great at trying to help with that stuff), but for me it caused too many issues.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Jesperpark
                  Participant
                    @jesperpark

So this is what i was having problems and why I went away from true Fullscreen.  I have noticed like Terry Monster bash is 1 of my non loading back glasses.  Also a strange one, Sliderpoints Metallica Premium monsters will load, but if i try the 4k version the back glass will not load when using true fullscreen.  I have VP10 in the “other” section of pinballx, also file matching in pinballx is turned off.  The error i get is (backglass can’t be found please rename etc)  but if in windowed fullscreen, the backglass loads right up.  Any suggestions?  I don’t use pinballx unless someone is coming over, but it’s annoying as heck

TerryRed
                      @terryred
                      MemberContributorModerator

So this is what i was having problems and why I went away from true Fullscreen. I have noticed like Terry Monster bash is 1 of my non loading back glasses. Also a strange one, Sliderpoints Metallica Premium monsters will load, but if i try the 4k version the back glass will not load when using true fullscreen. I have VP10 in the “other” section of pinballx, also file matching in pinballx is turned off. The error i get is (backglass can’t be found please rename etc) but if in windowed fullscreen, the backglass loads right up. Any suggestions? I don’t use pinballx unless someone is coming over, but it’s annoying as heck

Use Westworld’s updated B2S Server to be able to use a fix for this issue. Just read my post in this page:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2869-b2s-server-new-feature-aspect-ratio/

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Jesperpark
                      Participant
                        @jesperpark

Well that’s awesome!!!  Thanks Terry

Did not realize i was so far behind i was still on 2.31 :whistle:

The upgrade seems to of solved my issue, will take a look at the new server release as well.  I saw that topic and never got around to reading it (Anyone know how to do the facepalm emoji?  I need that right about now)

Queniart
                        Participant
                          @queniart62

Hello I’m annoying with the display the how to do to disable them IMG_20190407_171723thank you

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

@queniart62 the dmd display? or b2s? for dmd i think its F1 during game and uncheck external dmd if you have real dmd. otherwise if your dmd is lcd screen you can rightclick backglass and hide it.

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Hot damn. It’s Algar. Didn’t think anyone played that game. It seems to be the only game that the youtuber’ that shows what exists in our community hasn’t shown yet ;)

I don’t know how this happened to you but, you could do something like this. Just mark everything. Then use arrow keys ( will be a bit slow ) and move the away. Then save and you will not be bothered with them again. Thank you for playing Algar :whistle:

move_background_awaymove_background_away2

Mark70
                              Participant
                                @mark70

Or look in the table script and change hidden=0 to hidden=1  (I’m not at the cab right now, but should be like that)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?