PinDMDv3 with future pinball not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jbitonti
    Participant
      @jbitonti

I’ve got pinballfx3 working perfect with my pinDMD in pinup popper however it does not work with my future pinball.

Need to confirm: Does pinup popper still require the opengl32.dll and the pindmd.dll ? : Can they be put into the BAM folder or do they have to go where futurepinball.exe is? (tired both neither seem to work)

I’ve tried with and without the .ini file and notice works better loading without it: Still doesn’t work

With pinballX I just dropped those files in and everything worked great.

Any direction for pinup popper? (Also during the menu I do have dmd working for all games) Just when launching future pinball it is blank.

Thoughts?

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

I’ve got pinballfx3 working perfect with my pinDMD in pinup popper however it does not work with my future pinball.

Need to confirm: Does pinup popper still require the opengl32.dll and the pindmd.dll ? : Can they be put into the BAM folder or do they have to go where futurepinball.exe is? (tired both neither seem to work)

I’ve tried with and without the .ini file and notice works better loading without it: Still doesn’t work

With pinballX I just dropped those files in and everything worked great.

Any direction for pinup popper? (Also during the menu I do have dmd working for all games) Just when launching future pinball it is blank.

Thoughts?

I assume you are talking about using FPIntercept?

Can you get it to work outside of Popper without a front-end using a batch file or command? If so, then you would use those same BAT script commands in Popper when you launch the FP table.

I know others use it… I “think” @randr uses PinDMD3 with FP, but not sure.

Nothing new or special for Popper to run anything. It’s just using batch commands.

I use FutureDMD with Popper no problem.

jbitonti
        Participant
          @jbitonti

Looking like I’m having issues with the opengl32.dll file. Known issue as per other forum posts but only resolution is to add the .ini file. The opengl32.dll  is not happy with future pinball. I have the pindmd.dll in future pinball folder as well as a pindmd.ini file however it’s causing future pinball not to open. Guessing thats where my problems exists for everything. Not too many answers other then adding the .ini file which I added already. Not sure if I should try and rebuild future pinball from scratch or not…

jbitonti
          Participant
            @jbitonti

Small update – pindmd.log is created but nothing inside….

Any thoughts? I even tried different versions of future pinball (without the water marks) not change.

jbitonti
            Participant
              @jbitonti

Another update:

I uninstalled future pinball and BAM. Re-installed future pinball with BAM, then rebooted the computer. Still same issue.

I then took the pindmd.ini file and took out any space at the front of the text that I downloaded from pindmd.com. Not sure why space got added in the front of each line but that seemed to work with the uninstall and reinstall. Who knows…. If your having issues like some out there I strongly suggest an uninstall and reinstall and then double check that .ini file.

I’ve got pindmd working great with BAM. However…

WHAT’S NOT WORKING – I can not get pindmd3 to work with pinup popper. Going to do some more playing around this week but if anyone has suggestion please let me know. pindmd3 works 50% of the time with fx3 but its sometimes a real hit or miss.

Suggestions / things to try?

Therake2010
              Participant
                @therake2010

I have my Pindmd3 working with future pinball.  Only problem I have is when I exit out of a table and load a new one the last thing on the dmd is frozen on there. Doesn’t switch to the new table. Thanks

GarageMakerGuy
                Participant
                  @garagemakerguy

Ugh…why is getting a real DMD display to work reliably with all emulators such a pain?

Works great with VPX every time.

Kind of works with FX3 (when launched with PinUp)

Had it working once with Future Pinball but that was it.

Although I really like the LCD emulated DMD, I am a purist and love the look of a real DMD (using PinDMDv3).

If I ever figure this out and get it working reliably, I will post my solution.

Cheers,

Jeff (Garage Maker Guy)

TerryRed
                    @terryred
                    MemberContributorModerator

Well…. since “new” real pinball tables use an LCD monitor now… using one in your cabinet would be considered “pure” as well… and you benefit from having a kickass display for FP PinEvent tables. :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    GarageMakerGuy
                    Participant
                      @garagemakerguy

Terry, Thanks for the reply and I apologize for the topic change below but maybe it will help some people not waste $$$ and a lot of time on DMD displays.

I agree with your reply. However, I recently spent ~$6000 on (2) WPC-style Widebody Virtual Pinball Cabinets – Fully Trimmed from VirtuaPin and ~$540 of that was for (2) PinDMD3 displays. I’m building one for my brother and one for myself. I had one of the displays shipped to me so I could work on getting the software configured while waiting for Paul at VirtuaPin to get the cabinets built (which I ordered in May and they are still “Queued for production” but I knew it would take a long time based on his backlog).

Although I love the look of the real DMD display it is turning out to be a major pain and it will never be able to render the amazing eye candy that you and several others have put together. Thanks for all your hard work and taking the time to share with everyone. The videos and documentation that you and Nailbuster put together helped me tremendously.

I will reach out to Paul at VirtuaPin and try to change my order. This may be difficult if he has already cut the speaker panels and done the custom printed acrylic.

The LCD DMD screen that Paul has available is 1366 x 768 (720P) (https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=254&zenid=7s4f1jc1f77g2ilrmk1dqq1s46)

I think this will work fine.

Is that high enough resolution for the videos? Is there something else you would recommend?

Cheers,

Jeff (Garage Maker Guy)

Chriss4198
                      Participant
                        @chriss4198

Having same problem with FP and FX3/2 as well. Any new developments? Tried Freezy’s  update to now avail… heard rolling back to earlier version helped, but can’t find and earlier version.

GarageMakerGuy
                        Participant
                          @garagemakerguy

So here’s where I am at with the “real DMD” dilemma:

Preface: I am not trying to offend anyone so please don’t take any of the following personally or negatively. This is only out of frustration and my attempt and getting a “real” solution for my “real” DMD configuration.

1.) I think the biggest problem is that there are too many DMD solutions/drivers that are accessible (and multiple versions of each):

a.) pinDMD

b.) UltraDMD

c.) Freezy DMD

d.) Flex DMD

e.) XDMD

f.) pupDMD

2.) There is no comprehensive documentation available (that I can find) that covers how to make this work for all of the emulators. A troubleshooting guide at this level would also be very helpful.

3.) User error is always about %85 of the problem (myself included) and after following the setup for each emulator which results in multiple instances of the DMD dll and ini files located in different directories of your “Gaming Directory Structure”, this is problematic.

4.) At one point I found mention that the PinDMDv3 firmware needed to be updated but I’ve heard mixed results and actually finding the update requires some form of secret handshake where you have to email someone with the serial number of your authentic PinDMD display and if you are deemed worthy you might get the update (aka: difficult to find). Flashing the firmware with no way back does not appeal to me and why this is not available on the manufacturers sit is a little disappointing.

I’ getting tired of typing and will come back to this and add some more info in a bit.

Cheers,

Jeff (Garage Maker Guy)

Chriss4198
                          Participant
                            @chriss4198

Pindmd firmware updates are pretty darn easy. Russ is great. Just slide him an email with the info, and he sends you the update. I think that might be my problem as well. I can’t get either fx3/2 or future pinball to work short of 1 fx3 table full screen, and 1 at 1/4 screen. I’ve tried nailbuster’s script edits, and installed 3 of those fixes. So beyond appreciative of the fact that all of you take the time and effort to even offer up these…

GarageMakerGuy
                            Participant
                              @garagemakerguy

Fullscreen Cabinet Mode (2) monitors and (1) PinDMDv3

VPX & PinDMDv3:

I have no problem with VPX (standalone or launched from PinUp) with the intermittent exception of certain UltraDMD games i.e. America’s Most Haunted where it initially works perfectly but over time the PinDMDv3 resets and goes back to the default startup screen (Pinup can’t even display the “Pinup Popper” default screen on the DMD until it is restarted). This is the behavior I have seen with other UltraDMD tables i.e Diablo (now using FlexDMD which seems better but it eventually happens).

At one point it looked like the PinDMDv3 display has an overflow, closes the connection, and simply resets because it can’t handle it and the communications to COM 3 are done until you exit out of VPX and restart. This might be addressed in the firmware update (btw: how do I get Russ’ info so I can get the update?)

Deleting the “FlexDMD.log” and relaunching the table miraculously resulted in the first full game of an Ultra DMD table without the PinDMDv3 resetting. Don’t know if this a long term fix or I just happened to get lucky.

FX3 & PinDMDv3:

After using Nailbusters solution: “https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pupdmd_fx3”, when I launch an FX3 table from the Pinup menu it works fine as long as I exit back to the Pinup menu before selecting another game (usually).

I have not been able to get the PinDMDv3 working reliably with FX3 standalone (aka: not being launched from Pinup Player).

Future Pinball & PinDMD3:

I don’t think I have ever had this working. If I did it was probably a dream and didn’t really happen…lol

I’m almost certain this is mostly an error on my part with the configuration but I have no reference point to a working configuration because I’ve never had one.

I don’t want to give up on the real DMD because it has such a cool factor and just looks amazing (when it works).

Cheers,

Jeff (Garage Maker Guy)

Chriss4198
                              Participant
                                @chriss4198

I was so excited as this evening as I got two fx3 tables to run DMD straight out of the shoot perfectly. Was hoping 3rd time was a charm but alas it stopped. All my tweeting has caused the DMD to pop on playing field for a few of the games. Figure I will quit while I am ahead. Now I just need to figure out how to get the fx2/3 DMD back on he backglass. I suck at math…lol

cheers

Chriss4198
                                Participant
                                  @chriss4198

Hop of here to request the firmware update…

https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/issues/119

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?