PinEvent: DOF, MX, PUP, SSF, PUPDMD for Future Pinball

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

I could solve the problem. I tried lucky´s dmddevice.dll. Now Pinevent runs fine.

But now I will get soundstutter with VPX. I had this problem before, when I tried to use luckys dll (in some vpx-games it works faster with my pin2dmd). I already asked lucky himself about this problem, but he could not help me and told me that it is a performance problem.

Is it possible to use different dmddevice.dll for the different pinball-programs (vpx, fp)? Could that be changed with the frontend?

You can have your front end swap file…but that may get messy and cause problems.

Your other option is simply NOT use the “real” pup DMD support at all.

You could choose another pup-pack option that displays the FullDMD on the pup BG (Jaws would need to use LCD DMD on the BG)… and then you can just use FP Intercept for the FP DMD like normal…. then you get the best of both worlds.

Some others have done this and it works really well.

TerryRed
        @terryred

I could solve the problem. I tried lucky´s dmddevice.dll. Now Pinevent runs fine.

But now I will get soundstutter with VPX. I had this problem before, when I tried to use luckys dll (in some vpx-games it works faster with my pin2dmd). I already asked lucky himself about this problem, but he could not help me and told me that it is a performance problem.

Is it possible to use different dmddevice.dll for the different pinball-programs (vpx, fp)? Could that be changed with the frontend?

You can have your front end swap file…but that may get messy and cause problems.

You could choose another pup-pack option that displays the FullDMD on the pup BG (Jaws would need to use LCD DMD on the BG)… and then you can just use FP Intercept for the FP DMD like normal…. then you get the best of both worlds.

TerryRed
          @terryred

• choose pupdmddrivertype = 2
          • choose another pup-pack option that displays the FullDMD on the pup BG
          • then you can just use FP Intercept for the FP DMD like normal…. then you get the best of both worlds.
          • Jaws is the only table that would need to use LCD DMD on the BG with PinEvent Custom Settings on the table script to allow it to use pupdmddrivertype = 0

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by TerryRed.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by TerryRed.
          Adolar
          Participant
            @adolar

Thanks Terry for these ideas.

I will try both and see, what fits best.

“You can have your front end swap file…”

Could you tell me how I could do this???? With a batch file? But how?

Adolar
            Participant
              @adolar

Mission accomplished. I found that xcopy command.

I will see, if that makes it happen.

junktape
              Participant
                @junktape

OMG so when I saw all the PinEvent files had been updated I immediately started to download and update the tables and pup packs until basic human logic suddenly entered my head and I decided to check the thread/changelog.   I see now these were only reposted so Terry could add his disclaimer — and yes I’m sorry its something he/you had to do!!!

I would like to add myself to the many people who you have brought into this hobby.  I discovered Terry and Nailbuster’s youtube channels about five months ago and have completely embraced the hobby and I’m not sure I would have had the fortitude if not for their amazing tutorials and for forums like Vpinball.

THANK YOU so truly it made 2020 so much more bearable and reunited me with a longtime passion (I’d had to sell off my physical pins many years ago.)

All the best and looking forward to future releases!

Dan Milano

LA, CA

That's all folks!

TerryRed
                  @terryred

New FAKE Monitor option for Desktop / VR users and PUPStream!

• you “may” be able to install a “fake monitor” driver that will act just like a normal 1920×1080 monitor (seen only by Windows, not your nvidia / amd gpu)
                  • this works the same way as a dummy monitor plug would
                  • nothing fancy… just run a BAT file to install the drivers
                  • display the PinEvent pup-pack on this fake monitor
                  • enable PUPStream
                  • now you can run FP in fullscreen and see the pup-pack on your desktop or in VR!
                  • you may need to re-enable to fake monitor on reboot of your PC (instructions included show command needed)

Download the “fake” monitor driver installer here:

https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3030

How to use PUP Stream with no extra monitor to display the Pup-pack:

(for single screen desktop and vr users)

• be sure you have either a dummy plug, or “fake” monitor setup
                  • in pup settings, you can use “Quick Position” to automatically size and position the “Game Select” pup display on your new fake monitor
                  • now make sure the pup-pack is using the “Desktop PuPStream” option (run the BAT file in the pup-pack folder)
                  • be sure your monitors are set to 100% text scaling
                  • make sure you have PUPStream enabled in PinEvent_Settings.vbs
                  • I would recommend only enabling the FullDMD in PUPStream options by default, as streaming more than one thing from the same monitor may cut your stream fps in half
                  • there is no need to stream the pup Backglass on any table except for Jaws. You can use custom settings in the table script for Jaws to enable both FullDMD and BG
                  • DO NOT run a “PuP-Packs on Top” pupinit.bat file in the pup-pack folder!
                  • run FP in fullscreen (not windowed or forced borderless windowed)
                  • when the table starts up, after about 6 seconds you should see the PinEvent pup-pack appear in the places you have enabled
                  1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Yardley
                  Participant
                    @yardley

Hi all, I’m having trouble getting DOF to work. I have R3++ installed and working with Visual Pinball. I’m running the PinEvent Star Wars DSA table for FP in debug mode and it says “DOF is not installed or detected”. I’ve tried setting FPLoader.exe to run as admin but that didn’t help. Any ideas?

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Hi all, I’m having trouble getting DOF to work. I have R3++ installed and working with Visual Pinball. I’m running the PinEvent Star Wars DSA table for FP in debug mode and it says “DOF is not installed or detected”. I’ve tried setting FPLoader.exe to run as admin but that didn’t help. Any ideas?

If you are getting that error… then something on your system is blocking DOF from FP (or the other way around).

Try disabling Windows Defender. Maybe your UAC settings are affecting it as well.

Yardley
                      Participant
                        @yardley

If you are getting that error… then something on your system is blocking DOF from FP (or the other way around).

Try disabling Windows Defender. Maybe your UAC settings are affecting it as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Terry, I’ve got UAC set to never notify and Defender is off.

Yardley
                        Participant
                          @yardley

I got it working! I had to register DOF again for some reason. AWESOME! I just installed F14, any idea why the PF screen isn’t displaying the video?

Attachments:
                          TerryRed
                            @terryred

I got it working! I had to register DOF again for some reason. AWESOME! I just installed F14, any idea why the PF screen isn’t displaying the video?

Are you running the pup-pack? Do you have PUP Stream enabled?

If yes to both… what setup are you using?

The pup-pack must be displayed on a monitor that is in landscape orientation and connected to your video card, not a motherboard using internal GPU like intel.

Yardley
                            Participant
                              @yardley

The pup-pack must be displayed on a monitor that is in landscape orientation and connected to your video card, not a motherboard using internal GPU like intel.

Yes I’m running the pup and have pup stream enabled. I have a 3 screen setup, using Option 0 – DMD, Backglass.bat. All of my monitors are in landscape and connected to my video card. The rest of the pup-pack looks good.

Does it have anything to do with needing to make a change in the PinUpPlayer config displays?

TerryRed
                                @terryred

Yes I’m running the pup and have pup stream enabled. I have a 3 screen setup, using Option 0 – DMD, Backglass.bat. All of my monitors are in landscape and connected to my video card. The rest of the pup-pack looks good.

Does it have anything to do with needing to make a change in the PinUpPlayer config displays?

It has to do with PUPStream is setup to use FullDMD.

Since you are not running a FullDMD setup, then that pup display is not detected and that’s why you don’t see anything.

With a LCD DMD 4:1 ratiosetup… there’s not too much benefit to using pup stream as the 4:1 DMD display will look all stretched.

That said, you can change the PUP Stream settings (in PinEvent_Settings.vbs) to use any “window” you want to stream from. So you can change any PUPSCREEN5 options to PUPSCREEN1 and that “should” display the DMD. Keep in mind, you are displaying a 4:1 ratio display on a 16×9 ratio display on the playfield…. so it won’t look great and will be all stretched.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                Yardley
                                Participant
                                  @yardley

Hmm, setting it to PUPSCREEN1 didn’t work but that’s alright, if it’s going to look stretched fuggedaboutit. Thanks!

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

Hmm, setting it to PUPSCREEN1 didn’t work but that’s alright, if it’s going to look stretched fuggedaboutit. Thanks!

Just be sure to disable it if not using it. It’s more a benefit to desktop and VR users.

Yardley
                                    Participant
                                      @yardley

Hey Terry, getting there with the FP set up! I’ve been testing with 3 different tables: Star Wars DSA (PinEvent), Pink Floyd (DOFLinx) and Blade Runner (Ultimate Pro) and have them all working great directly trough FP/BAM. Today I started incorporating everything into Popper.  I’ve been following your tutorials to the letter but the Popper integration didn’t go so well.

I have two issues, first, when exiting the tables, Popper loses focus and only displays the T-ARC over my Windows desktop. Doesn’t happen all the time, but it only happens with FP (not VP or FX3). Once it happens it stays that way even if I launch other tables and the only way to get back to normal is to restart Popper. Not sure if this is related but my playfield flashes quite a bit while launching a table and often goes completely white not displaying the loading bar until the table finally loads.

Second issue is something keeps crashing when I exit a PinEvent table. I get an unhandled exception error. I found one of your posts on another thread where you mentioned having some crashing issues as well, but you posted a slightly different script for Popper than the one on this guide. Are you still getting crashes yourself?

Wanted to share some information for anyone else reading this in the future. I know you mentioned that killing the DOFLinx process through the exit script is not necessary, but for me, doing that and starting DOFLinx on every table launch is much more stable. I found out the hard way that if your FP_LINK_WAIT_TIME is long and you exit a non-DOFLinx table too quickly, the timer continues even if you start another table, and then your solenoids don’t work for the next table even if it has DOFLinx support. I guess this is only a problem if you’re jumping around tables too quickly, but thought I’d share since it might save someone the troubleshooting time if they run into this.

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Yes…whatever method works to keep DOFLinx from running / enabling itself for PinEvent is good..like as you said… it can try to detect the FPLink and cause problems for PinEvent and other FP tables that aren’t using it if you enter exit tables too quickly,etc.

If you have crashing problems from PinEvent… disable PUPStream and see if that helps.

Sometimes, having Defender enabled or admin set / not set for FP or Popper may cause issues. So if FP is run as Admin, and Popper isn’t… you may have crashes,etc. The ideal is not need to set anything to admin at all… but for some people their Windows security / anti-virus settings may not allow that… and why it can be confusing to get everything working correctly.

pondpoint
                                        Participant
                                          @pondpoint

Hi got a problem with future pinball

Normal future pinball tables work great and so do virtual tables the problem is with pinevent tables. They work fine until i install the pup packs for them then it crashes the table and the displays stay on screens. i have 3 screen for my cabinet lcd screen for dmd, everything works fine till i run pinevent pup packs. I wonder if you can tell me anything about what’s happening thanks.

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

Hi got a problem with future pinball

Normal future pinball tables work great and so do virtual tables the problem is with pinevent tables. They work fine until i install the pup packs for them then it crashes the table and the displays stay on screens. i have 3 screen for my cabinet lcd screen for dmd, everything works fine till i run pinevent pup packs. I wonder if you can tell me anything about what’s happening thanks.

First place to go is the PinEvent FAQ.

If you enabled PUPStream… then disable it, reboot and try again and see if that helps.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 209 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?