Pinsound files for Sound Mode 1

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Marrok
    Participant
      @coyohtay

Hi everyone.

I took the dive and played around with Pinsound in my cabinet.  First table I did was Jurassic Park, dumping the files into an altsound directory and changed the sound mode to 1.  Worked like a champ!  For anything else I grabbed off the pinsound forums I have to run the pinsound studio software and enable mode 2 due to their change to rev 0.9.  My biggest complaint with this method is now I have to do any volume adjustments out in the software and not dynamically with my cab volume buttons.  Its rather annoying to not be able to actively change volume so I returned every table but JP to factory.

Anyone have a method to return volume control to visual pinball or does someone have a repository of pinsound files made in 0.8 or their older software that will work with the VP volume contol?

Dustin
      Participant
        @fwiler

Same here.  I don’t really understand why they do what they do, which is too bad.  Otherwise they would have a lot more people creating alternate sounds.

Hopefully someone comes up with a similar way to change sounds without Pinsound.  I checked their forums and all I hear is crickets.

Marrok
        Participant
          @coyohtay

From what I read, mixes made with 0.8 seem to work (some of systems at any rate).  Maybe if someone had older mixes they could bundle up, that would help us non-programmers enjoy better sounds until the gurus figure out a better way!  :)

LeChucksBeard
          Participant
            @lechucksbeard

Personally, I much, much prefer to use the external software as it makes it easier to tweak volume for each table, as you can tweak music, effects, and voice independently. And fewer mixes are compatible with mode 1 anyway. Downside is it’s clunky, and you have to choose your poison. Version 0.8 doesn’t do the Stern tables (and probably mixes that have been made for 0.9) and 0.9 no longer does DE tables (unsupported sound system error). Some of those DE mixes will work with mode 1, but the volume can be jarring. For me, abandoning the Stern compatibility is better as it concerns few tables, and none that I want to play on a regular basis.

They don’t care about this stuff though. There isn’t even a link to PinsoundStudio on their site anymore, so it’s probably as good as it gets.

CarnyPriest
            Participant
              @carnypriest

Personally, I much, much prefer to use the external software as it makes it easier to tweak volume for each table, as you can tweak music, effects, and voice independently. And fewer mixes are compatible with mode 1 anyway. Downside is it’s clunky, and you have to choose your poison. Version 0.8 doesn’t do the Stern tables (and probably mixes that have been made for 0.9) and 0.9 no longer does DE tables (unsupported sound system error). Some of those DE mixes will work with mode 1, but the volume can be jarring. For me, abandoning the Stern compatibility is better as it concerns few tables, and none that I want to play on a regular basis. They don’t care about this stuff though. There isn’t even a link to PinsoundStudio on their site anymore, so it’s probably as good as it gets.

Not a response specifically for LeChucksBeard:

I can’t dispute that the PinSoundStudio software no longer seems to be available. The link just goes back to the homepage.

I think part of the reason why PinSound worked at all with VPM was from PinSound’s desire to tap into another audience for boosting content creation. As of today, years after the capability was first added, there is not a single mix uploaded by anyone in the VP community. I think at this point I’d take any sense of entitlement about how the mixes and software should operate for VP tables and stow it. They know which market they need to serve. Don’t be surprised if v1.0 does not work with VPM at all.

They are at TPF this weekend, so maybe someone can go and ask about it. Won’t be me, I go to SXSW which always happens on the same weekend.

Same goes for Pin2DMD. I hear complaints about the lack of projects, but the only ones who actually do any work are table owners with the VP community happy to ride on coattails especially if the project is given away for free. 32assassin, excepted as he at least worked on WPT for the English language game code. Don’t you think that development on the editor would accelerate if there were more users? Are you still waiting for an editor for PinDMD3?

:negative:

LeChucksBeard
              Participant
                @lechucksbeard

Agreed. Personally, if it were my company, I would not bother supporting the virtual pinball world at all with any application. It’s of no benefit to them, just extra work. It’s good for us that it works like it does now, and mostly what we need for our tables is out there, with newer tables not needing this stuff as much, as they have higher quality audio to start with.

They told me recently that a v1.0 was going to come out and correct the problem with DE tables, but with the link gone, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no longer an app for us to use, as they’ll probably concentrate on correcting the issue for buyers of their hardware.

Bambi Plattfuss
                Participant
                  @bambiplattfuss

Pinsound is released a new board and Software called pinsound+ which you can find here: https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=3

When it comes to altsound files for sound mode 1 there are some out there which works like a charm

Marrok
                  Participant
                    @coyohtay

How do we get an upload section and get VPers to upload their soundmode 1 files?

Shannon
                    Participant
                      @shannon1

I agree. I hope someone will post the old sound mode 1 files. :yes:

CarnyPriest
                      Participant
                        @carnypriest

Would need permission from authors of the works, I’d expect. A lot of sweat goes into a soundtrack remix.

Best to just go with Sound Mode 2 as its the more advanced form of the technology within VPM.

My complaint is that mixes were re-upped on the community forum compressed into ogg from wav, but I can’t say, in truth, if the difference is discernible.

Rugburn
                        Participant
                          @nemartin

Anyone know where to get the pinsound mode 1 table files???

Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

All I know is that it used to be a mega link on the VP Junkies FB group. Believe they took it down by request. Expect it to still be a good place to ask such a question though.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                            Bambi Plattfuss
                            Participant
                              @bambiplattfuss

yes taken down Public by request – which means get acces only when ask in private ;)

2 users thanked author for this post.
                              Arngrim
                              Participant
                                @arngrim
                                DOF MinisterMember

hi,

i tried to use this sound pack as suggested in the addams family new version thread

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/137-the-addams-family-ost-by-slamt1lt-v2/

i put altsound = 1 in vpinmame confg of the taf_l7 , and unzipped the content of the file to vpinmame/altsound/taf_l7 but i have no sound, what am i missing?

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus

@arngrim : Haven’t checked. But is you say that it is recently updated – you need pinsound to be running and mode = 2.

Arngrim
                                  Participant
                                    @arngrim
                                    DOF MinisterMember

i don’t know if that’s considered as new, i talked about the new version of the addams family table (awesome!)

well i would hope there was a way to run it without pinsound software… :)

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

@arngrim : best advice I have for that is to send a PM to @bambiplattfuss
                                      I believe he has 100% control over what can be played without the software. Maybe we could get him to post a list in the wiki or something. Jens !! :whistle:

Bambi Plattfuss
                                      Participant
                                        @bambiplattfuss

Arngrim  look ok Facebook i message you  ;)

Ashram56
                                        Participant
                                          @ashram56

Good Morning,

I would appreciate some guidance as well, as I just started to dig into Pinsound, but nothing works for me, either altsound=1 nor altsound=2

Essentially, when I use altsound 2, PSS0.8 is connected and listening, and does seem to respond to play commands.

But nothing is played, and in the log window of PSS I get a bunch of “[Info] missing : 65018 0xfdfa” errors. Looks to me the package naming convention is different, so nothing is working

I tested with three different tables: LOTR, Indiana Jones Pinball Adventures and Dr Who. Tried two different packages for LOTR.

So back to basics:

• Am I correct to assume the package have the wrong naming convention in the file structure ?
                                          • If so, any chance to point me toward functional audio packages ?
                                          • If not, what am I missing in the procedure ?

If you could recommend at least a simple package I could download along with it’s reference table so I can ensure the installation is correct, that would be helpful.

Alternatively, there are discussions on several forums about altsound vs Pinsound, but can’t find any direction on what this is exactly…

Thanks for the help

Lefabulleux
                                          Participant
                                            @lefabulleux

Same issue as Ashram here. Sound mode 1 working great with the old mixes i grabbed on facebook vp junkies group (thanks Jens so much for that). But no way to get sound mode 2 working…PSS 0.8 connected with VP but in the log window got a bunch of missing files which are actually in the right folder os PSS. It seems they changed names or code. Cannot find any solution on the web, any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?