PinUP Controller button assignments

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Scooby
    Participant
      @scooby

I’m working my way through the PUP setup and so far I have wheels and music playing nicely. However I can’t figure out how to exit from a table and have my cab return to the PUP front end.

I have tried different buttons in the ControllerForm configuration, but whatever I do, I can’t seem to exit a table and have it return to PUP. Instead, I need to use the              to force quit PUP and return to the Windows desktop.

When this happens, I lose my Windows task bar and I also cannot relaunch PUP unless I reboot the computer.

Attached are my current ControllerForm button assignments. What can I do to fix this?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

I’m working my way through the PUP setup and so far I have wheels and music playing nicely. However I can’t figure out how to exit from a table and have my cab return to the PUP front end.

I have tried different buttons in the ControllerForm configuration, but whatever I do, I can’t seem to exit a table and have it return to PUP. Instead, I need to use the to force quit PUP and return to the Windows desktop.

When this happens, I lose my Windows task bar and I also cannot relaunch PUP unless I reboot the computer.

Attached are my current ControllerForm button assignments. What can I do to fix this?

Make sure your Exit Emulator key is NOT the same as what your emulator uses to exit the program. You want Popper to do the closing, not your emulator.

Also…you MUST have pinupmenu.exe Run as Admin, or Popper can’t close out other programs… BUT don’t have ANY other EXEs in PinupSystem Run as Admin!

Scooby
        Participant
          @scooby

I think the default game exit button in VPX is Q, which is also my exit button on my cab. That must have been it. I changed the game exit button in VPX to x and kept the exit button Q on my cab. After some initial tests, this looks like that did the trick.

Thanks Terry!

Scooby
          Participant
            @scooby

I have figured something out with Popper and also need some help.

I discovered that if VPX is running in Exclusive Full Screen mode, my cab Exit button (hard coded to Q in the firmware) does not exit out of Popper properly. VPX is still open in the task bar and Popper is open somewhere in the background. I can only see Popper running if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then I need to force Popper to quit.

If I have VPX running in Windowed Fullscreen mode, I can exit from Popper using my cab Exit button and everything seems good…BUT this only works if PinUpMenu is set to run as Admin. The flip side is with it set this way, DOF does not work with when in Popper (it needs PinUpMenu NOT to be running as Admin).

A couple of side notes when running in Windowed mode:

1. When I exit a table, it takes the normal 2 key presses to exit VPX like it always has. So after the first Exit key press, I can see the dialog box with the options of Resume/Debug/Quit. In Exclusive Full Screen mode, I don’t see this dialog box when exiting a table…but then I have the issue above.
            2. When a table is loading, the “loading” screen goes black until the table loads. This is not a big deal, but thought I would mention it as I’m running Tarcisio’s awesome theme and his loading screen is no longer being seen when in Exclusive full screen mode.

I remember not too long ago, many users switched to Exclusive full screen mode in VPX to get smoother game play. I also have tried this with DDraw set at 0 and at 1, with the same results.

Are these normal when running Exclusive Full Screen mode in VPX and are most people now running Windowed mode again?

Is there any way to be able to exit tables from Popper while also having DOF working?

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

you’re not the first person to have this weird issue that DOF doesn’t like to be ran with Admin…  not just a Popper issue as PBX user had same issue i saw.

I think something in the new r3++ install of DOF has changed and its only for some people.

workaround….  not ideal, but someone thought about this ‘hack’.  ran pinupmenu.exe as NOT admin,  but ran vpxstarter.exe and pupcloser.exe as admin  (they are in the launcher folder)…

could try that.

would be good to ask a DOF coder (don’t know if any are still active) what thing in DOF doesn’t like to be admin on your cab…

Scooby
              Participant
                @scooby

Thanks Nailbuster. I tried your suggestion, but with the same results. Popper seems to be working, I just can’t use DOF from the frontend, which is a bummer not having the lights and flashers working when scrolling tables.

I’ll keep looking and I hope a solution can be found, as I’m really liking Popper otherwise.

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

you are CERTAIN that you set pupcloser.exe as ‘run admin’ and pinupmenu.exe as non-admin?

worked for others….

the other thing you can do is NOT run vpx as admin… not really needed, so that both pinup and vpx are not admin.

Scooby
                  Participant
                    @scooby

I checked to see if vpx was running as Admin and it was. I turned that off and I now have vpx, PupMenu.exe, pupcloser.exe and vpxstarter.exe) running without Admin mode. I know you and Terry mentioned that Pupmenu.exe needs to run in Admin mode, but having all these programs running without Admin mode seems to be working. I’ll run more tables in and out of Popper over the next week or so to see if this is a stable solution.

Thanks again for this great frontend and for all your help!

NickD
                    Participant
                      @nickd

<p style=”text-align: center;”><!–more–>having the exact same issues ..and my brain is now fried ..</p>
                      Strange .. my Fx3 works with PUP perfectly which I found to be strange as I thought I was going to have mega problems .

So I’m thinking the issue is between VPX & PUP and relating to the exit game / exit emulator buttons ..

Really am stuck on this ..some great friendly help is much needed . :heart:
                      <!–more–><!–more–>

Nick

NickD
                      Participant
                        @nickd

<!–more–>ps …screen shots included of vP and PUP keys … Sorry about quality

Nick

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        chaffee1921
                        Participant
                          @chaffee1921

Does anyone have any suggestions for controller configuration for a cab with limited buttons? For example, can Menu select and Start Game be the same button? I feel like I have tried this and it doesn’t work. The only way I have gotten through the front end to actually play a table is to use my keyboard. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for remapping the usb joystick buttons? I did not set mine up and I swear my One Player button and Launch Ball button are both mapped to the Enter key.

LynnInDenver
                          Participant
                            @lynnindenver

The Pinscape software for the KL25Z and the iPac line of encoders do allow for limited button availability through the use of a “shift” assignment, and I’d be shocked if the other not-iPac solutions don’t offer a similar feature. Radiant Silverball only technically has six buttons on the cab front – 3 coin slots (adapted coin reject buttons), Launch, Start and Extra Ball.

The Extra Ball is mapped as the shift – if I press and release just that button, it’s the Buy In.

If I hold it down and press Start, that Exits the running table and returns to the front end.

Hold it down and press Launch in the front end, that brings up the Menu where I can do things like capture media.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                            Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                            Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

actarus
                            Participant
                              @actarus

Hello,

My problem is even more basic. When I try to setup controller buttons, it does not see any buttons (declared as “joystick buttons” in KL25Z configuration, detected smoothly through PinscapeConfigTool and running fine with VPX). When I switch the KL25Z buttons’ configuration to “keyboard keys”, the PinUP controller detects the buttons (well, the keys emitted by button press).

Is there anything I am missing for PinUP controller to be able to catch “joystick buttons” presses ?

Thanks in advance

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?