PinUp Player script – is using the playfield display possible?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rebel Oz
    Participant
      @rebeloz69

Hoping someone can shed some light on this one for me, as I’ve been searching around for about 2 weeks now trying to find some comprehensive documentation on using PinUp Player within a table script, and haven’t been able to solve this.

I’m looking to ‘hijack’ the playfield display, and use it to display stills/video/text boxes, sitting ‘above’ the regular playfield.

Can anyone assist, possibly with example script to do this? :)

Rebel Oz
      Participant
        @rebeloz69

@TerryRed: You mentioned a ‘work-around’ for this issue over in the PinUp Player thread (https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pinup-system-player-and-popper-front-end-install/page/7/#post-196655)

While I applaud your enthusiasm for Future Pinball, I must confess that I stopped using it about 10 years ago, and haven’t found a good enough reason to abandon the much better physics available in VP. Your mileage may vary… :)

As I mentioned over in the other thread, I’m attempting to ‘superimpose’ the PinUp Player display OVER the playfield display.

What I may not have made clear, though, is that I really don’t wish to modify the playfield (as such); it will merely serve as a backdrop for my own (programmatically created) content (using the scripting engine).

You’ve indicated that you believe this would be possible, if VPX was running in borderless windowed mode, by forcing the PuP-Pack on top of the VPX Window.

Would you care to elaborate?

My configuration *is* borderless windowed, and yet I still cannot seem to get a cracker out of the playfield PinUp Player window…

LynnInDenver
        Participant
          @lynnindenver

You’re probably dealing with the focus issue that some people encounter where they have to click on the playfield sometimes with a PuP-Pack to get VPX to respond to them, albeit from the other side.

The problem I suspect you’re going to have is, even if you manage to get PinUp to show an overlay OVER the playfield like you want, it could well be that it’s one or the other; you can have the overlay, or you can play the pinball, but not both.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
          Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
          Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Rebel Oz
          Participant
            @rebeloz69

@lynnindenver: You’re quite right, even WITH the Pup-pack pupinit.bat forcing the playfield winpos, which (from my limited understanding) it’s supposed to mitigate…

The *real* pain, though, is that no matter what I try within the table script, I’m finding it impossible to get ANY content to display on the PinUp Player playfield display; hence, my request for assistance/documentation of the PUP engine calls available, parameters accepted, etc…

I’m seriously considering a major re-think of this project, but I’m reluctant to completely abandon the concept, because:

• It’s something that scratches a personal ‘itch’ for me.
            • The PUP framework combined with VPX provides a nice easy method of accessing pincab resources in a lovely, consistent manner, and I’d rather not ‘reinvent the wheel’ there unless I absolutely must.
            • It feels so, lame, to ‘settle’ for just spraying content on the limited real-estate of the backglass, when I have this lovely 4K display just sitting there begging for attention! :)
            LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

Yeah, you’re running into the limitations of vpx right now… what you would really need is a vpx version of the PinEvent software that enables Future Pinball to display PinUp Player video on a texture surface. But it’s also quite possible that wouldn’t be workable given the age of some of the vpx architecture. Otherwise, you’ll need to rely on Reels and swapping textures on playfield objects.

You do have another option, and that’s to wait for Visual Pinball Engine to reach release, then you could likely use Unity features to accomplish the same goal.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

NailBuster
                @nailbuster
                ModeratorMember

you’re really not understanding the basics of PuP Displays.  There’s no such thing as a “Playfield” PuP Display or a “Backglass” PuP display…. they are just pupdisplays# that are labeled “topper,dmd,bg..etc”

if you have something working on PUP#2 (bg) then you are fully able to do the same on PUP#0 or PUP#3 (playfield).

Its not even tied to monitors.  so move your PUP#3 display to your backglass monitor and get your media tested/working there.

If playfield pup works on your Backglass monitor but not overtop a vpx game playing….well thats a limitation of windows/vpx and nothing pup could do about that.  You may be seeing the pup display ‘behind’ vpx table but thats a z-order issue that terry already sent you a video about ‘on-top’ with desktop users.

Rebel Oz
                Participant
                  @rebeloz69

Never mind, I think I’ve solved it.

There were two problems:

In my code, I was explicitly calling init for the playfield (PupDisplay#3) – apparently, this isn’t required, as removing the initialisation got the playfield display to momentarily come up, then drop again.

The reason it was dropping, was related (I think) to the dimensions of the png I was casting as the background in the Puppack (616X1085) – resized the image to 720X1080, and the image displays correctly on both my test rig (desktop mode) and my cab (fullscreen exclusive), where it would display on neither before.

Weird!

Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions. I continue to learn… :)

NailBuster
                    @nailbuster
                    ModeratorMember

good stuff…   are you using/starting with orbital framework?  or using my PUPDMD Framework?  or just rolling your own?

If using my PUPDMD framework then you just use the b2s init as the puppack will start/show/control all displays on b2s startup.

Orbital is designed to only init in table script and no puppack designer used in that framework.  (if you make a puppackeditor pack with orbital things will get screwy)

Rebel Oz
                    Participant
                      @rebeloz69

@nailbuster,

I don’t have any documentation to work with, so I’m using a combination of PUPDMD framework and self-written PinUp Player calls (gleaned from poring over the code of 100s of tables).

It’s slow going.

Trying to determine function call parameters, some of which are simply impossible (SendMSG, for example, has a slew of parameters like: MT, SN, FN, PM, CP, which, without documentation, are utterly indecipherable, have conflicting ‘guidelines’, or simply aren’t compatible with other parameters.), so, if you could point me to where I could find good coverage of this, I’d greatly appreciate it! :)

NailBuster
                        @nailbuster
                        ModeratorMember

@nailbuster,

I don’t have any documentation to work with, so I’m using a combination of PUPDMD framework and self-written PinUp Player calls (gleaned from poring over the code of 100s of tables).

It’s slow going.

I’m tired of hearing you complain on every post about lack of documentation and examples for PuPDMD.  If you have read the pdf and used all the files from this page:  https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pup_dmd  and still find it too difficult then you need to use another DMD solution.  All the other pupDMD authors and even @terryreds PinEvent framework was all written using the available docs/examples/info….

Good luck.

Rebel Oz
                        Participant
                          @rebeloz69

@nailbuster, steady on there, big fella! :)

Complaining? No, merely pointing out that there is a remarkable absence of adequate documentation for such a cool little niche program.

You seem to be operating on the assumption that I wish to utilise the DMD capabilities of the package, and you’re right, I do; but I’ve already got all the ‘code examples’ I could possibly need for that, no further assistance required. I want to do MUCH more than just that, however, as I thought I’d made clear.

To my understanding, the PupDMD framework is not the problem I’m tackling here; it’s more about the PinUp PLAYER API.

Yes, I have read the PDF, and used all the files from the pup_dmd page, but if you think that the capabilities of the PinUp Player are amply documented and all features covered by the wiki, then you’re right, I’m missing something…

For example, nowhere on your entire wiki have I been able to find ANY explanation for the contents of the JSON string fed to Sendmsg, and the derivative works you’ve mentioned do nothing to advance that.

In the specific areas I’ve requested your assistance on, there’s a marked absence of any code coverage that sufficiently details the function calls.

If I have to battle on in the dark, that’s fine, but I assumed that you’d be willing to assist by providing something more than “See what everyone else has done, and figure it out for yourself”, given that it’s YOUR code base we’re talking about here.

If that’s asking too much, I apologise.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?