pinup setup for dummies?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    boslaw
    Participant
      @boslaw

When I read through the wiki and video help files, I feel like I got dropped into a class mid-year and I missed a bunch of important info. I followed the installation instructions and installed all of the required software. Now that I have the pinup system installed, I have no idea what to do with it.

I have my games listed in the games manager but there’s no info about the games (no rom listed, etc. – just game name). Do I have to insert all of this info manually?

Do I have to re-record all videos & screens for selecting tables?

How do I set screen sizes and positions (there’s really no help in the wiki, other than – configure this menu as needed)

I am completely lost :unsure:

Attachments:
      NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

you watched Terry’s videos from here Parts 1-3?

http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=videos_install_help

Cameron
        Participant
          @cameron

Sooooo……

I’m assuming you are coming from PinballX?

You don’t have to re-record your Playfields.

http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=media_help

This will help you convert….

You are able to launch tables right?

boslaw
          Participant
            @boslaw

Thank you both. I had found some of Terry’s videos but not these, which look like the missing link for me. I’ll be playing around with it tonight. Yes, I’m coming from PinballX. As of this moment I cannot launch tables through PinUp but I assume that will be rectified after I watch the videos linked by NailBuster & finish setting everything up.

boslaw
            Participant
              @boslaw

Watched the videos tonight but I’m still really lost.  I can’t even figure out how to get to window 1 in terry’s video (configuring DMD, etc.). I look at the wiki and it says this:

pup started

but when I open pinup popper config and click the popper setup tab I see this:

pup what i see

I click around all of the options but I can’t get to the screen shown in the wiki (that Terry shows). Terry also talks a little bit about setting up virtual dmd, etc., but what about a real dmd? The instructions just basically say “set things up for your system” without any instructions about what that means.

If I choose to “exit and launch”, I get a program with lots of music (I assume this is the pinup system) but a bunch of emulators are available even though only visual pinball is checked as “active in system” in the emu setup form.

Trying to exit out of pinup also has me confused – escape, ctrl-q, none of the usual suspects works, so I have to ctrl-alt-del to end about 5 separate processes to get out of the system.

Maybe I’m daft but getting this set up seems extremely complicated.

I’m not thrilled with pinballx but it seems worlds simpler than pinup so far.

NailBuster
                @nailbuster
                ModeratorMember

to reconfigure the pupdisplay locations run:  PinUpPlayerConfigDisplays.bat  ,  you can also look at your tray-icon for pinupdisplay and right-click configure.

this comes up during install… so somehow you skipped that step…

exit is default ‘X’ keyboard but usually you’d set it in controller setup in config.

Popper is ‘different’ than pbx so maybe you’re just missing some steps,  like just adding tables isn’t enough, you need to add them to playlists.  You aren’t seeing emulators in the frontend, you’re seeing the Future Pinball playlists…  you just go into playlist manager and remove them easily.

TerryRed
                  @terryred
                  MemberContributorModerator

Yes…Popper is “different” than other front-ends. Anything new and different is always hard at first. Understand you aren’t just setting up Pinup Popper (front-end), but you are also setting up Pinup Player (active video backglass player,etc)

I would say….watch ALL of my videos…and follow them literally “step by step”.

I go through almost all this stuff in those videos.

Very important though is to make sure you are up to date….have no blocked files….and VERY important… have pinupmenu.exe Run as Admin (nothing else in PinupSystem folder is Run as Admin).

TerryRed
                    @terryred

….oh, and install freezy 1.71 32 bit files AFTER you install Pinup System. That is the only thing that has really changed.

boslaw
                    Participant
                      @boslaw

Thanks Terry, I did watch the vids (all of them in order) but I’m having trouble following video 1. With new VP software, things don’t always work right the first time so I tend to walk away for a day and come back to it. With pinup, I couldn’t even figure out how to get back to step 1 (configuring the screens) until I saw Nailbuster’s post a few minutes ago. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to run a .bat file and I don’t remember that being mentioned in the wiki. Even when I get back there, neither the videos nor the wiki really explain exactly how to set the screens up (eg what do I do with my real dmd).

Maybe it’s just me- I want to love pinup because it looks great on youtube but it just may require way too much time investment and trial and error for me to figure out how to get it set up.

TerryRed
                        @terryred

Thanks Terry, I did watch the vids (all of them in order) but I’m having trouble following video 1. With new VP software, things don’t always work right the first time so I tend to walk away for a day and come back to it. With pinup, I couldn’t even figure out how to get back to step 1 (configuring the screens) until I saw Nailbuster’s post a few minutes ago. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to run a .bat file and I don’t remember that being mentioned in the wiki. Even when I get back there, neither the videos nor the wiki really explain exactly how to set the screens up (eg what do I do with my real dmd).

Maybe it’s just me- I want to love pinup because it looks great on youtube but it just may require way too much time investment and trial and error for me to figure out how to get it set up.

If you don’t understand what Pinup Player does, or what the different screens are meant for, etc… its hard to help you.

There’s nothing else I can tell you that those videos don’t also show you. Setup each PuP screen “where” they should go and configure them how I show you (if you don’t have a Topper, do what I tell you,etc).

I won’t B/S you and say that this is completely noob friendly. It does require to have a basic understanding of certain things.  It’s designed to be a more customizable Front-end, with many more options… but that means more “initial” setup.

If you want something that will simply install and work with no setup or understanding of how it all works…you may have a harder time.

Cameron
                        Participant
                          @cameron

Keep at it and it will start to make sense.

It took me a bit to get things going well. I still have a few weird issues, but PuP is really great to work with once you get the major concepts.

There was a point where I was having problems and realized after going through Terry’s tutorial, that I had missed a step. Might be worth the time to go through them again or do as I did, use another machine to play the video/tutorial and then pause it while I follow or complete the task, then continue. This might be a bit tricky since you have already started, but might not be bad to run through again.

boslaw
                          Participant
                            @boslaw

Thanks Cameron. I may try again at some point, or I may wait until a later version when installation and configuration are more streamlined. If this front end is taking me longer to configure than the actual VP games or playfield LEDs or any of the other things we run in our cabs then it’s probably not the best front end for me.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

You are not the only one sitting on the fence waiting for a new release :)

TerryRed
                                @terryred

You are not the only one sitting on the fence waiting for a new release :)

I can tell you that a new 1.6 installer is being worked on….

• it won’t touch any of your files
                                • will only install PuP and Popper files
                                • doesn’t mess with freezy or dmddevice.dll files (except for enabling pup in dmddevice.ini, no biggie)
                                • installs Tarcisio’s Theme as the new default setup and Theme
                                • includes major updates to both Popper and Player (required for my new Transformers PuP-Pack)
                                • freezy isn’t required to be installed unless you want to use PuP-Packs. You can install freezy before, or after Pinup. Either is fine.

As for the new features and changes…I’m not listing that here. Just way to many new features to list…

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                boslaw
                                Participant
                                  @boslaw

My recommendation if you want to get more people to try Pinup is to add lots more detail to the wiki.

1. What is a PuP Pack?
                                  2. What is a Popper file?
                                  3. What is Pinup Popper?
                                  4. What is Pinup Player?
                                  5. What is Pinup System?

When you say things like:

In the following screen click which component you want to install:
                                  B2Splugin
                                  PuPCapture VPinMame

It would be helpful to explain why I might want/not want to install those plugins. What are they for?

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

My recommendation if you want to get more people to try Pinup is to add lots more detail to the wiki.

1. What is a PuP Pack?
                                    2. What is a Popper file?
                                    3. What is Pinup Popper?
                                    4. What is Pinup Player?
                                    5. What is Pinup System?

When you say things like:

In the following screen click which component you want to install:

B2Splugin

PuPCapture VPinMame

It would be helpful to explain why I might want/not want to install those plugins. What are they for?

The wiki is fairly new and is WIP.  Moe info will be progressively added.

What is a PuP Pack?

I’ve gone over this in other videos:

What is a Popper file?

No such thing. You are the first person to even say those words together.  :)

What is Pinup Popper?

A front-end that “makes use of” Pinup Player.

What is Pinup Player?

A program that will play media on any screen when triggered from other programs.

What is Pinup System?

The installation of Pinup Player  and Pinup Popper in one centralized location. Any future programs that utilize Pinup Player will most likely be here in the future as well.

In the Installer video, I literally say “B2Splugin” and “PuPCapture VPinMame” files are required if you want to use PuP-Packs. If you don’t understand what B2S Server or their plug-ins are, etc…then you got some studying to do. That’s some essential stuff you need to understand. I can’t go through the entirety of virtual pinball in a Pinup System install video. :)

That being said…when time permits, the wiki will be updated more, and I will be creating new 1.6 Pinup System installer videos, and removing all old ones.

boslaw
                                    Participant
                                      @boslaw

As I said, it could be just me who finds the wiki and all the instructional videos confusing.

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus
                                        ContributorMemberModerator

Everything is confusing – until you understand it. Just a fact of life ;-)

And Terry. You where close to not telling all that is know about VP in those videos of yours :good: … well, for the new users at least.

gamer03
                                        Participant
                                          @gamer03

can anyone tell me why future pinball  wont load into my popper all the games show up and the videos are kind of grayed out. fx3 works fine, virtual pinbaal works fine. i tried doing a new install on a different drive and loaded future pinball just fine but whats stopping it from my current build?

outhere
                                            @outhere
                                            MemberContributorvipModerator

can anyone tell me why future pinball wont load into my popper all the games show up and the videos are kind of grayed out. fx3 works fine, virtual pinbaal works fine. i tried doing a new install on a different drive and loaded future pinball just fine but whats stopping it from my current build?

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=emulator_future_pinball

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?