PinupPlayer.exe Not Responding

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    daveeast1966
    Participant
      @daveeast1966

I have been using Visual Pinball and PinballX for some time now.  I am currently building a machine that includes PinUp System for the first time.  I am attempting to run Stranger Things SE.  Everythings starts great, but after a random amount of time, the Pinupplayer portion of the table locks up.  The table continues to work, but the video and the logic assoicated with Pinup does not.  When I drop out of Visual Pinball and open Task Manger, Pinupplayer.exe shows as “not responding”.  Ending that task and starting the table makes everything work again for a bit, and then another lockup.  I followed the installation videos for Pinup System and everything seems to work at first, but pinup fails afer a few minutes of play.  There is no lag in any of the videos or the table.  As an additional test, I set up Pinup Popper with my tables, but didn’t even get to the point where I could launch one, as Pinupplayer.exe locked up before I could do so.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Table Info:

• Visual Pinball X 10.5 beta
      • DMDExt 1.71 (Started with 1.4)
      • Pinup System 1.34 (started with 1.30)
      • Intel Core i3
      • 8GB RAM
      • Nvidia gtx-1050
      NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

first guess:  are you running v2.2.8 32bit VLC  ?

second guess:  make sure none of the dlls/exe in pinupsystem is blocked/unlocked.  and only pinupmenu.exe is run as admin (not other exes).

daveeast1966
        Participant
          @daveeast1966

I checked and am running VLC 2.28.  I also have just pinupplayer.exe set to run as admin.  I’ve tried running it in XP compatibility mode and leaving it running in Win 10 mode.  One other thing that is happening is that the game is still trying to call out to run the B2S backglass.  I’ve run with and without the stranger things backglass.  Without it, I get an error stating that it isn’t there, which sits in front of the playfield until I close it.  With it, it runs.  I know the backglass isn’t supposed to be there, but maybe the whole B2S system is causing issues?  Is there a way to turn it off for just this table?

TerryRed
            @terryred
            MemberContributorModerator

I checked and am running VLC 2.28. I also have just pinupplayer.exe set to run as admin. I’ve tried running it in XP compatibility mode and leaving it running in Win 10 mode. One other thing that is happening is that the game is still trying to call out to run the B2S backglass. I’ve run with and without the stranger things backglass. Without it, I get an error stating that it isn’t there, which sits in front of the playfield until I close it. With it, it runs. I know the backglass isn’t supposed to be there, but maybe the whole B2S system is causing issues? Is there a way to turn it off for just this table?

With the directb2s backglass running…right-click on the backglass to bring up b2s server setting. You can disable that warning in a check box at the bottom. Now you can run any table without a directb2s and not get that warning.

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

don’t worry about popper until pinup player is working correct.

don’t run anything as admin… and run them all as normal, no compatiblity mode or anything like that.

your b2s error is ‘normal’ for some reason its default to error with no b2s… you need to right-click on any backglass and uncheck that setting about ‘error on no backglass’…

try another puppack table like avatar to see if its just one table or all pup tables…

daveeast1966
              Participant
                @daveeast1966

Sorry about the delay in response.  Since the last post, I’ve fixed the b2s issue and confirmed that nothing is running as admin or compatibility mode.  I’ve recently updated my video drivers and PinUp System.  I also tried running Tron Legacy.  Just as with Stranger Things, everything starts great.  After a short time, the PinUp video freezes up.  The table continues to work.  Up to the point of the freeze, everything works smoothly.  When I look at Task Manager, I can see that PinupPlayer is not responding.  Have you seen this with any of your tables?

daveeast1966
                Participant
                  @daveeast1966

OK, so PInupPlayer is behaving itself, but PinupDisplay is the executable that is going to a “not responding” status. Has anyone seen issues with this executable having problems?

SmooveJY
                  Participant
                    @smoovejy

Not to revive an old thread, but I’m having this exact issue and am also looking for a fix.  Did you ever get this sorted out?  If so, what did the trick?  My PinUpDisplay 32-bit locks up with every table after the initial start up (e.g., the fireflies and dust motes in Stranger Things; after the Beatles opening sequence on The Beatles-Seawitch skin job).  Thought I had done everything according to the instructions, but can’t get this to work.  All thoughts appreciated.

daveeast1966
                    Participant
                      @daveeast1966

First off, I had done so much experimenting, I couldn’t assume that all settings, versions and applications were the right ones, installed in the right order.  I uninstalled everything and started with getting every driver and firmware version up to date.  I made sure that all Windows 10 updates were installed.  I was running Win10 1803 at the time.  I did not upgrade to 1809 because of all the issues with the version.

I then installed every program and made sure that non-pinup tables ran perfectly.  Then I installed the pinup software and its needed apps.  The tables ran a little longer than they had before the reinstall, but still froze after starting the second game.  The whole issue acted like a memory leak or bad behavior, like something got stuck making a call to the OS or a driver.  I disconnected the connection to my network, disabled the wired and wireless network adapters, changed all unneeded services running to manual and stopped the anti-viral software.  That was the fix for me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      SmooveJY
                      Participant
                        @smoovejy

I’m with you on the experimenting leaving me unsure that everything is configured right (or configured in the original form, anyway).  You describe a lot of troubleshooting steps.  I was hoping to avoid something that intricate, but maybe that’s what it takes.  Thanks for your response.

daveeast1966
                        Participant
                          @daveeast1966

If you want to try just one thing, disconnect from your network, disable the services and anti-virus (even windows defender) and try it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          bushav
                          Participant
                            @bushav

I’m having the same issue.  I’ve tried everything I know to try and PinUpDisplay (32 bit) stops responding on TRON and JAWS.  I have to use task manager to end PinUPDisplay so I can move on.

Using a GTX 1060 with high end gaming computer and 4K playfield on three monitor setup.  Occasionally I can get through TRON without the videos freezing but usually they freeze up within a minute or two of starting game play.  Sometimes they freeze before the game has even loaded the ROM.  I can see the back glass and the topper stop their effects and know the exact moment the videos have tanked.  Once today I got through 3 complete games of TRON before the videos froze up.

Nailbuster is pointing out the PinUPMenu.exe should be the only file run as administrator.  I have looked and looked for PinUPMenu.exe and I be darned if I can find it anywhere.  I don’t think I have that file in my 1.4 version of PUP system install.

Goonies is working correctly and is not freezing up but the DMD and static backglass are the only things using the PUP system I believe and it is using a different method.  When I finish playing Goonies PinUpDisplay.exe remains open which keeps the back glass active until you use task manager to close it. You can see this in action because when scrolling through tables in PBX the Goonies back glass appears in between every selection as each new backglass video loads. When I exit to desktop the Goonies back glass remains on monitor 2. I tried TerryRed’s TRON table that uses the alternate system.  It seems to run OK.  My freezy DMD’s using 1.71 work great.

I would like to get TRON and JAWS working.  They are quite beautiful when operating.  It is frustrating that so many people seem to be installing and having no issues and I just can’t get it to work on my brand spanking new Windows 10 system.  I keep trying and try not to get to aggravated.  I put it down and them every couple of weeks try try again.

Lane

bushav
                            Participant
                              @bushav

The Munsters table got me interested in trouble shooting my system again.  What a beautiful implementation of table and pup videos!

Yesterday I double checked installation, ran tests, reduced quality settings etc.  I have come to the conclusion that a GTX 1060 is just not capable of handling the demands put on it by the table/video combinations.  Pup runs great and then freezes up when multiball or some other event pushes the video card over the edge.  If anyone out there is having success with a GTX 1060 then please let me know so I don’t assign the blame to the wrong part of my system.  I get massive stutter using the pup videos then the pup player freezes up and the table stutter goes away.  I have to use task manager to close pup player upon table exit.  Rinse and repeat for all my pup tables.  I think I have eliminated any installation errors and upgraded all components to current releases.  It works great until the system exceeds the video card capability to keep up.

Looks like I am going to drop $500 on a “GTX 2070 Super” video card.  That’s how much I like the Pup system and the new tables that are implementing it.  No question that with STERN using video screens instead of DMD on future tables this is where emulation is also heading.

LynnInDenver
                              Participant
                                @lynnindenver

Yeah, the 4K playfield is driving your card over the edge trying to use PinUp Player on top of it. Definitely time for a new video card. I want to get a 4K playfield for Radiant Silverball, but I also know that has to come with a new video card as the 1050ti I have in there now will not cut it.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

bushav
                                Participant
                                  @bushav

I checked out three websites that predict performance based on your CPU and Graphics card.

With my Ryzen 3 1200 CPU and the GTX 1060 they all predict “4K Not Possible”

With my Ryzen 3 1200 CPU and the RTX 2070 Super the prediction is for 48 frames per second with medium settings running the popular action games.

I’m pretty disappointed I purchased the GTX 1060.  I built the computer through SkyTech Gaming last year.  Not knowing much I went for the memory and power supply upgrades.  When I tried to upgrade the video card the sales rep reported that the GTX 1060 was fine for my application.  Tonight I checked out their website and now see that the mini tower they offer does not have a xx70 or xx80 series offering on the video card.  You must step up to their cadillac which offers the 2080 video card.  VPX is teaching me a lot of things, computing, arduino, addressable LED, power supplies, coding etc. etc. etc..  It has been really rewarding (and expensive)!

I just placed an order with Best Buy for the RTX 2070 Super at $499 and free shipping.  It’s a lot of money but my wife and I spend a few hours each week playing VPX and I really want some of the Pup Tables working (TRON, Batman 66, Munsters and I’m sure a few others I haven’t tried).

Lane

bushav
                                  Participant
                                    @bushav

Can I hear a hallelujah!

Sheltering in place while COVID is infecting my family so…..a lot of time on the virtual pin.  I finally, I say finally got my PinupPlayer working!  It has been a year of struggle.  No fault of the software and the developers.  All the fault on my end.

After original installation tables stuttered when videos were active and eventually PinupPlayer would just freeze up and only Task Manager could close it.  Today I:

Replaced CPU.  Replacing Ryzen 3 1200 with Ryzen 5 3600                                           Replaced GPU.  Replacing NVIDIA GTX 1060 with GTR 2070

These changes got rid of the stutter but the videos still froze after about 30 seconds of a new table launch.  So I surmised it must be a software issue since the above CPU/GPU were running like butter on my 4K setup.  I reinstalled PinUp Player files using newest version.  I reinstalled the four puppacks in my pupvideo folder since my pack editor settings had been monkeyed with during the troubleshooting.  I still had issues so I increased my Windows security setting from zero and that move made it where Windows would ask me if a program had permission to alter system when i tried to open an exe.  This led me to finding numerous pinball executables that were set to run as administrator.  Also many were running in some compatibility mode be it Windows 8 or Vista.  I got rid of the administrator privileges on the various files and unchecked the “run in compatibility mode” settings on various things.   I also installed the special Pup B2S dll that forces PinupPlayer to close when asked.

Immediately I started seeing a more logical loading and shutting down of  tables and PupPacks.  Everything began to work as it should!    The last few hours my wife and I played TRON, Munsters, TNA and Jaws.  I am happy to report they all played smooth, videos ran great and PinballX played well with everyone.  It’s a great feeling to conquer a complex puzzle.

Thanks to you guys for not throwing me off this forum as I have grappled with this problem the last year.  And thanks to NailBuster for all he has done.  I have watched one of his installation videos so much I think I could pick his gaming chair out in a lineup!

Lane

Now waiting to get my Mouser order and Oak Micro Plunger so I can build a Pinscape board and replace my aggravating plunger (randomly does a USB cycle) that came with the “other” board.

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

That’s the problem with trying to turn off User Access Control entirely, there’s specific parts of Windows that just won’t work right without UAC turned on at a minimum level.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

MrSpookypants
                                      Participant
                                        @mrspookypants

I’m not sure if this will help anyone else, but I discovered that I had brought my pup packs to grinding halt/total freezing by unchecking the “force full screen exclusive” box in the VPX global video settings. After I went back to forcing full screen, my videos ran perfectly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?