Plasma DMD questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    805gadgetman
    Participant
      @805gadgetman

So I have my system built in the cabinet and have my main playfield and backglass monitors setup. I was using a third monitor for the DMD but have decided I want to go with a real plasma DMD. I just purchased a Vishay DMD and need to know what else I need to get it to work with my setup. I know the pinDMD is needed but I understand I will also need a high voltage transformer?

Can anyone here give me the lowdown on what to get? I see there are at least three different pinDMD boards out there and the newer ones seem to be for color displays. Do I really need that? Also, aside from those two pieces, do I need anything else? There doesn’t seem to be much DIY info on this out there that I have seen.

One another note, in testing my setup using PinballX and PinballFX2 as a test, I notice flipper lag when playing the games. I am wondering if it is just because that program is pretty intense with the graphics etc. I am using an MSI Twin Frozr III graphics card to run the main and backglass displays. The main runs at 4k but I still see the lag at 1080 as well. The monitor is a Samsung 40″ 7 series with game mode on so I would think it would handle it. I have not tried with any of the other VP systems yet. Maybe they aren’t prone to the lag.

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping this nube out! Learning lot’s in this adventure. :-)

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=123&zenid=2sa2u56kmkvmg1h104c47ltcb0

No, you don’t need color if you don’t want color.

https://pin2dmd.com/category/pin2dmd/ <- Build your own. CAN do color, but you don’t need to turn it on – well, define color, orange is a color last I checked. No color will be hard to see on a black background ;-)   :whistle:

Test outside of the frontend. If there is no lag outside, then your computer is probably not strong enough to run both.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Would need more system specs and also video preferences from vp

1BEFFE47-D251-4DE2-A82F-09D14492C342

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

rgarriott
          Participant
            @rgarriott

You should also check the specs of your tv input lag. If i dont have my LG 4k in game mode i have flipper lag. You want input lag below 50 ms. My LG is 12 ms in game mode.

805gadgetman
            Participant
              @805gadgetman

Thanks for the info! I’ll be checking the TV specs. It isn’t a low end unit so I am hoping that the problem isn’t with that. I’ll also dig into the video settings within the apps as well. I’ll get this figured out!

Kernel
              Participant
                @kern

If you are using vsync @ 60 FPS you’ll get HUGE lag. You can try fast vsync instead.
                For Pinball FX disable vsync trough nvidia control panel. You can easly run butter smooth at 240 fps with impressive responsiveness (the lowest input lag I’ve tested so far).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?