Please Please help Please someone respond

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mjmj
    Participant
      @mjmj

I am panicking! please help I have been working on this on my own during lock down  and now two months of hard work is all gone please someone pitch in any ideas please

I had a system running flawlessly for months now VPX goes Black and crashes on all tables start ups. i did notice a small windows 10 update which ran automatically but everything was fine for a few hour no problems now the system won’t play any  tables  popper front end works  but nothing else.
      i can not restore windows 10 as it says it updated longer than 10 days

loads table fine
      starts table  backglass comes up
      play field comes up
      start sound
      all screens turn off  fan on full
      no response

even  an new example table  turns off the screens
      uninstalled the latest updates  dated today but no change
      the are some sounds associated with key press esc and q  and enter like the computer is running but no screen works and have to restart the  pc

please please any ideas welcome to diagnose the the problem or what to do

mjmj
      Participant
        @mjmj

After a Nights sleep if i turn all the graphics settings down a simple table will play  with a complex table of higher ( just above basic) I think the video card crashes gtx 1650 I think?? the card was playing perfectly.

LynnInDenver
        Participant
          @lynnindenver

Update your graphics card driver from nVidia’s website, Windows Update is known to bork the drivers for anything more than web use in the desire to get “under one updater, in the darkness bind them.”

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
          Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
          Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

mjmj
          Participant
            @mjmj

Hello  Thank you for the reply so good not to feel alone

I just updated them from nvidia with absolutely no change at all. all other things work fine playing videos pinball fx 3 works fine. but vpx loads a table  displays it then the graphic card shits the bed.

On some tables it only goes when i press start. it seams to be asking it to do something it does not like. It worked flawlessly before.

The card I think is fine  some how vpx is not compatible any more.

I am looking for a cause of action  to identify and fix this issue

so far everything works  except VPX

vpx works fine except when launching a table

I can get a simple table to launch and run in desktop mode at lowest setting. cabinet mode kills it.

I have updated all the drivers and windows. the problem still exits.

I think vpx gives an error but i can’t see it as the graphic card shuts down until reboot. ( q makes sound when hit like there is a window open)

I can t find a crash log (I have looked but can’t find one any help here would be great)

What of the many applications should I re install and how do i avoid loosing all my tables/ setting?

what should be my

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

Given the circumstances, and that there isn’t a flurry of “it stopped working and won’t come back” complaints… vpx can actually be much more of a strain on a gpu than anything else. Just because fx3 still runs doesn’t mean there isn’t a serious problem that isn’t directly connected to vpx, just that was the first to actually show it.

The next option to check is your power supply. After that, make sure your cpu cooling block hasn’t come undone in some way, the fans are actually running, etc. It’s either vpx is just enough to brown out the power, or the cpu/gpu is getting suddenly too hot and shutting itself down.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

mjmj
              Participant
                @mjmj

Hi thanks for the interest

I don’t think its the GPU not being able to handle it it has done so for playing several hours a day for the past month or so and now can’t run a simple test table.

I could run tables on the intel graphics chip  at 30p so VPX is not  that intensive.

The power supply is a dedicated 600w  just for the gpu so its not that.

the cpu is fine and still runs after the gpu has shut down.

The GPU can run heavy loads, pop up front end running 3 hd movies on three screens not a sweat.

the problem is between vpx rending and the gpu

Is there a crash log for vpx?

What would be a good test for the GPU to tax it

What is the best way to re install vpx with out loosing tables/ setting

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

The crash log is probably in the folder where you keep the tables.

Running for several hours a day, then suddenly crashing the graphics card, still tells me something has gone wrong somewhere that’s load related.

Ignore that you can run it on your laptop for the purpose of the troubleshooting questions. Something has changed that no longer allows the graphic card to handle the load vpx is putting on it. Many times, the system will recover but vpx will crash, but you’ve gone right into the computer can’t recover without a reboot. You’ve checked the driver, check the fans (power supply, graphics card, cpu, and any others in the case). See if you can get a temperature monitor, and run that and the Task Manager load monitor, and see what happens in a “still working” load like fx3, and then in vpx.

Another thing to try would be to turn the graphics features in vpx all the way off, then try to run a table again.

mjmj
                  Participant
                    @mjmj

Hi  just ran a graphics bench mark  worked as expected for GPU no issues. fan was cool everything was as you would expect.

Re crash log its from a few days ago I deleted it  ran a table lost GPU (all Screens), Restarted, no crash log so either it’s not loging or it is not crashing .

I think it has an error it has some error pop up  just can’t see it because the GPU cuts the screen then i have to cut the power to restart so i don’t think it is actually crashing. I would love to know what it is doing

This is isolated to VPX Running a table only. the CPU and  GPU are working fine in all other circumstances

even with the graphic element set to lowest a full screen cabinet mode table won’t play.

an old em will play in desktop mode on lowest settings

Attack from mars crashes on lowest settings in even in desktop mode  Way Way below the ability of a gti 1650 super demonstrated in the bench test

I can’t believe it is the card  as it works well with very intensive benchmark.

Surely it must be either VPX corrupted?

or Something between VPX and the graphics card that nothing else uses. But what could that be?

What are the things to check that could upset VPX that was working perfectly?

Sorry  for the long  messages this is very frustrating  i have spent so long installing troubleshooting  building soldering to make a superb cab that was working so well only to have it taken away  in the blink of an eye Is this platform really this unstable.

As always any help welcome

Badazzwi
                    Participant
                      @badazzwi

Try a fresh install of vpx. Backup your old one if your worried about losing anything.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

Go ahead and use the all in one installer, that should replace anything that’s borked.

As a note, I did have a graphics card hardware failure, and the only thing that seemed to be effected was vpx. But it would blank the screens and crash out within moments of launching anything that wasn’t literally just a blank table, although I did at least get the displays coming right back up.

JR
                        Participant
                          @jfr1

See @mjmj ?  You’re not alone!  And Lynn’s help is top-shelf! (the best)  Did you do a re-install yet?  Curious to know if that helped.  Sounds like you know your way around a pc but I’ll throw this out there – – I have kaboinked/borked my set up a couple of times and resorted to the rarely used and hard to find Win10 system restore.  Fixed a couple of self-inflicted wounds on my end.  Might not help you, but maybe someone else reading this.  Good luck and let us know what solution you find!

mjmj
                          Participant
                            @mjmj

Hi

First thank you thank you for you help it is much appreciated.

I have re installed VPX USING the all in one installer.

No Change at all.

i got  2 errors

Bing bar (which i think is normal)

and .net framework 4 was already installed as part of system. so did not install.

next causes of action

1. what other  other software is involved with VPX and The graphics card that can be re installed.

2. how to diagnose a faulty Graphics card that only has a problem with VPX  (noticed so far) what tool should i use to confirm this without just buying a new one and hoping that will fix it.

3. Window restore of which you speak ( please provide more info)

Thanks

M

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

There isn’t any other software to be reinstalled. If you’ve gotten the drivers directly from nVidia’s site after doing the Windows update, and reinstalled VPX, and it’s still crashing in the exact same way, then it’s going to be your hardware at this point, even though it’s only hitting VPX for you and seems like it would be pointing to a software issue because of it.

I’m not sure what software you’d need to look for to verify this fact for you so that you don’t feel like you’re buying a video card in a blind hope it will fix the issue. Benchmarking software isn’t necessarily going to do it, you’re going to need something that actually will stress test the card: https://beebom.com/best-tools-stress-test-gpu/

mjmj
                              Participant
                                @mjmj

I

@lynnindenver
                                you are right

Have just run the hardware tester OCCT to stress test CPU AND GPU cpu is fine and GPU memory was fine but the GPU 3d test was an issue and low and behold the card crashes at  it climbs near 100% use just like it does In VPX.

It does appear the the graphics card could be the problem. I am not sure how it is running the other games and not crashing. It may turn out to be how  VPX uses direct x or something. But Lets hope not. I would love it to be just the GPU Issue.

I have ordered a new card and will test and report back.

Thank you for being there and for be patent with me

Thank you

LynnInDenver
                                Participant
                                  @lynnindenver

You’re welcome. The new card should fix it for you. Maybe you can use the old card in a MAME build.

Some of the other games you’re running are probably designed to run on a potato and won’t go anywhere near the top of the video card’s available range… VPX does do quite a bit more, and some of it probably a little inefficiently on top of it, so it puts more strain on the GPU.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

@lynnindenver : Nice work Lynn :good:

mjmj
                                    Participant
                                      @mjmj

Hi

So the new graphics card works!  Thank god! better model better brand hope this one lasts longer.

dmd and SSFB is all out of whack but partly because I reinstalled VPX. These are fixes i have made before and so can again.

For anyone else who has a graphics card crash.

Download the OCCT app or similar and run the GPU tests if you can reproduce the same crash results it is defiantly the card.

thank you @lynnindenver for giving your time and your hand holding while I worked out that you were right ;-)

mjmj

LynnInDenver
                                      Participant
                                        @lynnindenver

You’re welcome.

(I do need to replace the graphics card in my pincab, but only because I want to support 4K on it in the future, and a 1050ti isn’t going to be the level of beef required for it.)

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus
                                          ContributorMemberModerator

@mjmj : If you start to take backup of registry – a reinstall should not be a issue at all if you don’t change resolution or stuff like that. I replaced my old desktop machine with a … still old one, took me 20 minutes to get everything back to normal.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?