RESOLVED: Popper loads tables much slower than standalone VPX

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    jdsabin1
    Participant
      @jdsabin1

As the title suggests, tables are faster outside of popper than inside them. The problem is really exaggerated on the Harry Potter behemoth where it loads in approximately 60 seconds in VPX but takes almost a full two minutes to load within popper. I have disabled the topper and DMD in both the puppack and the table script (because I am running it on just two screens on my cab at the moment). Running in 4k. After one minute in Popper, the loading video dumps to the desktop and then I am left waiting for another minute until the table loads. I have a beefy machine (i7-8700, 16 GB memory, GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB, SSD, Windows 10 64 bit) and all the latest versions of software.

I am stumped. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

outhere
        @outhere
        MemberContributorvipModerator

Post a screenshot of your video settings in VP

newtopinball78
        Participant
          @newtopinball78

Is this happening with only puppack tables or every table?

jdsabin1
          Participant
            @jdsabin1

It happens on most tables but not as exaggerated. SSTNG was 8 seconds slower or so, Stranger Things loaded outside of Popper in 45 seconds, inside popper it was 20 seconds slower.

Here’s a copy of my video settings in VPX:

vpxsettings

Thanks for your help.

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

your load times are crazy long,  your setup is wrong somewhere (even just using vpx)

i would do try two things:   modify dmddevice.ini and set all your dmds to false.  also disable plugins in b2s.

if your load times are then good then enable them back one-at-time and see where the slowdown happens.

nothing popper  does would affect loading times unless playing loading videos during loading is maxing out your system (which you have a good pc).

1 user thanked author for this post.
              outhere
                @outhere

Here are my settings

For Pinup Popper add this to the launch script
                -EnableTrueFullscreen

Example
                START /min “” vpinballx.exe “[DIREMU]” -DisableTrueFullscreen -minimized -play “[GAMEFULLNAME]”
                ) else (
                START /min “” vpinballx.exe “[DIREMU]” -EnableTrueFullscreen -minimized -play “[GAMEFULLNAME]”
                )

VP-10 New Settings-4KTV

newtopinball78
                Participant
                  @newtopinball78

There was a few of us in the pinup facebook group that were having this issue with pup pack tables and loading times.

The solution that patched the issue but not really resolve it was to add a backglass to the pup table then edit the script under Sub Table Init just above .Hidden add .LaunchBackglass = 0. This made the pup pack tables load much faster.

jdsabin1
                  Participant
                    @jdsabin1

Can anyone else provide some approximate load times for tables (Harry Potter or even a pure VPX table like STTNG)? Outside of any front end, just double clicking the vpx file, is how I am timing these. I am not sure I know what normal even looks like. The STTNG table loads for me in 28 seconds ready to play. The Harry Potter tables loads in 90 seconds. Again, once the tables load they all play perfectly.

Latest VPX (10.6), VpinMAME 3.3, Freezy’s 1.73, using colored roms where available. Latest Nvidia drivers, latest Windows 10 64 bit and Defender is turned off. Not running in administrator mode.

Here is my DMDDevice.ini. I don’t see much to change. Using an LCD for my DMD (3 monitor cabinet). In the Harry Potter table I am not even loading a DMD and using the score that is on the backglass.

———

[global]
                    ; how to downscale SEGA 192×64 pixel games to smaller displays: fit, fill or stretch
                    resize = fit
                    ; flips the image horizontally
                    fliphorizontally = false
                    ; flips the image vertically
                    flipvertically = false
                    ; enable or disable frame-by-frame colorization (inactive in VPX bundle)
                    colorize = true

; a DMD that renders with nice dots on a computer monitor
                    [virtualdmd]
                    enabled = true
                    ; virtual dmd stays on top of all other windows
                    stayontop = false
                    ; hide the resize grip
                    hidegrip = true
                    ; ignore the aspect ratio of the rendered dots when resizing
                    ignorear = false
                    ; use VPM’s registry values when positioning the virtual dmd
                    useregistry = false
                    ; x-axis of the window position
                    left = 5778
                    ; y-axis of the window position
                    top = 388
                    ; width of the dmd in monitor pixels
                    width = 759
                    ; height of the dmd in monitor pixels
                    height = 207
                    ; scale the dot size (set to 0.8 for same size as pre-1.6.0)
                    dotsize = 1.0

[pindmd1]
                    ; if false, doesn’t bother looking for a pinDMD1
                    enabled = false

[pindmd2]
                    ; if false, doesn’t bother looking for a pinDMD2
                    enabled = false

[pindmd3]
                    ; if false, doesn’t bother looking for a pinDMD3
                    enabled = false
                    ; COM port, e.g. COM3
                    port =

[pin2dmd]
                    ; if false, doesn’t bother looking for a PIN2DMD
                    enabled = false

[browserstream]
                    ; if enabled, stream to your browser in your LAN
                    enabled = false
                    port = 9090

[vpdbstream]
                    ; if enabled, stream DMD to https://test.vpdb.io/live
                    enabled = false
                    endpoint = https://api-test.vpdb.io/

; if enabled, writes frames to an .avi file
                    enabled = false
                    ; path to folder or .avi file. if folder, gamename.avi is used.
                    path =

[pinup]
                    ; if enabled, send frames to PinUP.
                    enabled = true

[alphanumeric]
                    enabled = false

jbg4208
                    Participant
                      @jbg4208

I get 10 sec on STTNG inside and out of popper. 15 on Harry Potter. And mine is not the best system around.

outhere
                        @outhere

@jbg4208  — You can have Harry Potter loaded and ready to run it in 15 seconds

newtopinball78
                        Participant
                          @newtopinball78

I have a medium type of system build….Harry Potter takes about 17 seconds and is ready to run in VPX and about 20 secs in Pinup. Non pup tables usually take 10-15 seconds.

outhere
                            @outhere

Do you run the transparent videos when loading a table?
                            Because I’m like 30-35 seconds for Harry Potter

newtopinball78
                            Participant
                              @newtopinball78

Hey outhere yes that is with the harry loading arc video…my system use to take like 45 seconds to over a minute sometimes to load pup pack tables but I followed advice of people having similar issue and added a backglass and edited script as mentioned above or added backglass with .res file to make backglass not visible in tables that don’t have the option to edit in script  and this made them load much faster…as I stated it is just a patch to whatever the issue is as we couldn’t figure out what was causing it. I never had an issue with non pup pack table loading times.

outhere
                                @outhere

Windows 10 – and have a i7-4770 with 1070 video card – SSD
                                (added backglass with .res file to make backglass not visible in tables that don’t have the option to edit in script )
                                I tried this earlier and it didn’t seem to make a difference I will have to look into it tomorrow

Seems to be pretty much the same whether it’s from pinup popper are straight from the Editor

jdsabin1
                                Participant
                                  @jdsabin1

What operating system are you guys running? I’m at a loss. These slow loading times must be system related but I can’t figure it out.

jbg4208
                                  Participant
                                    @jbg4208

@Bruce – yep, Though I didn’t officialy time it with a watch. just counted –  1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi, etc. I do run the transparent loading videos. I also haven’t done any of that other stuff you guys mentioned about making a .res file and such. I can time it a few more times to get an average. I just knew my load times were not even close to what was mentioned by jdsabin1.

System specs – I7 -6700@3.4GHz,  16GB ram, GTX 750, 256 SSD, Win10 64bit.

Britman
                                    Participant
                                      @mrl72

I stumbled upon this thread after having the same issue testing last night on a brand new system. AC/DC Luci (non pup pack) as example takes 25s to load outside Popper and 45s from it. Using the loading transparent videos and similar spec system as most of you. 3 screens. Haven’t tried the suggestions above yet but curious if the OP solved it.

me

jdsabin1
                                      Participant
                                        @jdsabin1

This is still a problem for me although I have come to the conclusion that it must be something with my VPX setup just based on other’s load times in general. I plan to reinstall ALL of the VPX stuff starting with the all-in-one installer and then upgrading the SAMBuild and Freezy stuff. Pausing along the way to take timings to see if I can figure this out. I have a very fast PC and over the last week I have run a lot of general performance benchmarks, did some tweaks, and outside of VPX everything tells me all is well and is running extremely fast (including testing other apps that snap open without any delay).

I do plan on reporting back in this thread.

If I can get Harry Potter to load in 30-ish seconds I will consider it a success :).

Britman
                                        Participant
                                          @mrl72

This is still a problem for me although I have come to the conclusion that it must be something with my VPX setup just based on other’s load times in general. I plan to reinstall ALL of the VPX stuff starting with the all-in-one installer and then upgrading the SAMBuild and Freezy stuff. Pausing along the way to take timings to see if I can figure this out. I have a very fast PC and over the last week I have run a lot of general performance benchmarks, did some tweaks, and outside of VPX everything tells me all is well and is running extremely fast (including testing other apps that snap open without any delay).

I do plan on reporting back in this thread.

If I can get Harry Potter to load in 30-ish seconds I will consider it a success :).

If I discover anything useful my end I’ll report back. Mine is a brand new VPX install so I’ve got nothing unusual going on.

me

jdsabin1
                                          Participant
                                            @jdsabin1

I have officially given up. I have done everything but reinstall Windows at this point. New VPX files (all of them) and the results are the same. Long load times. Once the tables load, everything runs great so it is what it is. Specs are i7-8700, 16 GB memory, GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB, 250 GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, the latest NVidia drivers and the latest code base for Windows (1909). Running Windows Defender and have exclusions for nearly everything.

I have a Samsung 40″ 4k monitor as an FYI so running the playfield in 4k resolution. Second monitor runs 1900X1200 and third for DMD is a smaller Dell LCD.

Inside Popper it takes 45 seconds to load the latest Funhouse table and the Harry Potter table takes 1 minute and 38 seconds.

With that said, is there a timing setting somewhere that forces the playfield video to play for say … 2 minutes before it dumps to the desktop? Right now it does that at 60 seconds.

Thx.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?