RESOLVED: Popper loads tables much slower than standalone VPX

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    outhere
      @outhere
      MemberContributorvipModerator

Yes it would be nice to figure this out
      It takes 10 seconds for HP  to load into the editor
      Takes Harry Potter 27 seconds to load up And running from the VP editor

Britman
      Participant
        @mrl72

I have officially given up. I have done everything but reinstall Windows at this point. New VPX files (all of them) and the results are the same. Long load times. Once the tables load, everything runs great so it is what it is. Specs are i7-8700, 16 GB memory, GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB, 250 GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, the latest NVidia drivers and the latest code base for Windows (1909). Running Windows Defender and have exclusions for nearly everything.

I have a Samsung 40″ 4k monitor as an FYI so running the playfield in 4k resolution. Second monitor runs 1900X1200 and third for DMD is a smaller Dell LCD.

Inside Popper it takes 45 seconds to load the latest Funhouse table and the Harry Potter table takes 1 minute and 38 seconds.

With that said, is there a timing setting somewhere that forces the playfield video to play for say … 2 minutes before it dumps to the desktop? Right now it does that at 60 seconds.

Thx.

I didn’t get a chance to do any testing yesterday, but here are my load times for HPGF (with Pinup Pack enabled):

My current system build: i5, 16gb ram, GTX970, 250gb PNY SSD:

Launching from windows explorer (VPX not open): 25 seconds from click to playfield.
        Launching from Pinup Popper: 40 seconds to playfield.

I also tested it on my other machine (which was originally used for testing before porting to the new machine):

i7, GTX1080, 500gb Samsung SSD, 64gb mem.

Launching from windows explorer (VPX not open): 25 seconds from click to playfield.
        Launching from Pinup Popper: 28 seconds to playfield.

So I also have something going on with my new build to almost double the load times, unless the lower CPU is causing it. So off the bat it doesn’t look like a Pinup Popper issue to me because I did the same install on both machines.

But your load times should not be as high as they are. The only things I have done that stick out are adding my entire F: drive (where all the pinball software resides) to Windows Defender exclusions.

Also, try running a read/write test to your SSD. Thinking about it, that’s the only thing I haven’t checked on my new machine. My Samsung SSD uses Samsung Magician and so I get crazy good read/write times. I haven’t tested my new SSD yet.

I’ll keep running some tests today so if I find something I’ll let you know.

EDIT: Here’s my SSD read/write times:

Samsung 500gb: Read: 3117 mb/s. Write: 1653 mb/s.
        PNY 25g0b: Read: 284 mb/s. Write: 248 mb/s.

me

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Britman
        Participant
          @mrl72

Not that this fixed my issue but I did realize that my SSD wasn’t performing as well as it should.

1. Download a SSD speed tester (google SSD Speed Test and download the free AS SSD Benchmark – 2nd link). Capture read/write times on your SSD.
          2. Make sure the SSD is connected to a SATA 3.0 port. Mine was connected to my 2.0 port and I just switched it and now it has double read/write speed!
          3. Make sure AHCI is enabled in your bios.
          4. Re-run speed tests if you had to make changes.
          5. Test table in VPX.

You should be getting a minimum of 500 mb/s read/write and I would expect to see similar load times in VPX (25-30 seconds) as mine.

Let me know your results.

me

Britman
          Participant
            @mrl72

I have officially given up. I have done everything but reinstall Windows at this point. New VPX files (all of them) and the results are the same. Long load times. Once the tables load, everything runs great so it is what it is. Specs are i7-8700, 16 GB memory, GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB, 250 GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, the latest NVidia drivers and the latest code base for Windows (1909). Running Windows Defender and have exclusions for nearly everything.

I have a Samsung 40″ 4k monitor as an FYI so running the playfield in 4k resolution. Second monitor runs 1900X1200 and third for DMD is a smaller Dell LCD.

Inside Popper it takes 45 seconds to load the latest Funhouse table and the Harry Potter table takes 1 minute and 38 seconds.

With that said, is there a timing setting somewhere that forces the playfield video to play for say … 2 minutes before it dumps to the desktop? Right now it does that at 60 seconds.

Thx.

Oh, in regards to pinup popper dumping to desktop after 60 seconds, go into pinupmenusetup, Popup setup tab then Emulators. Click over to VPX then click the Launch Setup tab. In there you’ll see some numbers like 30 10 60. Change the 60 to whatever you want ie 120 for 2 mins.

me

Britman
            Participant
              @mrl72

Just an update on my testing so far.

I changed the launch script to remove all the minimize options so I could watch how VPX starts up. I also removed VPXLauncher.exe from the equation as I thought perhaps that was the root of the issue, it apparently is not since I still get slow load times without it running.

I run the same command from windows command line outside of PP:

start “” vpinballx.exe “c:\visual pinball” -play “c:\visual pinball\tables\hpgf.vpx”

Playfield appears in 25 seconds.

When launching HPGF from PP with same command in the launch options, here’s what I observed:

VPX editor window appears (with title: unresponding). Loading bar at the bottom.
              VPX table finally appears in editor at 40 seconds.
              Playfield appears at 45 seconds.

UPDATE: I think I figured this out, will post response below.

me

jdsabin1
              Participant
                @jdsabin1

Not that this fixed my issue but I did realize that my SSD wasn’t performing as well as it should.

1. Download a SSD speed tester (google SSD Speed Test and download the free AS SSD Benchmark – 2nd link). Capture read/write times on your SSD.
                2. Make sure the SSD is connected to a SATA 3.0 port. Mine was connected to my 2.0 port and I just switched it and now it has double read/write speed!
                5. Test table in VPX.

You should be getting a minimum of 500 mb/s read/write and I would expect to see similar load times in VPX (25-30 seconds) as mine.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I think you are correct. The SSD is an area where I haven’t really done much at all in terms of testing or investigating. I did everything else I could think of (updated the BIOS, SFC scans, you name it). All came back great. At the sake of working with technology that isn’t the latest, I went ahead and got the Samsung 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 SSD to replace my earlier Samsung 250gb SSD. Supposedly the performance gains are through the roof so we’ll see if that had anything to do with it. It arrives tomorrow so I will be installing that and seeing how hard it is to clone the contents of the old SSD to this one. I hope it isn’t a situation where I spend a week trying to get it to work ;). I will report back once that is completed. Thank you again.

Britman
                Participant
                  @mrl72

5. Test table in VPX.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I think you are correct. The SSD is an area where I haven’t really done much at all in terms of testing or investigating. I did everything else I could think of (updated the BIOS, SFC scans, you name it). All came back great. At the sake of working with technology that isn’t the latest, I went ahead and got the Samsung 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 SSD to replace my earlier Samsung 250gb SSD. Supposedly the performance gains are through the roof so we’ll see if that had anything to do with it. It arrives tomorrow so I will be installing that and seeing how hard it is to clone the contents of the old SSD to this one. I hope it isn’t a situation where I spend a week trying to get it to work ;). I will report back once that is completed. Thank you again.

Since it’s a Samsung drive install Samsung Magician if you haven’t done so already. Then enable SSD performance boost or whatever it’s called. You’ll get crazy read/write times, although I believe they’re not “true” speeds.

I went through 3 different clone apps and a weekend trying to clone my system drive. In the end the only software that worked for me was MinTools (it’s free). That’s the only one that did a 1:1 replication and worked. The others pretended they worked but didn’t.

Incidentally, I loaded up PinballX and HPGF started in 25 seconds. PP is definitely one of the issues.

me

Britman
                  Participant
                    @mrl72

I think I’ve figured out what’s going on.

Whenever Pinup Popper is active on the main screen VPX takes longer to load. I noticed that the rendering table was taking longer in VPX so I’m assuming that PP is consuming more of the GPU memory/processing. I tested this theory by adding back in the VPXLauncher.exe and setting it to timeout really low ie. 5 5 5. Launch the table again and after 5 seconds PP minimizes and when it does this VPX speeds up and loads pretty fast! Give it a try and let me know if the playfield loads faster for you (although I still think you’ve got some SSD issues there anyway).

So this could be a GPU issue but I’m also having the issue on my Geforce 1080 which is a very fast card. The next thing I’m testing is the transparent loading videos. Do you have that enabled on your install?

UPDATE: Removed the sparkly stars playfield video and this shaved off 10 seconds of load time. Progress!

UDPATE2: I removed the transparent loading videos and that solved my issue. I ran it with and without while monitoring the GPU usage and it’s certainly getting high when videos are active on the playfield and VPX is rendering behind it.

Here’s something you can test:

Go into pinupmenusetup and click Popper Setup tab > Global Config > Game/Wheel Toolbar > Uncheck transparent Wheelbar > Save.

Then click Screens/Themes > Look for the line with “Loading” and uncheck Transparent option if it is checked.

Re-launch HPGF and time it. While it won’t solve the issue I’m interested to know if it speeds up the load times for you.

Tomorrow I’m going to try moving display 2/3 off to my 2nd GPU and see it that offloads the GPU processing a little bit.

me

jdsabin1
                    Participant
                      @jdsabin1

Your testing is accurate! I performed the same steps as you above with transparent videos and it shaved 15 seconds off load times within popper!

Unfortunately for me, I am still fighting the slow load times problem so while it’s faster, it’s still a slug. As an FYI, I changed the timing in the VPX script within popper to have the playfield video on the screen longer (from 60 to 120) but it didn’t make a difference. After 60 seconds it dumped to the desktop while things were loading.

I did discover that the SSD is likely not the problem. Here are the timings after I ran some benchmarks:

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200224213210467_COVER

IMG_20200224_193540_1280x720

I reinstalled pinup system just in case I missed something the first time. I checked Defender settings again to make sure I was excluding the right things (I have all the C: drive excluded now), checked BIOS settings and see nothing there, checked the hardware channel timings for the graphics card and the SSD, all look fine.

For some timings examples, from the time I double-click on the table name (outside of having vpinball.exe open) to having the table fully loaded and ready to play, I get the following (running 4k and the latest or what is considered the best table versions):

Funhouse (regular B2S) – 35 seconds (is this normal?)

Star Trek The Next Generation (regular B2S) – 28 seconds (again, is this fairly normal?)

Harry Potter – 1 minute and 14 seconds (in Pinup Popper you can add 30 seconds to that load time). What I did see was that the playfield never loaded ahead of the backglass (or it was minimal if it did).

I went so far as to try older versions of vpinball.exe to see if something was amiss there but didn’t see any difference either. My specs are i7-8700, 16 GB memory, GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB, 250 GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, the latest NVidia drivers and the latest code base for Windows (1909), latest version of everything related to VPX, including Freezy stuff. Is there any way to see what else is loading as vpinball.exe opens? Maybe there are some file/dll conflicts happening when it all loads or something. I just have no idea what to look for any longer. As a final note, when everything is loaded, the tables all play amazingly well. Zero stutter in glorious 4k (my video settings are on the first page of this thread). This is a real odd problem to have :(.

Britman
                      Participant
                        @mrl72

Your testing is accurate! I performed the same steps as you above with transparent videos and it shaved 15 seconds off load times within popper!

Unfortunately for me, I am still fighting the slow load times problem so while it’s faster, it’s still a slug. As an FYI, I changed the timing in the VPX script within popper to have the playfield video on the screen longer (from 60 to 120) but it didn’t make a difference. After 60 seconds it dumped to the desktop while things were loading.

I did discover that the SSD is likely not the problem. Here are the timings after I ran some benchmarks:

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200224213210467_COVER

IMG_20200224_193540_1280x720

I reinstalled pinup system just in case I missed something the first time. I checked Defender settings again to make sure I was excluding the right things (I have all the C: drive excluded now), checked BIOS settings and see nothing there, checked the hardware channel timings for the graphics card and the SSD, all look fine.

For some timings examples, from the time I double-click on the table name (outside of having vpinball.exe open) to having the table fully loaded and ready to play, I get the following (running 4k and the latest or what is considered the best table versions):

Funhouse (regular B2S) – 35 seconds (is this normal?)

Star Trek The Next Generation (regular B2S) – 28 seconds (again, is this fairly normal?)

Harry Potter – 1 minute and 14 seconds (in Pinup Popper you can add 30 seconds to that load time). What I did see was that the playfield never loaded ahead of the backglass (or it was minimal if it did).

I went so far as to try older versions of vpinball.exe to see if something was amiss there but didn’t see any difference either. My specs are i7-8700, 16 GB memory, GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB, 250 GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, the latest NVidia drivers and the latest code base for Windows (1909), latest version of everything related to VPX, including Freezy stuff. Is there any way to see what else is loading as vpinball.exe opens? Maybe there are some file/dll conflicts happening when it all loads or something. I just have no idea what to look for any longer. As a final note, when everything is loaded, the tables all play amazingly well. Zero stutter in glorious 4k (my video settings are on the first page of this thread). This is a real odd problem to have :(.

Funhouse for me takes 38 seconds to open from double-clicking the .vpx file. That’s without a backglass mind you.
                        Star Trek The Next Generation (regular B2S) – exactly the same as you – 28 seconds.

So it looks like just tables with pup packs loading slower (edit: I think HPGF is just DOF and not a pup pack, right)?

Changing the timeout value should work in theory unless 60 seconds is the upper limit. If it isn’t, I would make the change then reboot to make sure no pinup processes are lingering.

me

jdsabin1
                        Participant
                          @jdsabin1

Thanks for confirming the timing for regular VPX/B2S tables are in line. I did turn off the Orbital stuff and the DMD stuff in the Harry Potter table script (just using the scoring on the backglass for now). I wonder if there is something else in there that is tripping me up. Or perhaps something in the pinup menu pup pack or the harry potter pup pack is misconfigured. I’ll go back and revisit all of that tonight.

Britman
                          Participant
                            @mrl72

Thanks for confirming the timing for regular VPX/B2S tables are in line. I did turn off the Orbital stuff and the DMD stuff in the Harry Potter table script (just using the scoring on the backglass for now). I wonder if there is something else in there that is tripping me up. Or perhaps something in the pinup menu pup pack or the harry potter pup pack is misconfigured. I’ll go back and revisit all of that tonight.

No problem!

Can you try a different table with pinup player enabled? Maybe Masters of the Universe since I got that one all working good. My load time is as follows:

From .VPX launch: 28 seconds.
                            From Pinup Popper: 34 seconds.

me

Britman
                            Participant
                              @mrl72

Give this a try and let me know your results. This almost completely solved the Pinup Popper delay when transparent videos are loading (got it close to load times as outside PP).

Download Nvidia Inspector from: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-profile-inspector-download.html

Unpack and run nvidiaInspector.exe

When it opens you need to RIGHT click the button bottom right where it says “Show Overclocking”. Select “Multi Display Power Saver”.

When the dialog opens, Check your 1070 as Target GPU, leave run at startup unchecked for now, check both boxes at the bottom.

Right click in the window under “Full 3D Applications” and choose “Add From File” then navigate to the PinupSystem folder and select “pinupmenu.exe”.

When done just X out. See attached what it should look like.

nI2

Then run PP again and see if it loads any faster. If it works, you can install NvidiaInspector properly and set it to run when Windows starts. Note I haven’t tested it with anything else other than PP or VPX.

me

jdsabin1
                              Participant
                                @jdsabin1

MOTU loaded from .vpx in 35 seconds so still slower but not terrible. Installed the new Samsung me 1.2 970 pro. Thanks for the minitools tip on cloning the drive. Worked slick. Next I’ll follow your instructions and test again. I’m assuming Harry Potter is still a slow load. The wife is out of town so trying to find time between the dogs and work has been a royal pita haha. As always, thanks for your help.

jdsabin1
                                Participant
                                  @jdsabin1

This is my ‘message in a bottle’ post on this topic as I have not been able to figure it out and maybe someone will have the same problem and be able to help me out. Until then ….

I have a fast PC, the latest everything (pinup system files, VPX, VPinMAME, Freezy’s 1.71, etc), Windows 10 64 Bit (latest patch levels as I type this), Defender exclusions, latest BIOS, latest Nvidia drivers, you name it. I think most VPX tables without any pup packs load in typically standard times (see below). Tables with pup packs though are slower and maybe that’s expected anyway. I know the transparent videos inside popper should add some load times to the process but still.

Full 4K playfield (3840 x 2160), backglass is a 28″ LCD (1900 X 1200), and DMD monitor is a small LCD (800 X 600). Once any table is loaded, things run fast, smooth, no hint of any stutter, most video options are set to high.

Time to fully load:

STTNG: Outside popper – 28 seconds / Inside popper – 35 seconds

Funhouse: Outside popper – 38 seconds / Inside popper – 43 seconds

TOTAN: Outside popper – 33 seconds / Inside popper – 38 seconds

Master of the Universe (using UDMD): Outside popper – 44 seconds / Inside popper – 53 seconds

Stranger Things: Outside popper – 38 seconds / Inside popper – 47 seconds

HPGF: Outside popper – 75 seconds / Inside popper – 104 seconds (!)

I hope I can find a fix at some point but until then I am trying to simply find a way to make the pf and bg videos keep running until the table loads (using the T-ARC 4k Theme).

Thanks y’all.

My PC:

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming Motherboard (latest BIOS)
                                  SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe M.2 512GB SSD
                                  Intel Core i7-8700K 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) CPU
                                  G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 (PC4 24000) Memory – 2 8GB modules
                                  ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Graphics card (latest NVidia driver)
                                  Windows 10 1909 64 Bit (latest patch level)(nothing running in startup, no weird utilities running, etc)

jdsabin1
                                  Participant
                                    @jdsabin1

RESOLVED: I stumbled into the solution and I do mean STUMBLED. Last night while trying to make changes to anything that made any sense to look at, I upgraded the driver to my 28″ backglass monitor (wondering if that was the culprit since the pup videos played on that screen). After I installed I shutdown and came upstairs as I was done messing around with it for the night. Tonight I fired things back up (outside popper) and tested the Harry Potter table. It fired up in 16 seconds! But … no sound. When I looked in the VPX audio settings, the new driver had forced things to the monitor’s audio channel (crummy speakers in the monitor apparently which I forgot even existed). I have two amps and exciters along with two subs and backbox speakers so it’s an SSF setup (7.1). When I went back and changed the settings to the Realtek audio (which is what they are supposed to be), the load time went back to 75 seconds.

*A-HA!*

I checked the driver version and it was slightly more than a year old. I checked the Asus website and they had an updated driver not more than three months old. Installed that, checked again, problem resolved. Harry Potter now loads from start to finish in 16 seconds.

Moral of the story: It might be your driver versions creating a problem. If I can help someone else from spending hours troubleshooting a problem like this, my pain will have been worth it. What a fiasco. Thanks for everyone that tried to help me out.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                    Numiah
                                    Participant
                                      @numiah

Gotta love these “stumbles” :yahoo:

Bally widebody - i5-4690 - 16Gb - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF - Nvidia GTX1660Ti 6Gb - 256GbM.2 - 60Gb SSD (Win10Pro) - Samsung 49" 4K UHDR - 30" LG Backglass - 17" LCD dmd - iPad as topper - Ledwiz - Teensy - iPac32 - 8 Contactors - 5 Flashers - Gear - Shaker - Knocker - Addressable strips and matrix - 2 Strobes - RGB under cab - RGB buttons - 3-axis Tiltbob

JR
                                      Participant
                                        @jfr1

Gotta love these “stumbles” :yahoo:

Ha, I don’t even run Popper but enjoyed reading this.

bigrob3773
                                        Participant
                                          @bigrob3773

Hey outhere yes that is with the harry loading arc video…my system use to take like 45 seconds to over a minute sometimes to load pup pack tables but I followed advice of people having similar issue and added a backglass and edited script as mentioned above or added backglass with .res file to make backglass not visible in tables that don’t have the option to edit in script and this made them load much faster…as I stated it is just a patch to whatever the issue is as we couldn’t figure out what was causing it. I never had an issue with non pup pack table loading times.

I am having this same issue.. How do you do you added backglass with .res file to make backglass not visible in tables that don’t have the option to edit in script

outhere
                                            @outhere
                                            MemberContributorvipModerator

I am having this same issue.. How do you do you added backglass with .res file to make backglass not visible in tables that don’t have the option to edit in script

See — Separate ScreenRes.txt file – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/3-screen-set-up-and-more/

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?