Post Time

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wimkuijp
    Participant
      @wimkuijp

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/post-time/

When Williams released a new 1-player in 1969, the ‘Paddock’, a variant was built especially for the Italian market: “Post Time”. However, the containers full of these flippers were refused by Italian customs. Send back to the US was too expensive. Loontjens, a coin machine operator in The Netherlands saw his chance, and bought the entire lot for next to nothing. And everywhere in the south west of The Netherlands you could find this game.

Because “Post Time” was especially designed for the Italian market there was no credit wheel visible. Instead, a white window had been placed with the text “previous high score”. So, you could not win a new game but you could win 5 extra balls per ball (Add-a-ball).

An anecdote is circulating about the design. In 1969 Harry Williams was director of the eponymous pinball factory Williams. And Harry was a passionate horse lover. When one of his racehorses lost a race in a very clumsy way, it caused quite a bit of hilarity for Harry’s colleagues. (Reportedly, the beast put his four hooves in the sand in the middle of the trail for no reason, and did not want to move forward or backward). Designer Norm Clark and draftsman Christian Marche (RIP) saw the humour in it and retreated behind their drawing boards. The result was Post Time. Harry’s horse ended out of time. Reason for disqualification!

Press 1 to start game without bells, press s to start game with bells.

9 users thanked author for this post.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

This is a nice surprise. Thank you! I will enjoy trying it out this weekend.

Great anecdote about this game’s origins, btw.

JR
        Participant
          @jfr1

Wait…whuh?

makmak
          Participant
            @makmak

Cool story! Had a good laugh…thanks for sharing!

Rawd
            Participant
              @rawd

This is a really great table.  Thanks for making it.

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

Why was the container with the flippers refused by Italian customs?  Finish the story @wimkuijp !

wimkuijp
                Participant
                  @wimkuijp

I have no idea why it was refused by the Italian customs. Maybe because of the laws that time?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

As I recall, Italy had some pretty strict rules on pinball machines as to what could be construed as a pure entertainment machine, and at which point it crossed over into being a gambling machine – earned credits and couldn’t refer to flippers as flippers. Manufacturers also had to hide the ball lights (or extra ball / play again) as innocuous art elements. It’s also possible Post Time’s theme was an issue, since horse racing can involve/encourage gambling.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Numiah
                    Participant
                      @numiah

Thanks!
                      Dankjewel, leuk stukje geschiedenis.

Bally widebody - i5-4690 - 16Gb - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF - Nvidia GTX1660Ti 6Gb - 256GbM.2 - 60Gb SSD (Win10Pro) - Samsung 49" 4K UHDR - 30" LG Backglass - 17" LCD dmd - iPad as topper - Ledwiz - Teensy - iPac32 - 8 Contactors - 5 Flashers - Gear - Shaker - Knocker - Addressable strips and matrix - 2 Strobes - RGB under cab - RGB buttons - 3-axis Tiltbob

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

does anyone have ball rolling sounds or a coin in sound working?

Thanks for the table!!!!

Luger81
                        Participant
                          @luger81

I get this error when opening the table. I click OK and then it’s fine, but why does that error show up?

*update* I figured it out. I rebooted my PC. That’s all it took. :)

Tom
                          Participant
                            @armyaviation
                            MemberContributor

still no rolling sounds, i tried to figure it out but i’m an idiot

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I enabled the rolling timer and it works now.  also, Gate 1 at the end of the ball lane needs the physics/damping changed to 0.985 for it to work.  There is also a primitive ball gate there but it isn’t scripted in to rotate so it can be deleted since there is a VPX one there too.  Thanks for the table

germarsh
                              Participant
                                @germarsh

I have a weird problem with this table – and Paddock was my first table I really enjoyed as a young boy! – the scores do not get reset between games. Any idea why?

Thank you so much for this table though. It brings back lovely memories.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?