Power Switching – Auto TV On

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Conehead
    Participant
      @conehead

Hi all,

There’s a great section is this guide that discusses the issue of setting up the power switching in a cab and specifically that, while a monitor will automatically turn on if power is supplied to it, a TV likely won’t.  So when the cab is powered on the back monitor and DMD monitor will turn on as well, but if you’re using a TV for the playfield then you’ll need to use the remote to turn it on separately.  For myself, I couldn’t afford to buy a 43″ monitor for my cab so had to go with the cheaper TV option for now.

While I suppose it’s not that big a deal to have the remote lying close by to turn it on every time you turn on the cabinet, it’s not a very elegant solution.

Does anyone know if a solution exists now to get around this issue?  Thanks!

Badazzwi
      Participant
        @badazzwi

Did you look at section 111 of the guide. It discusses that very issue. My playfield tv fortunately had a setting to enable it to turn on with the computer. My backglass tv unfortunately does not but I havent gotten around to figuring that out yet. Another thing I was looking at was a cec adapter which might work as well.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Conehead
        Participant
          @conehead

Thanks for your response.  At least in your case it’s not a super expensive solution to buy a backglass monitor, whereas a 43″ 4K monitor is quite expensive.

themotherbrain
          Participant
            @themotherbrain

Can’t you just get a smart power strip? Im pretty sure they have outlets that turn off when your main device is off.

Conehead
            Participant
              @conehead

Yes, I’ll be getting a smart switch.  But the problem is not to turn the TV off, it’s to turn the TV on without having to use the remote.  Not all TVs will automatically turn on even thought they’re plugged in and receive power.

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

My oldish pf tv, Sony, has power on sensor.  So does my cheap bg tv.  BUT, it has to be hooked up via hdmi.  I’m surprised to hear a newer 4k wouldn’t have that option.  This was just discussed recently somewhere around here and someone found some contraption that might help with this.     here it is – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/tv-power-button/

Conehead
                Participant
                  @conehead

Actually, I don’t have the TV yet because I had it sent directly to VirtuaPin to have it installed so MAYBE it does have a power on sensor?  That would be great if it did, and I guess I’ll find out soon enough.  And thanks for the link.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?