Prefab Virtual Pin Cabinet Builds?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BandontheRun
    Participant
      @bandontherun

I’d like a Virtual Pinball cab but don’t have much time to build from scratch.  I was looking at RecRoomMasters.com – anyone have any recommendations for this sort of thing?

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Cabinets are just a box with tv’s inside. Probably the easiest thing to do in this hobby is buil the “box” everything else is a lot more work Like getting everything installed and working, DOF, front end… the list goes on

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

I haven’t seen their stuff in person but these guys seem committed to keeping the hobby vital and keeping costs reasonable.:

https://www.facebook.com/PinballUnknown/

They’ve helped me with scanned resources for future VP projects and have been very supportive.

CarnyPriest
          Participant
            @carnypriest

If you have a little more money than time or tools and the skills to work with them then buying somebody’s box can give you a head start. I did that with a grand opening special from VPCabs. And I’m glad I did as the price was right at that point. Regular prices for a box and a homemade Windows PC is a little dear IMO. But lack of time? Ha! I laugh about that! If you don’t have time to spend learning the software then your cabinet is going to wind up an expensive door stop. Don’t count on a lot of support from your cab manufacturer. Selling other people’s pinball software, game code, tables, and other media and sticking it in a hard drive before it goes out to a customer is illegal and certainly frowned upon here and in other forums. You will have to install and configure the software on your own. That takes a lot of time and moreso if you want flashers, shaker, full color DMD, alternate soundtracks, etc. if you really don’t have time and the zeal, my suggestion is to turn around now and just play Pinball Arcade and Zen on your phone and forget about this.

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

That was kinda my point! No time to build the box… no time to keep it updated either. So maybe he is saying lack of skill to build it? If so sure purchase a flat pac I mean sometimes I don’t want to make stuff either :good:

for IOS and Android

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest

I haven’t seen their stuff in person but these guys seem committed to keeping the hobby vital and keeping costs reasonable.:

https://www.facebook.com/PinballUnknown/

They’ve helped me with scanned resources for future VP projects and have been very supportive.

Black Friday special is about what I paid for a VPCabs grand opening special five years ago (3 screens in a P2k style cab). I don’t know if the DMD that the PinballUnknown crew is selling is a real DMD or another PC LED display. However, a 1080p playfield screen just does not do justice to the current state of the art in software and tables available. That’s a price/performance choice that is simply going to lead to dissatisfaction IMO. They mention that in the post knowing that a 4K display and the hardware to handle it is going to start putting the true cost into the same realm as a real table.

The other way to go is to find a wrecked table that can be refurbished. Have to have luck, patience, and/or connections in your area to locate a suitable shell of an old table, but some have gone that route rather than pre-fab and saved a lot of $$$ on the total cost of the build. Flat pack is a time saving option. Point being that there is no such thing as a pre fab where everything just works out of the box. It’s a hobby product not a consumer product. Even if the manufacturer was underhanded and it had software and tables working, you would still have to learn how to update and upgrade software as there are new tables published in the community all the time. Eventually, what was originally installed will be out of date.

Nemo
                Participant
                  @nemo

That being said: i think that keeping the vpin up to date and running perfectly is part of the hobby.

I get great satisfaction when adding a new table to the collection, or updating a software component.

Another GREAT aspect is the fact that the vpin NEVER is quite “done” ….. always something to improve upon  :good:

BandontheRun
                  Participant
                    @bandontherun

I can tinker with the software etc.. I’m just not very good at carpentry – so looking for the best option to just get a cab up an running.  I want to be able to use 3 monitors for backglass, DMD and play field..

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Personally I’d get a flat pack from vpcabs or virtual pin then if you cannot build it yourself or don’t want to   :good:

for IOS and Android

GlueSniffinEd
                      Participant
                        @gluesniffined

I’m in the same boat for needing a pre-fab cab kit, but for a mini system.  I live in a townhouse and have no carpentry capable areas (and skills heh) to build from scratch, nor do I have room for a full sized system.  The mini systems I’ve seen seem to include the computer and the monitors, but I would like to source those myself.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Thank You,

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

@gluesniffined really only 2 places that sell pre fab cabinets is in the post above yours. try and make one or just go to a cabinet shop/woodworking place and see what they can do for ya…building it is 75% of the fun!

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

GlueSniffinEd
                          Participant
                            @gluesniffined

Hahaha, very true as I’m sure even the pre-fab’s need reworking for the specific hardware going inside.

I’m sure there are some plans on the internet for a base to start from.  I guess I’ll poke around and go from there.

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/171-plans-williams-widebody-cabinet-plans/

The plans from mameman are the source for many homemade cabs as well as at least one commercial maker (VPCabs). He actually did some routing work for me that went well. I don’t think he’s been in the scene for a while though.

GlueSniffinEd
                              Participant
                                @gluesniffined

Thanks for the link!  I’ll have to scale it down to maybe a 27″ play-field, but it should be fairly straightforward.  Jeez, like randr said, there isn’t really that much to it.

I see a couple of Harbor Freight hand tools in my future and several 30 minute trips to my friend’s shop over a few weeks, as time permits.  I really wish his CNC’s wouldn’t get destroyed by sawdust and wood chips; a little modeling in Solidworks and some G-code…voila….*sigh*.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?