Project Alien Star Resurrection!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

AS Resurrection

Yes, it gets a flyer!

So have most of parts gathered to build Alien Star, mostly populated playfield from Haunt’s favorite guy Todd Tuckey, backglass from bgresto, and a bunch power supply and wiring harnesses from a couple guys in Alaska who parted out a dead Ice Fever.  Plus a bunch of misc stuff from all over, which reminds me, I still need to buy cabinet rails.

I’ve started building the cabinet the backbox is in primer, paint this weekend, and bought a new toy to make this:

IMG_20190620_182954

stencils made on my new vinyl cutter.  would have been real helpful on the Hulk project.  spent a lot of time figuring out how to use Illustrator and clean up the live trace it did.  The main part on the left is done in a blue, and then the little bits on the right go over it in orange.  the other side is just a mirror image, and I still need to do the cab sides and front in illustrator.

That’s it for now, and you may not see anything else for a while as I’m going on vacation for a month starting next week.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Well that’s cool! Looking forward to this project for sure!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Sweet! Following this one with interest.

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

Month long party at BD’s house! B-)

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

Month long party at BD’s house! B-)

As long as you get some work done on the projects! I’ll leave a list.

The tedium of cleaning up the illustrator trace.  My OCD made me redraw the 4 point stars, but surprisingly let me get away with not having my circles all be circles. Front of the cab, around the coin door, left to do.

Capture

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

white speckles on a black cabinet.. déjà vu all over again.   :wacko:

IMG_20190622_193745

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Still plugging away on the illustrator file for the front of the cab, the area around the coin door has more detail than the rest of the artwork on the cab.  :unsure:

In the mean time, stick the stencil shown above on the speckled, backbox and spray some paint…

IMG_20190623_132150

Give it some time to dry.. but not too dry.. and peel off the stencil hoping you don’t botch the whole thing up….

IMG_20190623_134710

Success!  First color on.  need to let this cure for a day or maybe even two then do the orange bits… then wait some more and repeat on the other side of the backbox.  No way I would have done this without the stencil/vinyl cutter.

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

That came out great !

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

So after 2 tries and fixing some black in between, we now have a wee bit of orange on this side.  It has a couple small blemishes that I may or may not touch-up later, and the sheen is different on all 3 colors but the satin clear I plan on doing at the end will take care of that.

IMG_20190626_181853

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Looks good??

********************************************************
                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Nemo
                        Participant
                          @nemo

Dang that’s better than factory ! Nicely done sir !

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

Getting back rolling on Alien Star now that summer vacation is over.  I got the other side of the backbox stenciled and have started assembling the main cabinet.

First time using my lock miter bit.  kind of a pain to setup and use but should give very strong corners.

IMG_20190901_144206

All strapped/clamped up as square as I can get it. backbox setting on the bandsaw behind it.

IMG_20190901_144152

replicated the cross bars and corner blocks as close to factory as I could make it.  well, it’s similar anyway :)

IMG_20190901_144142

still need to cut the groove for the glass holder, cut the hole for the coin door and plunger and flipper buttons and power stuff, add another cross piece that is actually the front side of the neck, fill dings/cracks/imperfections, sand, etc then off to the garage side of the shop for paint.  while it’s going through painting I’ll also be working on making the light board for the backbox with all it’s mounts and swivels and such.

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

While the glue dries…

A few years back when building my Star Wars cab I made a guide out of a 2×4 with a notch cut out to drill the corner holes for the leg bolts.  It worked pretty good, but being wood got a little wobbly after the 8 holes.

So this is the guide block that’s been hanging out in the shop (I don’t throw anything away.. I need a bigger shop)  I just clamped it to the corner at the appropriate height:

IMG_20190901_171933

So what I’ve seen others do with 3d printed versions of this is over drill and add a metal bushing and I thought that was a great idea.  A quick trip to Ace and I have a couple 3/8″ ID, 1/2″ OD bronze bushings that are 1″ long.  I went with bronze instead of steel even though they cost a couple bucks more because the bronze would have less ability to dull the drill bits.

So I threw a 1/2″ bit in the drill press, set it to only go so far into the block of wood so the bushing wouldn’t go into the V and drilled the holes, then epoxied the 2 bushings into the holes, like so:

IMG_20190901_173035

No, neatness does not count  B-)

To test it out I just screwed a couple scraps of wood together at a right angle, clamped the jig in place, drilled a couple holes then raided my spare leg bolt and leg plate bin for test parts.  worked great!

IMG_20190901_174238

Now I just need to wait until tomorrow for the glue to dry, measure for the hole locations (the system 80A have the holes at the same height front and back), then make some holes. Oh, I also spent a few minutes to get the router setup to do the slot for the glass channel as well as adding the front neck piece that I just realized I need to take back out and route for the hinges, good thing I didn’t glue that one and used pocket screws.

That’s enough for today, beer thirty.  :good:    (why do we not have a beer emoji? :unsure: )

bord
                                @bord

supes

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

Got the glass groove cut and  leg bolt holes, coin door hole, start button hole, and plunger holes drilled, and fit the lockdown bar and reciever.  Today my ‘new’ side rails showed up.  I actually rather like the textured rails gottlieb put on some system 80 – system 3 machines, but I know a lot of people that don’t.  I managed to find a set in mostly decent shape to use for this project as Alien Star did have them originally.

Test fit and mark for flipper holes etc. which I later drilled out:

IMG_20190903_173427

I’ve owned a couple machines that had these side rails, but I finally got around to looking real close at the pattern.  It’s rather mesmerizing once you see the pattern.

IMG_20190903_180937

Tomorrows project is to route out the front of the neck (not on the cabinet in the above pics) for the backbox hinge, then reassemble and prep for prime and paint.

JR
                                  Participant
                                    @jfr1

Damn.  That is neat to see.  Thanks for sharing this journey.

BorgDog
                                    Participant
                                      @borgdog
                                      MemberContributorvip

Did some work on AS today, started on the lightboard, and got some speckles on the big cab, not totally consistent, but I can live with it:

IMG_20190915_143044

And did the first stencil for the cab.

IMG_20190915_191631

Also been going through all my parts and figuring out what I need and how to get all the wiring done.  Trying to save up parts orders until I get further along so I don’t pay for shipping to many times.  I’m just glad I’m not keeping track of costs, would probably depress me.

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

Today I managed to get the stencil  on the cab and back off leaving paint behind without messing it up.  It’s the second layer (orange) I’m more worried about. Thinking about maybe doing a layer of clear in between since I had the stencil pull up some blue on the last one.  :scratch:

IMG_20190918_192722

Still working on the lightboard for the backbox, trying to get everything all lined up.

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

Didn’t get this one lined up quite right, but I decided I’d keep it anyway.  One side done, except for clear, 2 to go.  Still plugging away on the backbox details as well.

IMG_20191001_164248

bord
                                            @bord

Looks awesome!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 145 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?