Project Alien Star Resurrection!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

this one was a bit more stressful pulling all the little sections of stencil off. let it sit for a few days then do the orange which is mainly the guns.

IMG_20191004_170032

should have masked off the coin opening, but the stencil covers it all so no worry.

going to try and get the light board for the backbox all cut out and painted white this weekend, have it fitted with the hinges mounted at the moment.

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

damn that’s pretty. first time with actual backglass in painted backbox  :yahoo:

IMG_20191005_115614

JR
        Participant
          @jfr1

That Backglass is sweet!  So is the VPX version I have of yours!!

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

Thanks!  the VPX version will get a total rebuild once I get the cabinet done and strip down the playfield, touch it up, clear coat it and then scan it.

Put a bunch of holes in a board and painted it white, sure hope all those holes are in the right spot  :wacko:

IMG_20191005_173320

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

slow but steady is what they say.. I have the slow part down.

A little orange today.

IMG_20191009_172900

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

I don’t think I ever realized how cool the cab art on this game is. Love it.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

Could not agree more. And I absolutely love this game. Really cool to see it come together and you’re really doing a great job too ! :good:

Keep the updates coming.

JR
                  Participant
                    @jfr1

Zoiks.  Put some Star Wars socks on before that last pic!

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

Finally getting to some fun stuff LOL.  put some satin clear on everything last week to even out the sheen, and started assembling the cab today, backbox finally mounted to the main cabinet.  Just so so many parts and pieces and such to all do in the right order, always takes longer than I think it will.

IMG_20191111_161749

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

It looks beautiful @Borgdog

********************************************************
                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

robertms
                        Participant
                          @mophead

Cab looks superb @borgdog , better than it looked in 1984. Also love the Vader stencil art on the wall, nice touch B-)

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

Really good job so far @borgdog. I see now that if I where to make my pin all over again, I would seriously considering making it a Alien Star design.

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

Cab looks superb @borgdog , better than it looked in 1984. Also love the Vader stencil art on the wall, nice touch B-)

Ha, that Vader is in a few places around.

Really good job so far @borgdog. I see now that if I where to make my pin all over again, I would seriously considering making it a Alien Star design.

Nothing crazy fancy like some cabs, but it is rather striking. Attached are the illustrator files I did to make the stencils if anyone wants them, not perfect and based off photos so not 100% accurate, and I’m an illustrator newb so I’m sure much room for improvement, but they worked and I’m happy with it.

It looks beautiful @borgdog

Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Had some motivation left after work today and got a lot done (at least I think so). :yes:

• scrubbed the textured side rails to get them nice and clean
                                • installed the bulk of the ground braid so I could do the next couple things on the list
                                • installed the leg brackets and protectors
                                • mounted up the side rails and the glass receiver pieces at the back
                                • put in the flipper and start buttons (will be lit eventually)
                                • lockbar reciever installed.

I’m done with the stuff I wanted to get done on it in the shop, so I’ll probably move it into the house tomorrow so I can clean up the shop and move the playfield out to be torn down, cleaned up, cleared, etc., oh and finish up the coin door surround that I’m fabbing before I do the playfield stuff.  Now I need to find room in the house to put it :wacko:

IMG_20191112_184918

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

That is crazy cool.  Really enjoying watching this project unfold.

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

have been making some progress, up on legs, moved into house, started on the wiring, have the score displays in, tranformer mounted in bottom.  weeding out extra wires from the Ice Fever harness that I don’t need mainly the goal/puck stuff in the backbox.

So many little details, today I got to make a mess as I had forgotton to put a recess for the nut to hold the backbox lock in place.  had the hole for the lock, recess for the plate, and recess for the arm to block the backglass from being lifted, but couldn’t put the darn nut on.  arrg.  try drilling a hole around an existing hole with a handheld drill.  fortunately I had a dowel that fit the 3/4″ hole for the lock so the center of the bit had something to center in.

Update pic with Cleo acting as tool holder.  Cleo is actually sold, but I’m holding it for him for a couple weeks until his game room is finished.  Still working (or mostly not working) on the coin door surround when I get tired of wiring.

IMG_20191123_112130

bord
                                      @bord
                                      MembervipContributorModerator

Alien Star > Cleopatra.

Cool to see this moving along. Thanks for the update!

Gwen
                                      Participant
                                        @gwen

This is looking great =)

Gwen
                                        - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

Doesn’t seem like much, but coin door is in.  this is a weird middle sized one.  alien star came originally with a skinny door and a wider door, probably whatever they had, or changed standard in the middle, who knows, but as you can see art is much better/more visible with the skinny door.

as_15      IMG_1219

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the skinny door to no avail, so ended up buying a new Mid-width suzo-happ door.  only problem was is they only make them for over/under setups so had no single door frame to go around it.  I’m not as good with steel fabrication as with wood, but it came out looking OK and functions, which is the more important part.  locating the darn hinge screw holes before drilling and tapping them was a pain. so here is my version.

IMG_20191203_171422

Tomorrow I’m cleaning up the shop then bringing the playfield out to strip down, touch-up and clear coat, as well as clean/rebuild/replace mechs, switches, light sockets, whatever needs it. Well, not all tomorrow of course :wacko:   Fortunately the shop is insulated and has heat when I need to use it.

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus

I agree. The small door is the way to go. Looks great !

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 145 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?