This topic contains 125 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  -RpT 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Author
     -RpT 
    Participant

An unused mounting hole in the backbox just so happens to be in a perfect place for me to slide a disposable chopstick in to prop the monitor in a flush position once mounted. It’s been there for 3 days now and doesn’t show any signs of breaking.

IMG_20180725_221034

Had wished to replace. With a Fancier Chopstick. Is this a haiku?

I found something better looking in the charity shop:

IMG_20180725_221321

Absolutely no reason for me to photograph a knitting needle other than to photobomb the Vectrex  :heart:   Really do love this thing – something that emulation can’t do justice.

In other news, work gave me a pay rise that I wasn’t expecting and Paul from Virtuapin has come back to me with a ton of useful information about the cab and has ordered and shipped me the router and router-bit as promised.

Chopstick feng shui folks – powerful stuff  :unsure:

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Strange they will send a router and bit but perhaps its cheaper then shipping the new side with proper channel?

Build is looking good any new updates/pictures?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

-RpT 
    Participant

@randr –  yeah that reason, as well as they didn’t have another one ready cut yet. It’s the least ridiculous option for something like this given the cost of shipping large panels to the UK in my opinion.

Router already received so obviously next day delivery on that and he’s having his new guy film himself cutting his first slot which they are going to send to me which I find quite amusing… so in terms of fixing the problem I really don’t have any negative feedback. Paul’s gone beyond what was required to sort things out and I do believe the problem was a one off having spoken to him some more. Had some other complaints on hole placement etc which reading between the lines i feel was the euro branch dropping the ball in not sending all the info, not the cabinet itself and i have given them some pretty blunt feedback on that which was acknowledged so expect it will be fixed for the next person.  :good:

As for the build,

Sorry for the few new pictures and slow progress!  Project is packed down and on hold until Sunday (landlord / council / plumbers… don’t ask) when i will have 2 days to hopefully get the main cabinet part put together… Then we have guests staying so have to see if the space can be juggled or if it’s going to have to wait a week but i hope to pick up speed again soon.

Last week of august is my summer break so should be getting to the good stuff then barring any problems!

-RpT 
    Participant

IMG_20180729_172027

Looks like a cab! Was fairly quick and easy to do this stage from flat although you do need 1 other person to keep things held in place. Glad I managed to get this done today  :-)

Installed the corner brackets also + the corner wood pieces that come with the kit. Word of advice here, they are cut to fit the back but not the front holes so a good bit of sanding is needed both on the face and underneath to make sure they slide in for gluing. Also, pilot holes are needed (i cracked one a bit by not using one for one of the screw holes). For the back they didn’t need any modification.

IMG_20180729_171924

I can’t stress this enough if you have the same kit – INSTALL THE METAL PIECES FIRST THEN DROP THE WOOD IN WITH GLUE! CHECK THE BOLTS FOR THE LEGS STILL GO IN AT EVERY STAGE!

I had to expand a couple of outside holes a fraction using the drill and sand paper as the bolts were rubbing. Main thing again is that they seat well as the legs will cover the holes.

Here’s some pics of it all installed, lastly i put some wood filler but not many places needed it.

IMG_20180729_172027

IMG_20180729_195534

IMG_20180729_195612

Tomorrow – Sand + Ink then testing the legs and backboard fit i guess!  :good:

tthurman 
    Participant

Ink, cool beans!

It seemed odd to me at first as well, but if you’ve ever stained anything with ebony stains you know it comes out anything but.  I suppose with the differnece in wood grains and the density of the pigment prevent dark colors from staying that way.  I started down that road myself but opted for paint in the end.

More recently I tried some General Finishes “Dye Stain” in merlot on an unrelated project, and boy is it dark!  It didn’t splotch either, and this was on birch.  I wold think it would be worth a shot if you ever intrested in another dark piece.

-RpT 
    Participant

@tthurman

The ink went well for my needs although it gets difficult to keep even over larger areas. From my tests i found that it’s possible to get a super professional “piano” looking finish with ink although that’s not what i did here outside the potentially visible areas  as it would have been pointless and taken at least another half day. I originally tried the ink as i was worried about my painting skills and because spray-paint would have required a bit more setup of the space and cost in paints especially as the final finish is going to be stick-on artwork!

I think if you were going for Ink as a final finish it would take some patience i think and spray paint would be the easier option ultimately however this fitted my needs and budget – protects the wood and if and bits get exposed chances are it’s going to be a smooth, dead black! Over the large panels you can see some variance and definitely if you take no care like mine on the inside hidden parts where it’s basically just there to protect the wood (as it contains shellac).

-RpT 
    Participant

IMG_20180731_093231

IMG_20180731_094759

IMG_20180731_094809

As of last night ^^^

IMG_20180731_110241

IMG_20180731_110250

Getting legs on (bit of felt to ultimately protect the artwork). This is a space buying measure essentially – I will work with the cab at waist height for a while!

-RpT 
    Participant

IMG_20180731_112718

IMG_20180731_112710

^^ Really starting to take shape  :yahoo:

IMG_20180731_115145

IMG_20180731_115159

^^ Backbox hinge is a go.

IMG_20180731_141004

^^ Cardboard playfield for sizing things up!

IMG_20180731_200423

IMG_20180731_200405

^^

Deadbolts! To hopefully prevent anything falling even in an earthquake. I over-engineer to the best of my ability – I think in the long run this will be key to a good nights sleep!

IMG_20180731_200324

IMG_20180731_200331

Carbon fibre wrap to tidy things up, a-la TerryRed (taking quite a few examples from his build).

Good couple of days, so nice to finally stand at the lockdown bar and get a feel for it!

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

How did you do routing the t-moulding slot?

looking great btw!

-RpT 
    Participant

Thanks! Still waiting for the router bit ETA  sometime next 2 weeks as he couldn’t find the correct one for sale in the UK – it’s actually there for the glass rail to sit, not T-molding although i’m guessing its the same kind of channel.

Should have enough to keep me busy in the meantime but does mean I have to wait on installing the side art for now…

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

yes its a t-moulding bit… ive done many mame cabs, pin cabs over the years and yeah you got plenty to keep you busy  :good:

-RpT 
    Participant

Funnily enough, I was already thinking a 2-player mame cab might be on the cards for next project… now that I have seen the space that’s free in there with the pinball assembled and given I have a bunch of tools etc it would be possible!

At least a couple of years away from starting on that, lol. Definitely got my work cut out for the foreseeable future.

I have seen some of your work on youtube randr and it’s absolutely top notch, the Ice Cold Beer machines especially… blew my mind!! For the benefit of the readers, type “randrcomputers ice cold beer” into youtube to see what i mean.

Hi to any Facebook peeps and thanks for all the lovely comments on my build!  :heart:

1 user thanked author for this post.
     LlamaStick 
    Participant

Great stuff Rich, and details that I’m already taking away and incorporating. My inspiration for cab design is also randr and TerryRed.

Feeling a bit ashamed that it’s taken me 18 months to get anywhere near a piece of wood, but threads like yours are spurring me on.

My long term goal is a UK based Virtual Pin tournament weekend – not quite VPinburgh, but I can dream, right?!

-RpT 
    Participant

@llamastick – Ohh color me interested in the event!

Complete first-timer here, hence I went for the kit over trying to plan this out myself as I just want the cab to be a solid foundation to mod! Technically i’m not sure when this all began in seriousness but i have had this idea in my head for a while now so 18 months ain’t so bad ;) Kind of muddling through things and doing plan -> build -> plan -> build in baby steps as I go along so I’m expecting a bit of a Frankenstein when it’s all said and done B-) . Also juggling the space game in my case, with the 3 housemates all having needs of their own.

Hope it’s useful as an insight and let me know if you have questions, but I’m sure a ton of what I’m doing here can be improved on by someone with actual wood skills!

-RpT 
    Participant

IMG_20180801_213400

Router bit came today – much earlier than the shipping estimate. I emailed Paul from Virtuapin and they filmed cutting one as a demo :)

They call me “Ricky 2-slots”  B-)

More pics soon – progressing with the backbox face, playfield mounting and installing artwork shortly!

HauntFreaks 
    vipContributorMember

I didnt have a slot cutter bit when I built my cab, so I routed a groove for the glass to sit in…

temp3

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

That works perfectly fine too the way haunt did it! shows there is more then one way to get exact same result :good:

-RpT 
    Participant

@hauntfreaks – Really nice! I have learned a lot about routers this week!

Still some work to do with the tool before the project is complete i think (i have picked up a bit set to play with on some scrap wood). Now i have it I’m imagining all kinds of use cases!

tthurman 
    Participant

Carbon fibre wrap to tidy things up, a-la TerryRed (taking quite a few examples from his build).

Between randr and Terry I’ve amassed a large pile of stuff that I look at on the floor and think “someday”, which is probably someday I’ll be pulling my hair out trying to get all this sh#! working! :unsure:

Needless to say I’ve been influnced by many in this hobby as well. :good:

-RpT 
    Participant

Update feels delayed so sorry about that, hence this will be a bit of a catch-up over a couple of posts (but mostly photos, yey!)

IMG_20180801_152201

^^ Backbox bezel height determined, attached some hardboard to pine trim to create the frame

IMG_20180801_155004

^^ temporary spacers placed in front of the hinge bolts to determine exactly where the bezel needs to sit

IMG_20180801_160344

^^ Black plastic railing from the kit. Not it’s intended use i think (believe this supposed to go on the top) but i’m not having glass in the backbox so does nicely to hold the bezel in place.

Attached it with a bunch of hot-glue down the hidden side like a knacker but it’s not visible so fair game…  :unsure:

IMG_20180801_171122

^^ Bit of light sanding and the tap of a hammer seats the bezel firmly.

IMG_20180801_171140

^^ From the front

IMG_20180801_171112

Should look pretty neat i hope once i get it all cut out and put artwork! Still a lot of design needed at this stage in terms of hole placement, etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account