Project…. Pin-occhio?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

Looks great!

I bet even any amount you can easily remove will be a better playing pinball cab. So maybe centered more might be enough!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

-RpT
      Participant
        @rpt

@randr – Going to London on Sunday as it’s my birthday… dragging the family to Brew Dog in Shepard’s Bush to play some real pinball as reference.  B-)

might well have a strong urge to remount the play-field after that (gonna bring a tape measure and check how far off my virtual flippers are vs the real ones)!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Nice.

enjoy the trip and don’t worry to much about the space but maybe 1/2 the empty space in front or even put the empty space in the back? It’s up to you really it will work either way that’s for sure

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Nothing is like the real thing so have fun !

-RpT
            Participant
              @rpt

Thanks all for the kind words.

Busy day and a half, here’s some random photos while i take a coffee break.

IMG_20180821_141235

^^ Start of the pincontrol2 wiring (making things a bit more tidy than the first test). Very glad i went this route as it combines a bunch of different functions onto the 1 board. Sven from vpin-shop.de has been a lifesaver answering the questions i had (manual is still in German so I needed some some help getting the plunger working).

Main buttons, nudge, plunger all register in DIView! Some config will still be needed in software of course but its looking good thus far. Lighting from the front buttons just going direct for now so the’re always on. Maybe i can control these based on event sometime in the future… I think i will probably need the pincontrol2 expansion board at some point!

IMG_20180821_094428

IMG_20180821_094434

^ £5 from china but it works – breakout board supplies 12v and 5v where it’s needed. Connects to an old 500w computer PSU that i had kicking about.

IMG_20180821_093645

^^ plunger is very solid (3d printed by the looks of it). Never would have got this together without a 2nd pair of hands – that spring is stronger than it looks!

Also got pinup popper installed and running last night… want to get FX3 loaded up there and configured so it’s done and dusted (VPX will be an ongoing thing forever most likely). Unfortunately the media is heavily scattered all over the place and some of it might be too low res and need a custom replacement so that’s going to take longer than planned.

Will try and take some better pics later or tomorrow. Next job is to tidy up the rest of the wiring that’s already in place then will probably install the 24v and get some flipper solenoids hooked up for testing!

-RpT
              Participant
                @rpt

Been busy on a couple of odds and ends, polishing up the frontend so I can at least enjoy the odd game (looking to get pinball FX3 put to rest although I can see myself going though every table to create a 4K pack before it’s all said and done).  :scratch:

As far as the cab itself, got some work done on the bezel finally!

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062685477.jpg_1535062690116

Bugbear at the moment is the plunger – it’s working great in terms of the axis but Visual Pinball seems extremely clunky about picking it up… almost like i would need a negative deadzone if such a thing exists… I’m sure this is a software problem given the accurate readings in DIVIEW so exploring options to ideally add some kind of “joystick curve” to the plunger. It’s accurate once it starts to read but needs to be pulled out almost half way before that point and not seeing any settings to tweak!

Anyway had the evening off as Thursday is D+D night… Here’s some random beauty shots I just took for a buddy on facebook. Back of the bezel still needs work of course (as well as a lot of things under the hood)…

IMG_20180823_231252

IMG_20180823_231244

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062654610.jpg_1535062659927

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062898155.jpg_1535062901050

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062863707.jpg_1535062872099

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062836616.jpg_1535062840262

IMG_20180821_164730

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062970700.jpg_1535062976815

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1535062987293.jpg_1535062989360

“it’s getting there” – I think that’s becoming my new catchphrase…

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

Bugbear at the moment is the plunger – it’s working great in terms of the axis but Visual Pinball seems extremely clunky about picking it up… almost like i would need a negative deadzone if such a thing exists… I’m sure this is a software problem given the accurate readings in DIVIEW so exploring options to ideally add some kind of “joystick curve” to the plunger. It’s accurate once it starts to read but needs to be pulled out almost half way before that point and not seeing any settings to tweak!

Did you use the Windows calibration for controllers on the plunger? That screws up the plunger calibration because it’s expecting a non-linear device (controller analog stick). Clear the calibration if you can.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                  Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                  Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  -RpT
                  Participant
                    @rpt

@LynnInDenver – I didn’t touch the initial setup just plugged the board in really (and it reads fine the axis in DiView both in RAW data and the windows API reading) but i will give this a go to make sure. Thanks for the advice!

-RpT
                    Participant
                      @rpt

Doing the DOF!

So far it’s just the middle flasher but happy dance for a proof of concept working!  :yahoo:

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

@rpt just post link to youtube dont “embed” it with the iframe share thing or it wont work :)

i fixed the one above. simply past normal html link

DOF is great!

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

-RpT
                        Participant
                          @rpt

In love with some of these tables already – got everything that was hosted over at monstercab working over the last couple of evenings as the site is set to close soon :cry:

FP will be next to install along with expanding the DOF outputs to more than a single flasher! I made some mini LED arrays to sit behind the bezel assigned to the side flashers but neither seemed to fire correctly which has been puzzling me (probably my wireing tbh – i need to try swapping with the center one as i know that works to troubleshoot). Also DOFlinx is giving me headaches currently which i believe might be due to the cabinet.xml file – i have commented almost everything out and the exception is now being thrown from another line there but can’t find where this file gets generated from originally (or if every output has been hand-typed by the previous owner as this was bundled with the pincontrol2 driver CD). Also still to get my head around the naming convention of the directoutput.ini files…. some come suffixed with numbers, it’s a puzzle what is being called by what process at what time seeing as removing a few that I thought were not in use caused DOF to break so im considering running a process monitor against this soon!

Work on the frontend continues but it’s still a bit of an eyesore – Making my own media for the mostpart (will be sharing here) as not a lot out there in terms of platform videos etc that i could find. In addition i have now discovered the view adjustment settings in VPX which some tables will need tweaking… I can see this being a pandora’s box of work to get done as I can’t unsee the differences between tables now!

Good progress though – at this rate i will have achieved a decent setup by xmas ready to show friends and family which was the original goal… keen to get my hands dirty learning the backend of the software once all the toys are in and behaving themselves! PUP is such a timesaver! :good:

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

awesome progress!

its tough getting everything setup but once it’s done it’s done.

hardest part is keeping up with updates after your build is complete :good:

for IOS and Android

-RpT
                            Participant
                              @rpt

@randr – Im forever greatful to sites such as this and the VPJunkies page on Facebook for keeping up-to-date!

Asperations to build an original VPX table myself as I’m never short on ideas… but i’ll make no promises at this stage as im sure it’s not easy ;)

-RpT
                              Participant
                                @rpt

Has it really been 2 weeks since the last post? Busy getting the software dialled in, things like startup script, popper config, nudge and tilt etc are way more dialled in. Trying to keep FX3 as complete as possible then approaching VPX one table at a time is still my favored approach. To this end I am taking it upon myself to maintain a complete Pinupsystem playfield set for FX3 as one didn’t exist (1440p @60FPS, view 2)…

Get ’em here for now – https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sYzmnpg77tzfNrS-RtouxDIwyCu6OHET

@randr
                                – i tried to upload these before but it seemed not to like it – left it running for many hours and the ones that made it up didn’t seem to finalize :/ maybe too much in one go or too big the file size? If you would like to re-host these in your media section please be my guest (I don’t need credit etc for these – might be easier if you can D/L from google direct to the server)!

As for the build itself, finally got (somewhat of) a handle on DOF (well i cheat and make config files for both the “artnet” and then as a “pincontrol2” device in DOF). The old backbox flasher wasn’t cutting it on it’s own so added an “array” of RGB strip each side. Fills the void nicely – I’m super happy with the experience right now but still a load on my wishlist ^_^

Here’s a video showing off the lightshow around the DMD (excuse the mess in the room – no point tidying things right now).

Full tour of the cab to come at a later date once it’s a bit more complete ;-)

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

cool idea surrounding dmd i dont think i have seen that before. how is it when lights are off? can you still see dmd?

That beacon looks a lot nice too do you have a link to it anywhere?

great video btw :good:

for IOS and Android

-RpT
                                  Participant
                                    @rpt

@RandR – thanks! Here’s the beacon – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LTE-1081-12V-LED-Rotate-Beacon-Signal-Lamp-Emergency-Strobe-Warning-Light-Buzzer/302688100306?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had to mod it still which I think make’s it look fancier than it is! Just some spare bits of wood which i glued then gave 2 coats of India ink… then basically soaked the thing in general purpose adhesive. I like being able to move it around (for example AFM I like having it center, Jurassic Park on the left corner, for some strange reason  :wacko: ).

IMG_20180918_191507

IMG_20180918_191456

Cameron
                                    Participant
                                      @cameron

What site is monstercab?

How did I miss one??????

-RpT
                                      Participant
                                        @rpt

@cameron – Did i say Monstercab? “Monsterbashpincab.com” to give it the correct name!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                        -RpT
                                        Participant
                                          @rpt

2 spare flashers but what to do with them? After a lot of trying things out with little to no impact when playing, I decided to have them right by the player pointing downwards :

IMG_20180922_213404

This creates a circular pool of white light right where the player is standing when the strobes go off. Actually turns out to be a REALLY cool effect – certainly recommend trying this one out at home   B-)

In my reference game Attack From Mars you feel like you are being abducted by the martians for a second when the strobes hit – LOVE IT!!

Meanwhile i installed the outer flashers in  my bezel today – here’s a bunch of pics before testing!

IMG_20180922_133505

IMG_20180922_133519

IMG_20180922_133759

IMG_20180922_133946

All worked out OK so to complete the look i then added another layer of the speaker mesh so that when it lights up you don’t see the actual speakers and the light is defused nicely…. Waiting for housemate to get home then I will post a video of the full ensemble… Looks pretty clean despite the mess behind the bezel so happy days!

Maybe onto the matrix soon, we shall see how my soldering held up….

-RpT
                                          Participant
                                            @rpt

Fortunate that I’ve had some time off this week. I was playing around with EM tables, trying to determine the best POV / physics for my setup so I can then tweak each table individually… Essentially this involved rolling a real pinball down a piece of wood alongside the virtual ball several hundred times whilst tweaking the incline in VPX. Long story short I realised that I would have to aim towards about 5.9 – 6.1 up from a 5.0 incline setting and it’s going to be a nightmare to get the POV correct on top of that.

Therefore have done some experimenting and finally taken the advice of @randr and moved the playfield. It’s about 1-2 inches closer in towards the player and also raised higher and at less of an incline. Early tests do confirm that the illusion is a lot better… I wasn’t expecting much given it’s only an inch or two but the difference is actually quite noticeable. Incline is more like a 5.2 now when emulated by the the virtual ball.

IMG_20181004_142214

IMG_20181004_142224

IMG_20181004_142249

IMG_20181004_142311

Monitor seems to be more or less straight now based on measurements although I keep thinking it isn’t when i look at it, probably due to the exposed framework which definitely is a bit wonky. Need to spend  a bit more time in this configuration and measure a new cover piece for the control panel (looks like i might still be able to squeeze a stick and single row of buttons in). Was hoping to tackle at least solenoids or the matrix this week but this needs to come first in terms of determining the placement of everything!

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 139 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?