Project…. Pin-occhio?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    -RpT
    Participant
      @rpt

@randr – Will do. The solenoids add a lot to the experience for sure!

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Dof is great I wouldn’t enjoy playing digital pinball half as much without it!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Dof and SSF is essential if you ask me. Depending on where the machine is located, it can be a good thing that if you can disable the mechanical feedback, because SSF is only sound so you are able to control the output from that easily. Just in case you want/need to play more quiet. Of course, not as fun as when both are on and cranked all the way up ;-)

-RpT
          Participant
            @rpt

Sounds ok when i’m next to it, will soon see if in the backbox it’s too quiet! Pendleton bike bell + 12v chinese push type contactor

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Well its better then nothing but not very “bell” sounding… Maybe try i different mounting system? My bell has solenoid mounted inside of the bell so very solid hit to it. I could do a video of mine if needed

for IOS and Android

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Did I quick video…

for IOS and Android

-RpT
                Participant
                  @rpt

@randr thanks for the vid, they sound beautiful! I was thinking i will probably have to get a bigger bell, after seeing your other video lol… but its still kind of fun for comedy value. I might mount it on something a bit nicer looking and make it a visible feature on top of a real bell ;)

Chimes i have no idea what i can do yet… I had a look and it seems unlikely i will find them for a reasonable price in the UK… If I can find some kind of toy that’s half decent or 2nd hand xylophone keys it might be my best bet. Then use either the same 12v solenoids as the bell but maybe I will need to use 24 volt coils for a harder hit like the replay knocker coil i mounted (I’m assuming that’s similar to your bell hammer).

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

Yeah the bell solenoid is like a knocker solenoid. I don’t think a xylophone toy will have same sound as a pinball chime unit but it might be close… remember these things were used as sound in pinball before sound pcb’s so they are loud and sound fantastic.

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

Have that same bell in my vp cab, I love it.  There was one in my Golden Arrow too, but I sold that ;(

There is one in Time Line as well but for the life of me I can’t figure out what solenoid # it is, not listed in the manual and I’m somewhat color blind so tracing wires is a pain and I’ve only managed to make it go off one time playing the real machine.. I think earning an extra ball or maybe a special it rings it like 5 times.  I’ll have to play around some more and see if I can figure it out before it goes away.

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

@borgdog yeah Humpty Dumpty has a bell and thinknive heard it go off only a few times so either it’s not working right or I have no clue how to get it to fire while in game

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

-RpT
                        Participant
                          @rpt

IMG_20190703_101458

Gave it my best shot at fixing the broken usb connector on the pro micro, this is the result after a couple of hours. It didn’t work and I broke it further (beyond repair) on the next attempt, after this image was taken. Apparently this is a very common issue with the device as I found multiple reports and fix guides on the topic. The board is a cheap knock-off version of the official arduino USB controller (apparently) so it’s a bit of a shame that an otherwise premium board uses this, but on the other hand it’s good he sockets it (as opposed to solder) so at least it can be switched out!

IMG_20190705_155844

… however until i can get a replacement that has been flashed with the correct image, the socket sits empty. :cry:   The board cost only a couple of pounds on aliexpress but the only replacement must come from vpin-shop due to the image being a trade secret (I assume as when I asked, the only option is for a replacement board to be sent). This is the main problem with this solution, which i hadn’t considered when i made the decision to go with the Pincontrol. It does leave me with concern for the future since I wish this cabinet to run for many years, and also to be serviceable down the road, where who knows if this one man operation has left the hobby… with no replacements (I am now thinking i need a 2nd board in storeage for backup) only a total refit using a different controller would bring the cabinet from the dead, as it currently sits, since even though the part is easily available, the firmware is not.

I will eventually be doing a full review video of the pc2 board I think, once all the toys I want to add are connected and working. As a quick summary for now there have only been a couple of issues, this being by far the biggest one and I otherwise still love the board. Bittersweet month as I have paid off the initial loan i took out for the cab last year… but about a year on it’s close to being finished on the hardware however I can’t play it at all right now! Quite an anxious time until i know for sure replacements are coming so i have instead pushed ahead where possible on some of the remaining hardware stuff…

-RpT
                          Participant
                            @rpt

IMG_20190705_155409

IMG_20190705_155417

IMG_20190705_160056

…. Control panel shots, fairly self explanatory!

IMG_20190705_155603

IMG_20190705_155612

IMG_20190705_155624

Shots showing underneath and the backboard. Under the lockdown you can see the board with cutaways that slides in, then the control deck drops down with the wires into the openings.

Using the ultimarc RGB gold leafs for this which will be connected to the ulitmarc ultimate i/o board for full control over the lights in different games! :)

IMG_20190705_155847

Just using some kind of MDF / hardboard… with our old friend the India Ink and a coat of the same matt spray-on finish that i used before when constructing the cab. Pretty happy with how it turned out (again was expecting i might have to re-do but it looks and feels fine).

IMG_20190705_155443

IMG_20190705_155652

Made a shelf which attached to the monitor support beam for the I/O board to sit. Definitely needed as this will not be able to stay connected if I need to take the playfield out in future.

IMG_20190705_155523

… For now the chopstick solution to keeping the panel on is in play. I will try to add something more robust in future but it does the trick in preventing accidental lifting of the panel. It’s a big win I think, if I can prevent there being screws in the top piece so it needs to attach from the underside.

Overall, not a million miles from how i envisioned this, it did take a bit of planning but I’m pretty happy as a first attempt… it seems like it will be playable!  :good:

IMG_20190705_160123

Q: How many space invaders can you find hiding in the above picture!?  :mail:

-RpT
                            Participant
                              @rpt

Fan test… “blow me bitches”  LOL.

It’s a strong effect – to be expected from a 24v bilge blower! I like it a lot more than i was expecting. I think i need a topper now to cover it all with some lights that get triggered at the same time… notice the lack of LED matrix… to be replaced by my fancy new one except i broke another usb, this time on the TEENSY32  :/

Whoops :-(

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Yea the fan seems silly but surprisingly it’s a great feedback toy. Play whirlwind it’s great! Also good on mideval madness when the catipult goes off. Just a neat surprise when it goes off.

for IOS and Android

-RpT
                                Participant
                                  @rpt

@randr – whirlwind was actually the first table i tried, after the DOF test of course!

Blower, i’m hoping, should be safe to run even for a long period (as per Whirlwind if you keep the ball live) since it’s so massively over-engineered for the purpose… but i will be adding a fuse to this one when it arrives anyway, just because it sounds a bit scary and high-powered and I don’t want my pincontrol getting fried… Also good that it’s someplace where nothing can get in because it looks like it could chew through a lot of wires, fingers, or anything else in it’s path!

Chimes will be ready made at the end of the month, seriously looking forward to that… Even having the bell go off at the moment is a delightful bit of feedback. I actually like EM tables quite a lot, even though they are before my time. Bit more simplistic and slow moving is just what you need sometimes.

Next is to reinforce and hook up the ultimarc for aracade controls and add a second layer of lighting effects controlled by LEDBlinky instead of DOF (or a mix of the two)… Or to re-attach the addressable, whichever delivery arrives first.

Then the backlog of tables to try… it’s so many and my time keeps getting taken up by playing AFM!  :wacko:

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Twister over does fan so try that table. I think Sega knew it was not a very cool machine so they added more fan to try and make it cooler but if a pin sucks it sucks :)

for IOS and Android

-RpT
                                    Participant
                                      @rpt

Will give it a go later, it’s warm here at the moment so the fan tables are very refreshing!

-RpT
                                      Participant
                                        @rpt

Quick preview – the rebuild of my matrix… however I am still awaiting for a replacement teensy and also need to work on a new mounting solution since this is a thicker board that doesn’t bend (It will hopefully look a lot cleaner than before).

IMG_20190727_160612

These are my hot tip if you are making one yourself… If i had on the first attempt i might not be needed to make the 2nd one!

12mm 5 pin clips. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983138309.html

of course the outside pins are not used for the addressable LED’s to transmit since they only have 3 pads, still handy to grip the strip.

IMG_20190727_160548

needs to be a groove in the board or they wont lie flat because of the back of the clip

IMG_20190727_160847

Even then you will need to clip the plastic down with snips. Both sides and the leading edge gives a snug fit (with a little pin bending). Not only this but i also roughed up the pad of the LED strip with a razor and put some solder on the middle (data) pin only. Then heated the pin so it sticks. The ground and power wires do just about touch but i am injecting those lines on every strip anyway. You could solder all 3 if you are careful not to bridge any pads.

IMG_20190804_143659

IMG_20190804_143635

IMG_20190804_143621

Its the same size as the old one – 7 rows of 77. I started from the beginning of the strip however. Less soldering as the left is done by the factory but the solder joint that comes with the strip is in a different spot (right hand side in the picture above). Got it lined up better this time…

IMG_20190804_143708

and from the back… an anxious wait now for the teensy in order to try it out!  :scratch:

Holiday at the end of the month will be mostly spent working on the beast so more to come soon, including :

• Building a custom topper
                                        • LEDblinky / I-pac ultimate setup
                                        • Finishing the arcade controls (and attachment) solution
                                        • upgraded bell
                                        • chimes…
                                        zimbakin
                                        Participant
                                          @zimbakin

Cool!

Never take advice from me,
                                          you'll end up drunk.

-RpT
                                          Participant
                                            @rpt

Adventures into DIY topper creation using hand tools, from the last week or so. I have no idea what i’m doing!  :whistle:

IMG_20190804_143801

IMG_20190810_154310

I made some kind of shape at least! Arch is pretty wonky as were the cutouts for the strobes but it’s all about LAYERS (as with many things in this hobby). Won’t look in the least bit authentic as per the similar approach with the backbox layout. In both cases I am trading authenticity for better light show!

Big love to the purists, I like the bells and whistles as well as a bit of a unique look myself  B-)

Which is probably a good thing considering the state of my topper….

IMG_20190810_154330

IMG_20190810_173004

… a LOT of rasping, sanding and sawing of fingers had to happen to get to this stage.

IMG_20190810_182546

Still a WIP for a while i think…. honestly toying with the idea of some curtains around the blower hole at the front. Definitely would like some kind of cage there so streamers can blow as the fan goes off. Also I’m going to try adding channels for “fan” in DOF ,hooked up to the 3 channels of an RGB strip, so when the fan blows it also lights up! Plan also includes another 5 bar flasher, undercab and possibly a couple of additional lighting channels on top of that… I’m basically going to max out whatever i have spare on the ultimate i/o with different bling around the cab. Almost completely maxed out the Pincontrol board for outputs as it is!

IMG_20190811_211802

Testing the perch. Also bear in mind it’s all getting the india ink once the shape is done.

IMG_20190811_211813

Will be adding some kind of backdrop to fill in the space behind the flashers there. Beacon will also need elevating so it can peek over the top. Lastly a 2nd bell will live there, I am stepping up my bell game although not the full shebang just yet, I’ll test it out soon and report back. More than 1 bell should be pretty cool and i do still love my little bike bell, it gets triggered whenever either the bell or the top chime goes off currently ^_^

IMG_20190811_211416

Angle isn’t great because i’m up a ladder (will get a better pic another time) but basically i glued some bolts into the back of the topper, the wingnut and what is essentially a big square washer clamps the topper to the strobes themselves, which are in turn screwed into the top of the backbox so it’s all locked into the correct position. This in itself is enough for it to be secure but i will also be installing something that sits beneath the blower most likely.

More soon!

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 139 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?