This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Scotty VH 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
     Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

We all routinely hear that the resources are the  primary missing component for table builds. So, I’ve dived into resources for the Punk table, and am hoping dedicated members can progress this forward.

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

Here’s a snapshot of the current status of the playfield:

image7204 -2

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

I noted in pictures and videos of the actual game that the colors are more vibrant.  I’ve made that modification in future versions.

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

Update 1:

bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

Cool. Glad you are taking this on. I considered doing a quick VPX convert to it but the aspect ratio of the VP9 art is incorrect. Were you able to sort it out?

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

I think I have the aspect ratios correct, but I’m no expert!  I used Devil’s Dare as a reference, but please check my math!

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

Update 2:

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

Cool. Glad you are taking this on. I considered doing a quick VPX convert to it but the aspect ratio of the VP9 art is incorrect. Were you able to sort it out?

I think so, Bord.  I worked from Devil’s Dare, but please let me know ASAP if I am off.

bord 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

I think so, Bord. I worked from Devil’s Dare, but please let me know ASAP if I am off.

I’m gonna defer final word to @borgdog, the dimension king of the Gottliebs. I believe it should match his Eclipse. 1122×2250 so 2048×4107 would be a good working resolution.

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

that’s a tough one, without one to actually measure it’s hard to say.  spiderman and eclipse are both system 80 and have the same dimensions, 23 7/8″ x 47 7/8″, Punk is a system 80A, but looking at images of the cabinets I would imagine them to be the same dimensions.  The hard part comes in where does the art fall on the playfield, where does the flipper holes go etc.  They did some weird stuff, with big areas at the back not being used etc.  eclipse I’m fairly confident is mostly accurate although the playfield was based off photo’s not scans, but I would think the flippers are probably in the same place and the apron the same and go from there.  I think that’s where a lot of the mistakes in redraws come from is not having them in the right spot on the playfield even if the overall dimensions are right. having accurate primitive models of things like aprons, which were pretty standard for many years on gottliebs, will help a lot… hopefully something in there made sense.

I’m pretty sure Devil’s Dare was made on the dimension manager measurements before I got them corrected by measuring Amazing spiderman and eclipse (translate to not accurate)

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Scotty the work looks great! Let’s hope it’s the right size before ya get to far! But wow what a project to take on

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

1 user thanked author for this post.
     Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

Thanks for the advice re: dimensions, everybody. I totally get it (as a consumer of tables).   I’ve attached the latest WIP.  The dimensions as I understand them are all reflected.

Please take a look, and advise how should adjust!

rect1610-3

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Thanks for doing all the hard work Scotty.  so here’s what I did.  since I’m fairly confident that Eclipse is fairly accurate for table size, apron size shooter lane rail location, and even main flipper location. I took your image you posted above and brought it into that table and set it as the playfield image.  here’s what I see.

punkVP

So compared to this image I found online, your art definitely needs to go left, and maybe a bit down at least in the bottom to get that lined up right.  maybe you have a better straight down shot to get it lined up better.

punk

you can also pretty clearly see on the VP image where the right outlane is stuck under the rail, also indicating it should move left.

unfortunately that’s as much help as I can figure out  :unsure:

shiva 
    Participant

Nice, those Gottliebs sure had strange designs. Anyway, I have all my old shivasite and personal resources and transfered them on to my new hard drive, and saw this and checked what I have. Found this, a stripped pf of decent quality, so hopefully this will help.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: Jungle Girl

Attachments:
     Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

Cool… thanks for the awesome help and resources, everybody.  I just saw these messages, so I haven’t made adjustments to the locations of things yet, but I think I can do that pretty easily.  Here’s what the latest tracing looks like:

1-30

toxie 
    Participant
    VP DEVMember

Cool to see the process how to approach something like that in detail! And thanks for doing it!  :)

roccodimarco 
    Participant

Looking great guys! I had a lot of fun doing an ok re draw on the vp9 version, this is exciting seeing it go even further!

Scotty VH 
    ModeratorMember

So I shifted things into place, started on the plastics, and imported into the VPX WIP.  It’s looking good and playing good!  Now that the graphics are mostly where they need to be, there will be lots of shifting around and placement of posts, lights, etc.  After that, my skills are about done for this.  Any volunteers to script things properly, validate physics, apply lighting tricks, ball rolling noises, shadows and all of the other cool stuff this community does?

Here’s screenshot showing some of the plastics and the updated playfield image in place:

Screen Shot 02-02-19 at 11.51 AM

Thalamus 
    ContributorMemberModerator

I know of a Gottlieb expert that can do all of those things :yes:   :whistle:

And, he is a friend with another guy that is amazing with blender. ;-)

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

@borgdog wonders who @thalamus may be referring to  :unsure:   it doesn’t look like a loserman table  :bye:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account