Pup-pack fps drop on VPX: CPU or GPU?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    giubby84
    Participant
      @giubby84

Hello guys,

I have a problem running pup-pack based table on my cabinet. My PC is not recent at all: i5 2400, dedicated radeon 270x for playfield, dedicated radeon 270x for backglass and integrated intel for DMD. Tables run well, included the most recent based on the new VPX 10.6 engine but when i setup a pup-pack i have a strong fps drop on the ball. If i run the same table without pup-pack everything is very smooth, but when i enable pup video the ball get very slow. Some table remain playable (for example Stranger Things), but the most run too slowly (Tron, Harry Potter, Jaws).

My question is: where is the problem? The CPU or the GPU? What it appears strange to me is that on the playfield nothing is added with a pup-pack, so with a dedicated GPU for the playfield no additional work should be added. Could it be a CPU based problem related to the physic of the ball? The ball movement is totally handled by the GPU or maybe the CPU could be overloaded by pup-pack videos and audio stream?

I would appreciate some advise before buying the wrong upgrade :)

Thank you for your help.

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

It’s probably a combination of CPU load, and that you’re running your rig on three separate video cards, which means the CPU is working harder to keep it all coordinated than it would with a single graphics card, and since PinUp video is pretty much all on the CPU, that’s pushing you over the limit. Generally speaking, the current recommendation is get one really good graphics card that can do three outputs, and use that and that alone.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

giubby84
        Participant
          @giubby84

Thank you for your help. Following your advice i did some test yesterday. With the backglass on the same video card of the playfield (so just 2 cards instead of 3) i had a great improvement on several tables, for example now the new Harry potter is pertectly fluent. I  still have a big fps drop on other tables with pup pack, for example Tron and Jaws but if i disconnect the DMD on the second card suddenly also those table run perfectly. Apparently the CPU load to coordinate multiple video card is havier than expected. Now i bought an active direct port adapter to be able to connect also the DMD to the same card and then i will do the final test.

Thank you again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?